Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Haven't been to Arby's in like forever...

Ugh, when I lived in Amherst last year there was an Arby's on the corner of Meyer Rd and Niagara Falls Blvd -- very close proximity to my apartment and one of my favorite fast food places -- but this one was soo gross inside, I couldn't stand to eat there. And will probably never eat at another Arbys again lol.

this is not my understanding - they are just bargaining positions going into it. It is my understanding the arbitrators choose decide what the final number will be.

Right, the arbitrator can pick any number within the range presented by the player and team. Weave's scenario is MLB.

Devils got rid of him so they can start playing their younger d-men. I don't see any team picking up a soon to be 34 yr old d-man at 3 million with a no trade clause.

Plus the ownership over there is trying to scale back. Chambers and Gilfillan intend to sell their share of the team.

Fair enough. But not his been bought out I think he stands a chance of getting a job.

Any news on Selanne? Will he, won't he retire? I hope he comes back, his still one of the best players in the league.

It seems regardless of the Weber arbitration, his time in Nashville will be over soon. It seems the 4.5 million figure was the Predator's initial offer to the judge, Weber's agents came in at 8 million. We'll know by tomorrow how it turns out, but either way it's bad news for Nashville.

Enough bad will goes around during these things to really upset people. Weber has said that it's not so much about the money as a chance to win the Cup. He wants both, of course and I don't think he sees Nashville as a place where that will happen soon. So regardless of the decision, I see Nashville trading him this season.

When Florida took Luongo to arbitration some years ago, he was soon traded to Vancouver. Look for the same here.

It seems regardless of the Weber arbitration, his time in Nashville will be over soon. It seems the 4.5 million figure was the Predator's initial offer to the judge, Weber's agents came in at 8 million. We'll know by tomorrow how it turns out, but either way it's bad news for Nashville.

Enough bad will goes around during these things to really upset people. Weber has said that it's not so much about the money as a chance to win the Cup. He wants both, of course and I don't think he sees Nashville as a place where that will happen soon. So regardless of the decision, I see Nashville trading him this season.

When Florida took Luongo to arbitration some years ago, he was soon traded to Vancouver. Look for the same here.

Today's Ruling: 1 year and $7.5 million for Shea Weber.

good. I hope they choke on it. Can't believe they were dumb enough to let him get to arbitration. My guess is the phone lines are now open in Nashville.

Why? He's still restricted after next season and can still sign with them long-term ... the only place it really hurts is it's the full $7.5 million cap hit this season whereas if they had gotten a long-term thing done maybe they could have brought that down a little. But even that is unlikely because he is so young it would have to be a 15-year deal or something to be worth his while. Granted he could get an offer sheet next year, but at worst that means they are getting four first-rounders for the guy. They still have time to work out an extension, they still can trade him at the deadline ... other than the cash outlay for this season, not much about the situation has changed. I doubt very seriously they went into the arbitration room and ripped his game up ... everyone knows they guy is a stud.

good. I hope they choke on it. Can't believe they were dumb enough to let him get to arbitration. My guess is the phone lines are now open in Nashville.

An interesting take on the situation: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-08-03/shea-weber-trade-arbitration-nashville-predators

There is literally no player on the Sabres I wouldn't trade to get Weber. Even Myers. Shea is a freak of nature.

Why? He's still restricted after next season and can still sign with them long-term ... the only place it really hurts is it's the full $7.5 million cap hit this season whereas if they had gotten a long-term thing done maybe they could have brought that down a little. But even that is unlikely because he is so young it would have to be a 15-year deal or something to be worth his while. Granted he could get an offer sheet next year, but at worst that means they are getting four first-rounders for the guy. They still have time to work out an extension, they still can trade him at the deadline ... other than the cash outlay for this season, not much about the situation has changed. I doubt very seriously they went into the arbitration room and ripped his game up ... everyone knows they guy is a stud.

All those options are still available, no question. My point was twofold - first, they are now eating a 7.5 million contract that they will be hard pressed to afford - had they worked out a long term deal there would have been some savings just for the security it would have provided - and my second point relates to that security. Weber now bears all the risk - sure, he is making 7.5 million, but if he has a serious injury, or even a career ending injury - its all on him. Nashville can just walk away. Don't underestimate how personally Weber may take that.

The article CO posted below sums it up pretty well. Sure, that exec probably wants to sign weber himself, so it is self serving to an extent, but all the points made in it are very legitimate.

An interesting take on the situation: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-08-03/shea-weber-trade-arbitration-nashville-predators

There is literally no player on the Sabres I wouldn't trade to get Weber. Even Myers. Shea is a freak of nature.

I have 2 questions: First do you mean straight up (saying weber is better or equal to anyone on the sabres) because then yes, I could probably agree although I think Myers could become Shea Weber equivalent under Regehr's tutelage.

Second: Weber is a great player but I would rather have our defense then break it up to acquire Weber. If he was drafted I would love him but if he ever came available I would not be interested because the price is just 2 high. I would much rather be patient with Myers development.

All those options are still available, no question. My point was twofold - first, they are now eating a 7.5 million contract that they will be hard pressed to afford - had they worked out a long term deal there would have been some savings just for the security it would have provided - and my second point relates to that security. Weber now bears all the risk - sure, he is making 7.5 million, but if he has a serious injury, or even a career ending injury - its all on him. Nashville can just walk away. Don't underestimate how personally Weber may take that.

The article CO posted below sums it up pretty well. Sure, that exec probably wants to sign weber himself, so it is self serving to an extent, but all the points made in it are very legitimate.

Well, the bolded is only true if Weber was actually interested in signing a long-term deal and giving them a discount to do it ... if Weber was willing to sign long-term for $6 million a year or something, then I agree with you. But he was a Norris finalist ... I would not be at all surprised if Weber's camp was asking for $7.5 million/year anyway, even before they threatened arbitration. If Nashville can't handle that long-term, they already knew they have to trade him. But at least this way they bought themselves some time to get a deal that can help them sooner than four first-round picks would have.

As for Weber taking stuff personally, well, tough crap. if he really thought ANY team would NOT select arbitration and allow him the chance to sign an offer sheet, he's delusional. Basically he is going to be mad because they wouldn't let become an unrestricted free agent two years early out of the kindness of their hearts? Cry me a river.

I have 2 questions: First do you mean straight up (saying weber is better or equal to anyone on the sabres) because then yes, I could probably agree although I think Myers could become Shea Weber equivalent under Regehr's tutelage.

Second: Weber is a great player but I would rather have our defense then break it up to acquire Weber. If he was drafted I would love him but if he ever came available I would not be interested because the price is just 2 high. I would much rather be patient with Myers development.

Obviously it is hypothetical since we'd need to dump a ton of salary to get him, but I personally think that Weber is the best all-around defenseman in the game right now (or at least on par with Chara & Keith), and he is still young. He physically dominates night in and night out and is the undisputed team leader on the ice. IMHO, if you get a chance to get a defenseman like that in their prime you do it. Most recent Cup winners seem to have that dominating presence on the blue line (Chara, Keith, Lidstrom, Pronger, S. Niedermayer, etc.).

I'm probably a bit biased because I have Preds season tickets, but I think if Weber were playing in a bigger market he'd be one of the biggest stars in the league right now. Watching him first-hand you realize how much better he is than others at his position. I love the moves the Sabres have made, but I personally would trade both Regehr AND Ehrhoff for Weber.

*end of Weber love-fest :D

He's a RFA after this season, yes. But they can't take him to arbitration again. As I said, he wasn't crazy about the direction Nashville was headed anyway. Then they try to low-ball him on the contract. Plus the ego-deflating trial before the judge. All told this is what it means: Nashville will trade him. To LA for Dougherty? Perhaps. But if they don't, he is a prime candidate for an offer sheet and I can tell you now, he will receive one...or several.

In addition it might have an effect on the Predator's attempts to resign Rinne. Bad move by Nashville management to let this Weber thing go so far.

He's a RFA after this season, yes. But they can't take him to arbitration again. As I said, he wasn't crazy about the direction Nashville was headed anyway. Then they try to low-ball him on the contract. Plus the ego-deflating trial before the judge. All told this is what it means: Nashville will trade him. To LA for Dougherty? Perhaps. But if they don't, he is a prime candidate for an offer sheet and I can tell you now, he will receive one...or several.

In addition it might have an effect on the Predator's attempts to resign Rinne. Bad move by Nashville management to let this Weber thing go so far.

Just like all the offer sheet Stamkos signed this year? Teams are not going to go that route. If anyone gets Weber it will be via trade. That said, Weber will wind up opting for arbitration again next year long before it ever get to that point.

With that said, the guy Nashville loses next year (and possibly sooner) due to all of this is Ryan Suter.

To be frank, I think the second part of this post is thoughtful and not worth the dismissal it apparently received. There is something to having six men work as a unit, and there is also something to the point about not breaking up a team to bring in one guy. If he got 7.5 in arb, he's gonna kill when he finally becomes a UFA. Let the Rangers do it, unless the Sabres miraculously have that cap room around. (Unless Weber becomes a center.)

The best reason for getting Weber is so that we can have both Webers. Also, the more I say Weber, the weirder it feels.

I'm still waiting for RJ to call a Mike Weber goal with "he put some mustard on that shot."

Archived