Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
...

All About Natural Disasters

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think it's past us now. This storm produced ping pong ball size hail.

Seems early in the year for tornadoes, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh. Tornadoes hit in every month of the year. It’s just obviously more likely in spring and summer months. Not to mention Texas, as you know is the tornado capital of the world. Which sucks, because I really have considered moving to Texas or perhaps Utah when I retire. Getting the hell out of NY as soon as I can. State is going to hell. On many levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Meh. Tornadoes hit in every month of the year. It’s just obviously more likely in spring and summer months. Not to mention Texas, as you know is the tornado capital of the world. Which sucks, because I really have considered moving to Texas or perhaps Utah when I retire. Getting the hell out of NY as soon as I can. State is going to hell. On many levels.

NY is getting very restrictive on many fronts, that is true.

Yes, there are Tornado's every month, of every year in the United States, that is true. And yes, the warm moist air from the gulf meeting the dry warm air sliding off the rockies forms supercells that create many of those tornado's.

Texas does have the most Tornado's annually, yes, Kansas has the most active and Alabama and I believe one other state have the most F5's, but yes, Texas has the most.

Utah is beautiful, both North and South. Highly recommend the Ogden area, Provo/Orem corridor, Moab or around St. George.

I spent many years along the front range, from Texas/New Mexico all the way up to Wyoming/Montana and everywhere in between. Your statements are correct.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I was looking for the Natural Disaster thread, but could not find it.  So, I'll just drop this beaut in here ...

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/144147.shtml?cone#contents

Here we go again ...

I saw that last night.  Looks like next Tuesday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I was looking for the Natural Disaster thread, but could not find it.  So, I'll just drop this beaut in here ...

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/144147.shtml?cone#contents

Here we go again ...

This time toward you... be safe... batten down the hatches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I saw that last night.  Looks like next Tuesday?

Yup.  Looks like overnight, just like Juan in 2003.  Thanks for moving my post too.

6 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

This time toward you... be safe... batten down the hatches

Thanks.

Now we are right on the coast.  Literally ... I can throw a stone from our deck and have it land in the Atlantic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest track shows Teddy staying a bit off shore as it passes mainland NS.  That would put us on the rain side.  They are predicting around 100mm of rain and storm surge with winds about 75km / hour as it passes by.  Still early, but this is a better forcast.  Still don't see how the whole province won't lose power.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/145249.shtml?cone#contents

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Where are you?  I live in Mission Viejo and slept through it.   

Camp Pendleton. I didn’t feel it but other people did and I had to look it up in the news. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Camp Pendleton. I didn’t feel it but other people did and I had to look it up in the news. 

Appreciate what you do.  Respect.  The last one I was upstairs in like 10 seconds to check on my boys.  This time the 11 year old wakes me up to ask if everything was ok.  Me (feeling nothing) -  yeah go back to bed.  

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

Camp Pendleton. I didn’t feel it but other people did and I had to look it up in the news. 

Hey after this over and I head out there will drop you a pm.  My Dad lives up the Hill from Mission St Louis Rey off Ranch Del Oro

You as well Broken... either of you guys skate out at twin rinks in Escondido?

Edited by North Buffalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Hey after this over and I head out there will drop you a pm.  My Dad lives up the Hill from Mission St Louis Rey off Ranch Del Oro

You as well Broken... either of you guys skate out at twin rinks in Escondido?

I haven’t skated in over a year. I’ve been thinking about getting back into hockey though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I haven’t skated in over a year. I’ve been thinking about getting back into hockey though.

Not sure if it is still going but use to have a good pickup game around noon time during the week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Hey after this over and I head out there will drop you a pm.  My Dad lives up the Hill from Mission St Louis Rey off Ranch Del Oro

You as well Broken... either of you guys skate out at twin rinks in Escondido?

I moved out here in the 90's after college.  Haven't skated (outside of taking my kids at Christmas to an outdoor rink in Irvine) in over 30 years.  Tried surfing for a while.  Most of the unmarried types were playing golf and basketball so I never went back.   I would embarrass myself.   Now I'm just too damn old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I moved out here in the 90's after college.  Haven't skated (outside of taking my kids at Christmas to an outdoor rink in Irvine) in over 30 years.  Tried surfing for a while.  Most of the unmarried types were playing golf and basketball so I never went back.   I would embarrass myself.   Now I'm just too damn old. 

Never too old

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Just missed you?

Not really, but kind of.  Thanks.

We were very lucky right where we are with wind directions at everything.  The brunt of it came from the Northeast, which is rare and is best possible direction for our home location and our neighbours beside us.  Just around a curve in the road and it would hit those folks straight on.

It was bad enough and it seemed like the power would go out any second, but it has not yet.  Still not out of the woods since it ws such a huge storm, but the worst is over for us.

I have not ventured outside yet.  Waiting a bit more for the winds to calm even more.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/07/california-fire-caused-by-explosive-at-gender-reveal-party

 

 

Just a shame, I hope they are prosecuted heavily. Stupid social media and its negative ramifications on the planet. Just have the damn kid and get it over with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/07/california-fire-caused-by-explosive-at-gender-reveal-party

 

 

Just a shame, I hope they are prosecuted heavily. Stupid social media and its negative ramifications on the planet. Just have the damn kid and get it over with. 

Okay, redo. I honestly had no idea what a gender reveal party was.

I would say, better yet, those people shouldn’t even have the kid.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Okay, redo. I honestly had no idea what a gender reveal party was.

I would say, better yet, those people shouldn’t even have the kid.

They have exploded in popularity over the last 5 years with social media, people come up with all kinds of stupid ways to have blue or pink explode and etc....

The Amazon and Pantanal are on fire and it's highly believed it's arson related to plant more sugar cane and coffee. Greed. 

Side note, I was in Sao Paolo today, it's devastating how it looks, the city center was just sprawled with tents and homeless people, Covid has really dessimated the place other than the elite, not from sickness but from the economic fallout.... Meanwhile there was a dumb @ss teenage girl doing glamour shots with a friend in the street for Instagram pics while in the background was pure devastation. I'm so glad I can't speak portuguese or it may have been bad.

I feel I may need to start doing some medical work in Brazil after some of this trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...