GDT Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh (10/15/2011)

Corp000085

If overreacting to a bunch of useless stats is a discussion, then have at it. All I'm reading is drivel.

I guess that logic would also go for all the posts that are more positive critiques or express excitement, right? Since your logic has eliminated all but the off-topic posts I have to wonder why you bother.

Wait, you think Crosby and Malkin are two of the best 3 players in the league?

Really?

Yes.

Tied for #1: Crosby and Ovechkin

#3: Malkin

It's debatable and I'm sure someone will debate me on this, but yeah, I think that when healthy (key phrase there) these are the three best hockey players in the world and the stats generally prove this out.

Yes.

Tied for #1: Crosby and Ovechkin

#3: Malkin

It's debatable and I'm sure someone will debate me on this, but yeah, I think that when healthy (key phrase there) these are the three best hockey players in the world and the stats generally prove this out.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I would offer Stamkos in that #3 spot.

He's off to a slow start this year. I know, he is underperforming on my fantasy team this year.. I don't think he's scored a goal yet..

Looks like he has 1G, 2A in five games..

Everyone wants to split up Leino Ennis Boyes huh? So here's the problem with that. You'd have to break up Vanek Adam Pommers or Stafford Roy Gerbe or McCormick Gaustad Kaleta. I wouldn't want to break up any of those lines right now.

Maybe when Hecht comes back you bench Boyes.

I'll say it .. don't hate me everyone. The most sensical swap in my opinion would be swappin Ennis for Pominville. It breaks the least amount of newly found chemistry in my opinion. It also spreads out our puck-moving forwards a bit (Leino and Ennis on one line = too much). We also know from last year that Ennis and Vanek play very well together. I trust that Poms can play ANYWHERE.

I'll say it .. don't hate me everyone. The most sensical swap in my opinion would be swappin Ennis for Pominville. It breaks the least amount of newly found chemistry in my opinion. It also spreads out our puck-moving forwards a bit (Leino and Ennis on one line = too much). We also know from last year that Ennis and Vanek play very well together. I trust that Poms can play ANYWHERE.

It's an interesting idea, you've reasoned it out well, and Pommer can play anywhere, but I just don't want to break up his line yet.

In their first three seasons in the NHL, Malkin has outscored Stamkos over the same number of games. Having said that, Stamkos has been better the last two seasons than Malkin, but Malkin's been hurt a lot as well. Hence, while healthy, I believe Malkin is better than Stamkos. But even if you want to say Stamkos is better, still Pittsburgh has 2 of the top 5 best players in the NHL on their team. Would anyone disagree with that statement?

In their first three seasons in the NHL, Malkin has outscored Stamkos over the same number of games. Having said that, Stamkos has been better the last two seasons than Malkin, but Malkin's been hurt a lot as well. Hence, while healthy, I believe Malkin is better than Stamkos. But even if you want to say Stamkos is better, still Pittsburgh has 2 of the top 5 best players in the NHL on their team. Would anyone disagree with that statement?

Honestly? Whenever the Sabres play the Penguins, a healthy Malkin has looked like the best player in the league to me. I've never said that about Stamkos.

I just worry that a (hypothetical) line of Vanek-Adam-Ennis would be pretty horrible in its own zone. I think the rationale of putting Vanek and Pommer with Adam is that we knew the rook would make mistakes and was a weaker backchecker. The more experienced Vanek and Pommers can cover up for Adam and keep his confidence up while he gets acclimated to the NHL game.

Putting Ennis on that line would put way too much pressure on Adam performing in both ends at a high level. Right now he can focus on his strengths and is finding success.

I agree with your sentiment, I just wanted to throw out another name into the hat. I don't think there is any question that when healthy the Pens hit the proverbial jackpot with those back to back drafts (2004 and 2005).

1. If we are in the opponent's zone, they aren't scoring on us.Keep in mind this is only after FOUR games with three players who prior to this year have never played with each other. Leino is 4 games into a new system. Boyes 4+30ish games into the new system.

In the old days that adage was called that "the one puck rule"! We also called coffee java.

Everyone wants to split up Leino Ennis Boyes huh? So here's the problem with that. You'd have to break up Vanek Adam Pommers or Stafford Roy Gerbe or McCormick Gaustad Kaleta. I wouldn't want to break up any of those lines right now.

Maybe when Hecht comes back you bench Boyes.

I don't think it's too big of a deal because Lindy switched the lines up last night. In the second part of the game, he had Kaleta with Ennis and Leino, and Boyes with Goose and McCormick.

I just worry that a (hypothetical) line of Vanek-Adam-Ennis would be pretty horrible in its own zone. I think the rationale of putting Vanek and Pommer with Adam is that we knew the rook would make mistakes and was a weaker backchecker. The more experienced Vanek and Pommers can cover up for Adam and keep his confidence up while he gets acclimated to the NHL game.

Putting Ennis on that line would put way too much pressure on Adam performing in both ends at a high level. Right now he can focus on his strengths and is finding success.

Bang on

I am not too concerned about Ennis and Leino on the same line, or how they're off to slow starts. They are a puck possession line and they are doing it well. I know people hate the comparison but Ennis does have a lot of Max in his game, skating circles in the offensive zone and holding on to the puck. Of course, he also has a lot of better-than-Max in him that allows him to battle incredibly well on the boards for his size and is a better set-up man. There was one time Ennis had the puck in the slot 20 feet out and passed off the shot, I wish he would have shot it. But all-in-all, I thought the Ennis Leino Boyes line played pretty good. Didn't score any goals, but they worked the puck until the defense was gassed and created some chances. Honestly, Stafford's goal aside, I thought that line outperformed the Roy/Stafford/Gerbe line, who I still think hasn't shown much chemistry through 4 games-- but Stafford has three goals and Gerbe has played consistently well (he is truly one of the only players I can say gives it his all every single shift), so overall I think these line combinations are fine.

Honestly? Whenever the Sabres play the Penguins, a healthy Malkin has looked like the best player in the league to me. I've never said that about Stamkos.

I think I would also agree with this. Stamkos is a heck of a goal-scorer (and seems to ALWAYS get one or two against Buffalo <_< ) but I was terrified of playing Malkin before his injuries. The guy has it all and I think he's a better all-around player than Stamkos, except IIRC Malkin is not a great back-checker. But when healthy, he is definitely a Top 5 player, probably Top 3. Unfortunately at this point -- missing games because of soreness in his surgically repaired knee -- one has to wonder if we'll ever see Malkin at 100% again.

I really don't think it's fair to put #1 or #2 by players names to see whos the best because it's a never ending debate. It's all opinion based. However, i think theres a select few in the top tier of elite players in the NHL, and that tier would include Stamkos and Malkin IMO.

I really don't think it's fair to put #1 or #2 by players names to see whos the best because it's a never ending debate. It's all opinion based. However, i think theres a select few in the top tier of elite players in the NHL, and that tier would include Stamkos and Malkin IMO.

Right now I'd include that guy on Long Island. Whats his name? Oh ya, Tavares. He's rippin it up in my fantasy pool and one of the reasons I'm hovering around #1. Stamkos is good but when it comes to the young stars there's not much that separates some of them.

I think I would also agree with this. Stamkos is a heck of a goal-scorer (and seems to ALWAYS get one or two against Buffalo <_< ) but I was terrified of playing Malkin before his injuries. The guy has it all and I think he's a better all-around player than Stamkos, except IIRC Malkin is not a great back-checker. But when healthy, he is definitely a Top 5 player, probably Top 3. Unfortunately at this point -- missing games because of soreness in his surgically repaired knee -- one has to wonder if we'll ever see Malkin at 100% again.

I have the same concerns about Crosby. They are both too young and too skilled. Their absence hurts the entire league.

[/b]

I have the same concerns about Crosby. They are both too young and too skilled. Their absence hurts the entire league.

The Pittsburgh fans are bitching about Malkin already. They say he isn't playing because the skin around his knee where his stitches were is tight. :unsure:

Lazy russian, soft, et al.

I am not too concerned about Ennis and Leino on the same line, or how they're off to slow starts. They are a puck possession line and they are doing it well. I know people hate the comparison but Ennis does have a lot of Max in his game, skating circles in the offensive zone and holding on to the puck. Of course, he also has a lot of better-than-Max in him that allows him to battle incredibly well on the boards for his size and is a better set-up man. There was one time Ennis had the puck in the slot 20 feet out and passed off the shot, I wish he would have shot it. But all-in-all, I thought the Ennis Leino Boyes line played pretty good. Didn't score any goals, but they worked the puck until the defense was gassed and created some chances. Honestly, Stafford's goal aside, I thought that line outperformed the Roy/Stafford/Gerbe line, who I still think hasn't shown much chemistry through 4 games-- but Stafford has three goals and Gerbe has played consistently well (he is truly one of the only players I can say gives it his all every single shift), so overall I think these line combinations are fine.

Ennis has 7 shots on goal to Luke Adam's 10, Derek Roy's 4 and Staffords 10... its not that he is not shooting its that the line needs a player to drive to the net... That Line is doing precisely what it was intended to do, keep the puck in the offensive zone for long periods of time, personally I would like Kaleta up with them just to see how that goes. Kaleta has show flashes of being more than just a tank and he can score rebounds and forecheck well. 1 full game would give us a good indication of this. Also Dropping Boyes to the 4th line would give that line a little more offensive threat and I think it makes sense all the way around.

Archived