Ecklund says Calgary and Sabres discussing trade

freester

I found a story last night that took the Sabres / Flames trade rumor and added in the spice of Jerome Iginla being part of the deal.

I love speculation. Sometimes it is the equivalent of pissing in an unlit bathroom.

Well that just about sums it up! :clapping:

I never visit this guys site, I get all my "news" from the site by reading everyone here complain about it...good enough for me :thumbsup:

Well that just about sums it up! :clapping:

I never visit this guys site, I get all my "news" from the site by reading everyone here complain about it...good enough for me :thumbsup:

It wasnt a story on that hockeybuzz site...I never go there. I value my thoughts too much.

I found a story last night that took the Sabres / Flames trade rumor and added in the spice of Jerome Iginla being part of the deal.

I love speculation. Sometimes it is the equivalent of pissing in an unlit bathroom.

One of the trainers on the Sabres posted on his facebook that the deal was Pominville and Sekera for Iginla. He claims Poms doesn't want to waive his NTC but that apparently Iginla wants to come here. Is it true? Who knows. Probably doesn't happen but it's still exciting to think about Iginla in Blue and Gold. He has been one of my favorites since 2001. I've always hoped we'd somehow get him. If I recall, Darcy almost traded Peca for him years ago.

Rumor that Darcy targeted Iginla in Nov. 2010..... (granted it is bleacherreport)

Old Iginla rumor

One of the trainers on the Sabres posted on his facebook that the deal was Pominville and Sekera for Iginla. He claims Poms doesn't want to waive his NTC but that apparently Iginla wants to come here. Is it true? Who knows. Probably doesn't happen but it's still exciting to think about Iginla in Blue and Gold. He has been one of my favorites since 2001. I've always hoped we'd somehow get him. If I recall, Darcy almost traded Peca for him years ago.

Rumor that Darcy targeted Iginla in Nov. 2010..... (granted it is bleacherreport)

Old Iginla rumor

They would have to be smoking crack to do a deal like that or getting ready to sell the team to the Chinese. What a steal that deal would be in our little late august fantasy world. .Vanek and the IG..oh my..you would need slow mo to count the passes on a 2 on 1...all those torn goalie jocks.......Somebody gave POM a no trade? Yikes!

What a steal that would have been IF true................Somebody gave POM a no trade?

I would think draft picks or a prospect would have to be thrown in.

It does work though player wise. Both teams are close to the cap. We'd actually be gaining a slight amount of space if it happened.

I would imagine Robyn Regehr could have told Iginla that he should come play for Buffalo. After all they've played together for many years. If Iginla looked at our team and what's going on organizationally, I don't see why he wouldn't want to come with the notion that we are a legit contender.

Old Iginla rumor

That trade would clearly signal that Pegula wants a Cup and he wants it now. I don't like that Iginla is 34, but he is still playing at a ridiculously high level and certainly has a few good years left in the tank. At some point you gotta shove the chips in the middle and say "all in." Nice to finally have an owner who is willing to do that.

Old Iginla rumor

what do you mean by "One of the trainers on the Sabres?" also, though i like the idea of this trade, pominville's NTC is a modified NTC in which he can provide a list of 8 teams NOT to be traded to (according to capgeek). is Calgary really bad enough that Pominville would have them on the list with seven other teams? i'm not sure. i mean... florida, ottawa, winnipeg, edmonton, columbus are almost no brainers... then you have the islanders (who he MIGHT be okay playing with a young team coming into their own), toronto (unless he loves TC and Clarke, i doubt he goes there), new jersey, colorado... are all those teams really better destinations than calgary? idk.

what do you mean by "One of the trainers on the Sabres?" also, though i like the idea of this trade, pominville's NTC is a modified NTC in which he can provide a list of 8 teams NOT to be traded to (according to capgeek). is Calgary really bad enough that Pominville would have them on the list with seven other teams? i'm not sure. i mean... florida, ottawa, winnipeg, edmonton, columbus are almost no brainers... then you have the islanders (who he MIGHT be okay playing with a young team coming into their own), toronto (unless he loves TC and Clarke, i doubt he goes there), new jersey, colorado... are all those teams really better destinations than calgary? idk.

Maybe he doesn't want to play in the West because of travel? (pure speculation)

Maybe he doesn't want to play in the West because of travel? (pure speculation)

that could be true, i won't pretend that i know where jason wants to play or what would go into his decision. there also the chance that capgeek is wrong on his limited NTC -- i recall a few months ago they had a different players NMC stipulations wrong on their site.

however i'd still like to know where this rumor originated... a Sabres trainer posted it on their facebook? idk about that. Where's the article about him getting fired?

however i'd still like to know where this rumor originated... a Sabres trainer posted it on their facebook? idk about that. Where's the article about him getting fired?

This.

If a Sabre trainer actually made a comment like that, he would no longer be a Sabre trainer.

and this.

The only employee that would give up sensitive information like this is an ex-employee. One that doesn't ever want to work for a pro sports team again.

Besides, we are supposed to believe that a trainer has the inside scoop on the wheelings and dealings of management? really?

how about sekera and kotalik for Iginla... :rolleyes:

idk even if Pommers has a NTC and that was the deal, I sure would not want to play for a team that asked me to waive it, but that is me not Jason Pominville. Even for me (figured id beat you all to it) this trade is weak sauce without something else involved.

My first question is not about Pommer's NTC but how a Sabres' trainer is going to keep his job while posting proposed trades on his Facebook page. Or for that matter, why is the trainer even in the loop in August? And on the same day we have some other rumor about a deal being in place for the Bills to move after this season? Really? Color me skeptical ....

how about sekera and kotalik for Iginla... :rolleyes:

idk even if Pommers has a NTC and that was the deal, I sure would not want to play for a team that asked me to waive it, but that is me not Jason Pominville. Even for me (figured id beat you all to it) this trade is weak sauce without something else involved.

sekera and pommer isn't enough, but to be honest sekera/pommer + a first rounder or a recent first round selection (not ennis, not myers -- i'm thinking more like Mark Pysyk) would probably be pretty close. If not just a first round pick, then Pysyk + a third or fourth.

Iginla is 34 and is not going to win a cup in Calgary. In return the Flames would be getting a solid two way, first line winger who's a potential candidate for future captaincy, a promising young offensive defensemen -- perhaps they could even develop him into a powerplay QB eventually, he's got a long career ahead of him, PLUS a first round selection in Mark Pysyk who projects to become a top 4, two-way defenseman. not a bad deal for a team trying to rebuild, and not TOO much for a dominant forward with a max of 3 or 4 productive years left.

but all that said, i don't believe the rumor either. lol. i know relationships these days aren't official until they're on facebook, but the day facebook becomes a medium for hockey rumors is the day i call it quits.

I have always felt that Iggy would be a perfect Sabre. He is the type of player the fans would instantly love.

He would bring the leadership we have sorely lacked for 4 years now. A rare combination of tenacity and skill that would make us automatic cup contenders ASAP. Only drawback is his age, but he's still got it.

If the deal really is Iggy for Pommers and Sekera, that's a nice deal. Flames fans would probably want blood if it happens.

The more I think about it, the worse it is from the Flames' end ... if Calgary is going to unload Iginla, even if it is at his request so he can get a Cup run somewhere and they agree to do it out of respect, why take on Pominville's deal? Why not take Boyes, Sekera and whatever else so at least you gain cap space after this coming season when Boyes' deal is up? And that's just one example on the Sabres, there have to be other possibilities out there that don't lock them in for almost $16 million over the next three years just for Pominville. I like Pommer a lot, but if I am rebuilding, I don't want to take on that deal.

The more I think about it, the worse it is from the Flames' end ... if Calgary is going to unload Iginla, even if it is at his request so he can get a Cup run somewhere and they agree to do it out of respect, why take on Pominville's deal? Why not take Boyes, Sekera and whatever else so at least you gain cap space after this coming season when Boyes' deal is up? And that's just one example on the Sabres, there have to be other possibilities out there that don't lock them in for almost $16 million over the next three years just for Pominville. I like Pommer a lot, but if I am rebuilding, I don't want to take on that deal.

Pommer is a long-term solution while Boyes would be a rental. Pommer's deal isn't "cap friendly" but he's a good player, and would probably be a decent role model for the younger kids that Calgary should be adding in their lineup via the draft, while phasing out the older veterans -- Iginla's 7 mil, Langkow's 4.5, Hagman & Jokinen's 3 mil (each) all coming off. They'll have more than enough to cover Pommer's contract until it expires in 3 years, in which they can offer him whatever value he's proven to be worth.

Plus, Buffalo would have to unload even more cap space, so pommer's salary going back would actually help the sabres. it would fit pretty close to perfectly, actually.

Pommer is a long-term solution while Boyes would be a rental. Pommer's deal isn't "cap friendly" but he's a good player, and would probably be a decent role model for the younger kids that Calgary should be adding in their lineup via the draft, while phasing out the older veterans -- Iginla's 7 mil, Langkow's 4.5, Hagman & Jokinen's 3 mil (each) all coming off. They'll have more than enough to cover Pommer's contract until it expires in 3 years, in which they can offer him whatever value he's proven to be worth.

Plus, Buffalo would have to unload even more cap space, so pommer's salary going back would actually help the sabres. it would fit pretty close to perfectly, actually.

I understand the Buffalo side, but is Pommer a better role model than Regher? They dumped his $4.5 million because it was too much, but $5.3 for Pominville is OK? Just playing devil's advocate here, I agree Pominville is a good player, but if you are worried about "role models" for young players do you really get rid of Iginla and Regher and bring in a guy who was supposedly one of the "leaders" on a team whose biggest need of late has been, uh, leadership? (Personally, I think Pominville IS a good guy to have around, but he's a different kind of leader and would not come close to filling the void of trading Iginla and Regher in that area.)

Archived