Ecklund says Calgary and Sabres discussing trade

freester

I understand the Buffalo side, but is Pommer a better role model than Regher? They dumped his $4.5 million because it was too much, but $5.3 for Pominville is OK? Just playing devil's advocate here, I agree Pominville is a good player, but if you are worried about "role models" for young players do you really get rid of Iginla and Regher and bring in a guy who was supposedly one of the "leaders" on a team whose biggest need of late has been, uh, leadership? (Personally, I think Pominville IS a good guy to have around, but he's a different kind of leader and would not come close to filling the void of trading Iginla and Regher in that area.)

Trading Regehr was the first step towards rebuilding. They moved his $4 mil along with Kotalik's $3 mil for what? A couple of prospects -- they don't trade Regehr, imo, if they are trying to win the cup. No, Pommer isn't a better role model than Regehr or Iginla, but Regehr and Iginla are on the wrong side of 30 and were/are not going to be part of Calgary's next deep playoff run. Pominville wouldn't FILL the void left by either them, but would be a good piece to HELP do so, along with two promising defensive prospects and potentially another mid-round draft pick. Depending how quickly Sekera/Butler/Pysyk develop, who they use the extra pick on, and how else they spend their cap space, that could set Calgary up nicely 3-5 years down the road.

Taking on Pominville's $5.3 is not a big deal for them if this hypothetical deal really went down, as Iginla's $7 mil would be coming back our way, along with another $11 mil coming off next season when several other veterans on that team become UFA.

Plus, not to fuel the fire anymore, but Iginla has just two years left on his current contract. IF they are going to trade him, and give their franchise player and perhaps one of the most UNDER rated players in NHL history a legitimate chance to win the cup... they should do it now, while teams will have a 2-year window to win.. rather than dishing him next year for essentially a rental discount. If they want to get the maximum return, trading Iginla now makes more sense. The deal I "proposed" a few posts ago is borderline overpaying for Iginla, but he's the type of player worth taking that risk on right now... but next year, with only one year left on his contract? I don't know if I pull the trigger anymore and give up that much for a player who might only be here for one season, and may only be in the LEAGUE another 3 or 4.

i don't think the trade happens either.. and apparently there was never any truth to the rumor anyway.. but I'm just saying this deal actually makes more sense than a lot of the ones suggested here and elsewhere on the web!

Trading Regehr was the first step towards rebuilding. They moved his $4 mil along with Kotalik's $3 mil for what? A couple of prospects -- they don't trade Regehr, imo, if they are trying to win the cup. No, Pommer isn't a better role model than Regehr or Iginla, but Regehr and Iginla are on the wrong side of 30 and were/are not going to be part of Calgary's next deep playoff run. Pominville wouldn't FILL the void left by either them, but would be a good piece to HELP do so, along with two promising defensive prospects and potentially another mid-round draft pick. Depending how quickly Sekera/Butler/Pysyk develop, who they use the extra pick on, and how else they spend their cap space, that could set Calgary up nicely 3-5 years down the road.

Taking on Pominville's $5.3 is not a big deal for them if this hypothetical deal really went down, as Iginla's $7 mil would be coming back our way, along with another $11 mil coming off next season when several other veterans on that team become UFA.

Plus, not to fuel the fire anymore, but Iginla has just two years left on his current contract. IF they are going to trade him, and give their franchise player and perhaps one of the most UNDER rated players in NHL history a legitimate chance to win the cup... they should do it now, while teams will have a 2-year window to win.. rather than dishing him next year for essentially a rental discount. If they want to get the maximum return, trading Iginla now makes more sense. The deal I "proposed" a few posts ago is borderline overpaying for Iginla, but he's the type of player worth taking that risk on right now... but next year, with only one year left on his contract? I don't know if I pull the trigger anymore and give up that much for a player who might only be here for one season, and may only be in the LEAGUE another 3 or 4.

Again, I was just playing devil's advocate ... it's not the most horrible thing in history for them to take Pomminstein. It's POSSIBLE.

But if I was Jay Feaster, and I am trading the face of my franchise with the idea of rebuilding, give me picks and prospects and young guys. Don't tell me about YOUR cap problems and how YOU need to move Pominville to make room for Iggy ... that's YOUR problem. I am the guy with the Hall of Famer on the table. Pominville is a nice player who will be in his 30s and a UFA by the time I put a contending team around him. Give me Stafford or Ennis or something. Need to clear more space? Not my problem, I have to believe I can get more somewhere else ... not more for NOW, but more to help me build for the future.

Of course, it is POSSIBLE I guess that they LOVE Sekera and/or Iginla told them he doesn't want to go anywhere else so they can't shop him. But that deal doesn't do as much for my rebuild as I would like if I am giving up Iginla.

Iginla would be that 1 more elite player this team needs. He plays on a terrible team and still drops 80pt seasons so you put him with Leino and Vanek and our top line would scare the crap out of a lot of defenses. I feel sadly that this is a pipe dream. Would be nice to trade them Pommers and Sekera and a 2nd rounder perhaps for Iginla but thats not an even trade and if Calgary does it than wooot!

Iginla's pts last 3 seasons:

82gp 43g 43a 86pts - 10-11

82gp 32g 37a 69pts - 09-10

82gp 35g 54a 89pts - 08-09

My first question is not about Pommer's NTC but how a Sabres' trainer is going to keep his job while posting proposed trades on his Facebook page. Or for that matter, why is the trainer even in the loop in August? And on the same day we have some other rumor about a deal being in place for the Bills to move after this season? Really? Color me skeptical ....

More often than not,everybody is in the LOOP on the major moves, players, wives, in-laws, children, agents, other owners and even the equipment guys. Two days after the players have it cousins in Walla Balla are in the loop.

A dead deal is a dead deal. It is open for discussion after it dies and ages a bit.It is too bad because Ig was a key piece in a real run this year. The sports writers like to crap on the Sabres chances this year but imo this yeam is only two key moves away from a very serious run.Ig was one of those two pieces.

It is indeed hard to imagine Calgary giving up Iginla without getting back potential star quality, so I can't see them taking Pommer and Sekera (although I would do this in a heartbeat and throw in a first-rounder if needed).

I could see them taking Pommer back in a trade, but he would need to be accompanied by someone like Ennis or Kassian, and then the price gets a bit steep given Iggy's age. Also, I would guess that Calgary would prefer Stafford to Pommer. Maybe Stafford, Sekera and a #1?

It is indeed hard to imagine Calgary giving up Iginla without getting back potential star quality, so I can't see them taking Pommer and Sekera (although I would do this in a heartbeat and throw in a first-rounder if needed).

I could see them taking Pommer back in a trade, but he would need to be accompanied by someone like Ennis or Kassian, and then the price gets a bit steep given Iggy's age. Also, I would guess that Calgary would prefer Stafford to Pommer. Maybe Stafford, Sekera and a #1?

I think that deal would do it, but I would avoid giving up Stafford if at all possible. I know it's IGINLA, but trading away one of our pure goal scorers might be overpaying. Hard to say.

Pommer/Sekera/#1 would be enough imo, or as I mentioned Pysyk and a 3rd or 4th rounder instead of that first round pick. To be honest, though, I might even consider giving up Kassian if it's for Iginla...

I think that deal would do it, but I would avoid giving up Stafford if at all possible. Pommer/Sekera/#1 would be enough imo, or as I mentioned Pysyk and a 3rd or 4th rounder instead of that first round pick. To be honest, though, I might even consider giving up Kassian if it's for Iginla...

I think it would be more for Iginla.....

Jay Feaster could do better than Pommer and Sekera.....if I was Feaster, I would want Pomminstein, Sekera, and Kassian or Ennis.

More often than not,everybody is in the LOOP on the major moves.Players are like women with this stuff, they talk.In the end even cousins in Walla Balla know if it drags on. A dead deal is a dead deal. It is open for discussion after it dies and ages a bit.

Maybe so, but if I am Ted Black or Darcy Regier, I am telling my trainers to keep their mouths shut.

Stop making sense.

I think it would be more for Iginla.....

Jay Feaster could do better than Pommer and Sekera.....if I was Feaster, I would want Pomminstein, Sekera, and Kassian or Ennis.

...if for no other reason than to prevent Canadian sportswriters from saying that DR ripped him off twice in one summer.

I guess I missed this....I agree.

Feaster would get a lot back for Iginla.

I guess I missed this....I agree.

Feaster would get a lot back for Iginla.

He would indeed, but there is a ceiling due to Iggy's age. I don't think he'd get anyone's best forward or defenseman (although I suppose I'd need to vet each roster to really be comfortable with that statement). I wouldn't want the Sabres to give up Myers or Vanek for him, and I'd have to really think about giving up Ennis or Kassian. I could probably live with one of Ennis, Kassian or Stafford (although I'd rather give up Roy or Pommer than any of those 3), plus Sekera and a #1. I don't think I could go any higher than that.

Who's the sumbritch that started this thread? A frickin' Eklund "rumor", followed up by some BS facebook confession :rolleyes: , and now we are seriously debating what it would take to get Iginla here. :wallbash:

If Iginla were coming it most likely would have happened in a blockbuster back when we got Regehr.

Now, if y'all want to talk about a deal that has a likelihood of going down, let's talk about prying Malkin out of the Burgh. :w00t: :nana: :beer:

Who's the sumbritch that started this thread? A frickin' Eklund rumor, followed up by some BS facebook confession :rolleyes: , and now we are seriously debating what it would take to get Iginla here. :wallbash:

If Iginla were coming it most likely would have happened in a blockbuster back when we got Regehr.

Now, if y'all want to talk about a deal that has a likelihood of going down, let's talk about prying Malkin out of the Burgh. :w00t: :nana: :beer:

well to get malkin out of Pitts we probably need 2 first rounders, Sekera and then something like Staffy or maybe pommers plus a prospect like pysyk or maybe even kassian.... :rolleyes:

Just to be clear I didn't start this thread and I agree if Iginla was in play then he would have come with Regehr

So....

Calgary traded Langkow for Stempniak.

Is this what the trade rumor was for? He would have been an okay center for the Sabres. Not sure how much he has left in his wheels though.

I always thought of Langkow as a Drury type with a left handed shot.

Imagine if Phoenix had hung onto Briere....

Archived