GDT Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh (10/15/2011)

Corp000085

If you ask me, that seems to be the implication. Leino isn't scoring right off the bat, let's whine about it. How about everyone chills and gives this new lineup some time to gel?

Also, "most of the season"? Most of four whole games? Most of 4.8% of the season? Give me a break.

You are the only one "whining." The rest of us are having a discussion.

2. Aside from that, big win against a talented team even without Malkin and Crosby. Pittsburgh is still a very talented team even without two of the top 3 players in the NHL.

Wait, you think Crosby and Malkin are two of the best 3 players in the league?

Really?

I try not to mention Gerbe too much because I'm a huge fanboi ... but yeh he has been lookin great out there. So who was it last year sayin he didn't belongwith the big boys?

::crickets::

He was a force tonight. He's off to a better start to the season than Ennis.

Good win tonight. Here are some thoughts:

1. Enroth was huge tonight and played extremely well. The first goal wasn't even his fault but should be credited to Regehr for a great deflection.

2. Aside from that, big win against a talented team even without Malkin and Crosby. Pittsburgh is still a very talented team even without two of the top 3 players in the NHL.

3. Gerbe was excellent tonight. Great tenacity and effort and solid play in the defensive zone.

4. I really like Adam as he's got a great nose for the net. But he's still a rookie and has a lot of work to do especially skating and working harder in the defensive zone and faceoffs (he really needs to improve there). But, he's got a really bright future and has been playing really well.

5. Vanek's playmaking skills are highly underrated and he really matured into an all around player last year. We always think of him as a goal scorer, but he can really pass the puck and make plays.

6. Roy's line looked really good tonight overall and I think they are getting some chemistry together.

7. Leino should not play with Ennis. You can't have two playmakers on the same line and they need to be split up. Lindy should play Ennis with Roy and Stafford and put Gerbe with Leino and Boyes. That makes more sense to me.

Really good win to come back from last night's loss. Enjoy it and move on to Montreal on Tuesday night.

Good post. I agree with everything except #7. I would not agree to changing either Roy's line or Adam's line right now. Those 2 lines are really playing well. While I don't disagree that Leino's line hasn't quite put it together yet, I would much rather give them a bit more time than rearranging other lines in order to try to solve the chemistry issues between Leino and Ennis.

Drew Stafford has truly grown up. As long as he stays healthy, his numbers will be amongst the best in the goals category. Let's go Buffalo!

Good call. He was pretty good on the PK tonight as well.

Name the worst Sabre tonight. There was one I can think of.

TBN's Mike Harrington thinks Gragnani was awful tonight. I was not as upset with his play as Harrington, though.

ding ding ding we have a winner. he used to be calm. Now he's freaking out.

He was the worst Sabre tonight, but he wasn't a disaster. He's a young defenseman in his first full season. There are going to be some ups and downs.

He's cashing a $6 mil check this season, maybe the bar should be raised a little higher?

Fair point.

Wait, you think Crosby and Malkin are two of the best 3 players in the league?

Well, I assume your dispute is not regarding Crosby. It's probably a bit generous to Malkin to include him, but it's not crazy either.

My 2 cents on the game:

1. Very good win against a tough team.

2. Stafford's goal was a great feed from Gerbe and a true goalscorer's sniper wrist shot. Mike Bossy used to score them like that.

3. I think Miller is going to be rested and PO'd and play very well on Tuesday.

4. Leino's getting a fair amount of criticism in this thread, but I didn't see any glaring errors or any plays that cost the team. He's not creating offense the way we'd like to see, but I think he will do so given time. I think Ennis may be pressing a bit much and maybe stickhandling too much instead of passing and creating space in the offensive zone. I think that line can succeed given time. In any case I don't see Lindy breaking up either of the other 2 scoring lines. Roy-Stafford-Gerbe was the best line on the ice for either team tonight.

5. Holy rolling 4 lines, Batman: all 12 forwards had between 13:09 and 16:45 of ice time. I don't think I've ever seen that.

6. Vanek made a very nice pass to Luker for his goal, but otherwise I didn't much like Vanek's game.

7. Regehr is solid as a rock.

If you ask me, that seems to be the implication. Leino isn't scoring right off the bat, let's whine about it. How about everyone chills and gives this new lineup some time to gel?

Also, "most of the season"? Most of four whole games? Most of 4.8% of the season? Give me a break.

Agreed. It's complete nonsense to critique anyone playing only their fourth game in a new city and in a new system. Let's hear from you if the situation hasn't changed by mid-season. I know, you probably want Connelly back.

If anyone thinks Lieno is going to pile up stats you are going to be disappointed.

He is a puck possession guy. And probably gave the team the most zone offensive zone time. He hangs onto the puck forever, let's his defense change out and played a great road game.

He's very good at what he does. Although he didn't win faceoffs. He got the puck low in the offensive zone almost every shift. Which is what you do with a lead on the road.

If anyone thinks Lieno is going to pile up stats you are going to be disappointed.

He is a puck possession guy. And probably gave the team the most zone offensive zone time. He hangs onto the puck forever, let's his defense change out and played a great road game.

He's very good at what he does. Although he didn't win faceoffs. He got the puck low in the offensive zone almost every shift. Which is what you do with a lead on the road.

Dern it, don't you go bringing your usual common sense to this discussion. It's been 4 whole games and Leino doesn't have 10 points; he's clearly worthless and another example of how DR doesn't understand this game.

While I'd like to see him win A faceoff before the All-Star Game, other than that I'm fairly pleased with his play to date. He and his linemates are getting a fair amount of time in the offensive zone; hopefully once they get used to each other, they'll actually start scoring. Though Carolina had seemed to scout the spinarama pass the puck 80% of the way through the spinarama move. Hopefully he alters that one slightly.

I agree on the Gragnani posts. His poor play really did stand out. Might be time to give Weber a shot -- not saying the kid blew his chance and should be sent down or whatever, but give Weber a game here and there. Starting with here. Maybe he can play his way into a starting role. I like MAG, still think he's going to be good, had a rough weekend though.

Unfortunately due to massiv freeze problems i was not able to see the whole game in the gamecenter, i only saw the condensed version.

Vanek and Adam did it again, very nice goal!

I bashed the Roy Gerbe Stafford line after the first two games, but in the last two they were really strong together.

I hope Leino, Ennis and Boyes adjust to the real hockey level soon. In preseason there was lots of chemistry, but there was a lot more space too.

And by the way: Leopold and Ehrhoff again have the most icetime of the D pairings. Ok Ehrhoff nearly plays every PP, but the trainer staff trusts them and personally i like them very much. I belive we have two first D pairings, but we also have nearly 4 number one lines (regarding ice time)

A win in Pittsburgh, this is a great thing after being swept last season!

So I'd like to add a third name to the Grags, Leino tough games discussion. How about Ennis?

As I said upthread, I just don't see Ennis' game so far this season. I recognize it is 4 games in, but... He seems to be getting pushed off of the puck a lot. He hasn't done a memorable thing so far other than coughing up the puck.

I keep waiting for THE Ennis that showed his stuff in the playoffs last year.

I'm thinking like others that Ennis, Leino needs to be separated...

Now Regehr I absolutely love watching. His instincts for going to the spot, not always the puck, are great. He cuts folks off and then takes the puck. He does it time after time after time..

Everyone wants to split up Leino Ennis Boyes huh? So here's the problem with that. You'd have to break up Vanek Adam Pommers or Stafford Roy Gerbe or McCormick Gaustad Kaleta. I wouldn't want to break up any of those lines right now.

Maybe when Hecht comes back you bench Boyes.

So I'd like to add a third name to the Grags, Leino tough games discussion. How about Ennis?

As I said upthread, I just don't see Ennis' game so far this season. I recognize it is 4 games in, but... He seems to be getting pushed off of the puck a lot. He hasn't done a memorable thing so far other than coughing up the puck.

The ref made a great play on him - of course he could have called obstuction and holding on himself - but second year players never get that call.

I agree on the Gragnani posts. His poor play really did stand out. Might be time to give Weber a shot -- not saying the kid blew his chance and should be sent down or whatever, but give Weber a game here and there. Starting with here. Maybe he can play his way into a starting role. I like MAG, still think he's going to be good, had a rough weekend though.

Agreed, he appears to have Myers problem of early last year. He is trying to hard and needs to keep it simple like he did last year. He shows moments where you understand why he is there. Also, despite his flubbs, I thought he played better tonight than agains Carolina. But, I still think he needs to take a deep breath and settle down. Weber would be a good alternative and I am not sure having two offensive defensemen on the PP is the answer if neither or going watch the back side.

Last year Grags picked his spots better because he was only moving up when he obviously could and not trying to do too much. The old simplyfying his game adage should apply. He doesn't need to be Buffalo's next great thing, just a talented cog in the team.

Everyone wants to split up Leino Ennis Boyes huh? So here's the problem with that. You'd have to break up Vanek Adam Pommers or Stafford Roy Gerbe or McCormick Gaustad Kaleta. I wouldn't want to break up any of those lines right now.

Maybe when Hecht comes back you bench Boyes.

I saw moments last night where they seem to start finding their groove, especially in the third and it is just a matter of time before they figure it out. Hecht may help there, but may it is just a matter of time. If they do start clicking the Sabres become very tough to lay.

This is what I keep thinking. Although that line isn't lighting it up on the scoresheet, they are able to effectively hold the offensive zone and cycle the puck. This really wears on the opponents D and forward line chasing them around the zone for a minute plus. This can have numerous positive effects:

1. If we are in the opponent's zone, they aren't scoring on us.

2. The fatigue factor could be helping the other lines capitalize on tired dmen.

3. Eventually they can turn puck possession into point production given time.

Keep in mind this is only after FOUR games with three players who prior to this year have never played with each other. Leino is 4 games into a new system. Boyes 4+30ish games into the new system.

I saw moments last night where they seem to start finding their groove, especially in the third and it is just a matter of time before they figure it out. Hecht may help there, but may it is just a matter of time. If they do start clicking the Sabres become very tough to lay.

Good to hear that we are playing hard to get. Make the other teams work to get us in the bedroom :nana:

Archived