Ecklund says Calgary and Sabres discussing trade

freester

I can't imagine we could beat up on Calgary anymore than we already have this off-season.. lol

I wouldn't put the cart before the horse. Does Regehr have a lot left in the tank or is he the next Rivet? Is Byron an NHL ready player who can step in and play on the 3rd line for Calgary? Butler can be a 2nd pairing blueliner, best case scenario, or a bottom pairing dman, worst case scenario. Also, keep in mind the Sabres took on Kotalik's contract. It may not end up being the fleecing you think it is.

I wouldn't put the cart before the horse. Does Regehr have a lot left in the tank or is he the next Rivet? Is Byron an NHL ready player who can step in and play on the 3rd line for Calgary? Butler can be a 2nd pairing blueliner, best case scenario, or a bottom pairing dman, worst case scenario. Also, keep in mind the Sabres took on Kotalik's contract. It may not end up being the fleecing you think it is.

That all depends on who the second round pick becomes down the road as well.

Kind of like when the Habs traded Robert Picard to the Jets for their 3rd round pick, and that pick turned into Patrick Roy.

I would be shocked if Byron has a significant NHL career. Butler can be a fine 2nd/3rd pair defender, but i'm not worried about it. Unless Regehr has some major drop off this year, he's going to be a better player for us than Butler would have. And we get a draft pick to take on salary that in likelihood won't count against our cap... no matter how you spin it Buffalo wins the deal, unless Byron miraculously turns into a great player with ~10 games NHL experience.

While I agree generally that it's too early to just assume DR fleeced calgary, and that Byron could turn into a decent NHL player, I also think there's a real possibility that butler is a washout.

It's definitely a possibility to keep in mind, but at the same time, Rivet was 34 when we brought him in. Regehr is only 31. So Regehr will still be younger than Rivet was when this contract expires.

While I agree generally that it's too early to just assume DR fleeced calgary, and that Byron could turn into a decent NHL player, I also think there's a real possibility that butler is a washout.

Can that move ever be considered "fleecing?" It's not like Calgary made the deal thinking they really improved their team by trading Regehr and Kotalik for Butler and Byron. It was a 100% salary dump for the Flames so they could sign Tanguay. Regier offered the best return on a player Calgary was desperate to dump. I like the trade, no matter how the players turn out I don't think it can ever be considered a "fleecing."

Can that move ever be considered "fleecing?" It's not like Calgary made the deal thinking they really improved their team by trading Regehr and Kotalik for Butler and Byron. It was a 100% salary dump for the Flames so they could sign Tanguay. Regier offered the best return on a player Calgary was desperate to dump. I like the trade, no matter how the players turn out I don't think it can ever be considered a "fleecing."

Well, if Butler and Byron are both washouts, and the Sabres are able to dump Kotalik and get a few good years out of Regehr and the 2nd rounder turns into an NHL player, I'd call it a fleecing. Lots of ifs, to be sure, but it's August.

While I agree in general with your post, I'm not sure Calgary was that desperate to get rid of Regehr. They were desperate to get rid of salary. I am quite certain they would have preferred to get rid of Stajan, Kotalik, Hagman, Jokinen, and Langkow before they would have ever wanted to get rid of Regehr. The only way they were going to get rid of salary was by dumping a player that other teams wanted and Regehr was the best asset available with a salary that could give them relief and getting rid of Kotalik saved them a buyout. Regehr was the only player Feaster could trade to get salary relief because I'm pretty sure no one else wanted Stajan, Hagman, Jokinen, or Langkow and their inflated salaries with virtually no production.

why again is this being rehashed?

not being a d*@k. Just asking.

Why would they dump salary on us so we could turn around and dump salary back on them?

Player contributions aside.

arrrgghhhh Maddening! its so blase' to say "typical ecklund horseshat"!

I'm not sure if calgary has a center we would want, but they would want Sekera. Of course this could be typical Eck nonsense.

Calgary has Iggy. He would be the leader the Sabres are lacking, and would be an instant fan fave.

Of course, all of this is nonsense anyways. It's august, and certain people just want to feed the hungry animals.

so the Flames who just traded the Sabres (highest payroll in the NHL now) Kotalik as a salary dump now want to trade with the Sabres again for another salary dump which we would put... where exactly? The premise of the Flames dumping any more salary to the sabres makes no sense as does the Sabres dumping salary back to the flames... this whole concept makes no sense and Ecklunds a retarded chimpanzee, I have yet to see 1 of his "rumors" even come close to happening. Maybe he should just say "a team is going to trade to another team some stuff" because that would be more accurate.

so the Flames who just traded the Sabres (highest payroll in the NHL now) Kotalik as a salary dump now want to trade with the Sabres again for another salary dump which we would put... where exactly? The premise of the Flames dumping any more salary to the sabres makes no sense as does the Sabres dumping salary back to the flames... this whole concept makes no sense and Ecklunds a retarded chimpanzee, I have yet to see 1 of his "rumors" even come close to happening. Maybe he should just say "a team is going to trade to another team some stuff" because that would be more accurate.

Sounds like you are primed and ready to become a writer for that site!

:beer:

Archived