F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

The undergrad who's been with us for the last 6 weeks has been great (competent, independent, and just a super nice person), and before leaving today she gave me a card thanking me for all my help and included a $30 (!) Starbucks gift card, too! It's been fun getting to know the students this summer and helping them learn, but I'm looking forward to not having to train anyone next week so I can make more headway on my project.

Nice list of breweries, including many I've never heard of. Of the ones I'm familiar with I wouldn't miss New Belgium, Southern Tier, Lagunitas, Stone, Sweetwater and Oskar Blues

Southern Tier has started showing up in bars and restaurants down here as of late. A couple of the local TN breweries on the list that I highly recommend: Calfkiller (very good beers) and Yazoo. A few of the brewers I've never heard of (Czann's, BFM, Good People). I'm looking forward to trying some new ones!

What started out as a small side project to follow up on a collaborator's findings has unexpectedly turned into a very interesting main project that could easily lead to a publication or two. Still too early to tell, but exciting, nonetheless!

Southern Tier has started showing up in bars and restaurants down here as of late. A couple of the local TN breweries on the list that I highly recommend: Calfkiller (very good beers) and Yazoo. A few of the brewers I've never heard of (Czann's, BFM, Good People). I'm looking forward to trying some new ones!

That is sweet!

Also and being from Nashville LPF or Potato (they were one in the same right?) Talked to the GF last night and it is a go for Sabres Predators in March, pretty excited.

Also even though the weather sucks I am heading to Atlanta tonight with the case of beer I have in my trunk for some fun partying!

Achieved the first plasma today in an experiment I designed, built, and ran. Good times.

30uwrgk.jpg

Opens the gateway, lots more fun work to do.

Nice. I know the feeling. I've been attempting to propagate one particular antiviral resistant strain of flu for three weeks with no luck. I tried changing my infection media when I inoculated my cells on Wednesday, so I looked under the scope this morning and.... CPE all over the flask! I was beginning to worry I had lost my touch.

At the risk of being too obtuse, a certain NHL player who hails from a certain part of the City of Buffalo is reportedly bringing a certain championship trophy to the area soon, as in VERY soon. My request to the Sabres front office: I'm sure that with your connections you can figure out where and when the Stan...er, this certain trophy will be. Please, go take a look at the number of people that will be surrounding it hoping to get a glimpse. Observe their enthusiasm and passion just to SEE the darned thing. Then imagine what those fans would be like if the Sabres actually won the...trophy. Finally, go take a look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, "Am I doing everything I can to bring a Stanley Cup championship to Buffalo?" If you even have to think about your answer for a moment, then you aren't. Then ask, "Why not?".

Oh, and yes, science DOES rule. Glowing plasma in a glass tube - it even LOOKS cool. Nicely done! And although it's been since college that I tried gowing bugs in media, it's darned frustrating when they just won't grow. Awesome.

On top of all that, the weather for the weekend looks freakin' fantastic!

:clapping:

Edited by Sabre Dance

Nice. I know the feeling. I've been attempting to propagate one particular antiviral resistant strain of flu for three weeks with no luck. I tried changing my infection media when I inoculated my cells on Wednesday, so I looked under the scope this morning and.... CPE all over the flask! I was beginning to worry I had lost my touch.

So when 90% of the world's population is wiped out by some new type of super flu, I will know who to blame.

So when 90% of the world's population is wiped out by some new type of super flu, I will know who to blame.

You can't blame me. I'm only working with seasonal flu (H1N1, H3N2 and B). While these can and have caused pandemics (except B), it's the H5N1 and H7N9 and the like that are more worrisome from a truly catastrophic standpoint. Those are biosafety level 3, and we don't have those lab facilities available at my site.

You can't blame me. I'm only working with seasonal flu (H1N1, H3N2 and B). While these can and have caused pandemics (except B), it's the H5N1 and H7N9 and the like that are more worrisome from a truly catastrophic standpoint. Those are biosafety level 3, and we don't have those lab facilities available at my site.

Blah blah blah... I'm still blaming you (if I survive). My mind is set and you will not change it. :P