Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Don't know if this has be brought up before, but the price of poker has just gone up. Weber's award was the highest award in NHL arby history.

Almost no one really goes to arbitration anymore, so I doubt it will have too much of an impact league-wide.

Sean Avery pushes a Copper. Charged with Battery.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/05/sean-avery-nhl-new-york-rangers-hockey-player-arrested-battery-police-officer-hollywood/

I wonder how his contract reads....this could result in a quick contract dump.

Just read the story. Pushing an officer is now battery... Sounds a bit trumped up..

Almost no one really goes to arbitration anymore, so I doubt it will have too much of an impact league-wide.

I think it has become pretty clear that Arby is not going to the players over the clubs.

It is a really strange process. An independent arbiter (presumably independent of any hockey knowledge or hockey background) deciding how much a player is worth. Of course it is going to favor comparable stats.

What else can they go on? Intangibles, net presence, back-checking...

Just read the story. Pushing an officer is now battery... Sounds a bit trumped up..

Actually, battery sounds like the right charge to be filed.

(Varies somewhat from state to state but....)

Battery is any:

b. Actual, intentional and unlawful touching or striking of another person against the will of the other; or

a. and c. didn't apply so I didn't include them

Basically, battery is any unauthorized contact.

Actually, battery sounds like the right charge to be filed.

(Varies somewhat from state to state but....)

Battery is any:

b. Actual, intentional and unlawful touching or striking of another person against the will of the other; or

a. and c. didn't apply so I didn't include them

Basically, battery is any unauthorized contact.

Yep. Many states, including ours, would call it "assault" instead, although historically, this is a misapplication of the word "assault."

Oh, but they have paid him ... $7.5 million for this season. How is that any different than NJ paying Parise $6 million? Just because the number was set in arbitration? They knew going in he was going to get paid. They are just trying to exhaust all avenues to keep working on something long-term or be able to set the terms of a trade. The arbitration was just to protect them from an offer sheet. Whether or not that offer sheet would have come, who knows, but they are in no worse a place than NJ is with Parise. They will both probably be traded, and both teams will get more immediate help than they would get from a bunch of future first-round picks.

They can't set up an Ehrhoff-type deal because that would mean drastically dropping his salary after 6 or 7 years .. he will still be in his early 30s, so he will not want to give up those prime earning years at such a low salary. To make it worth his while, they'd have to give him $15 or 20 million up front or something crazy, and they do not have the cashflow for that. Both sides know if they do that, they can't put any kind of team around him the first couple years when he is getting so much of their cash.

He has them in a catch-22 ... he keeps saying he wants to see them build a contender, but how can they do that if they do not know what they will be paying their best player? How can they attract other great players or convince Suter and Rinne to stay if they don't think Weber will be there?

It is much more a case of him either not wanting to be in Nashville, or wanting to milk every last dollar he can out of whomever he signs with, or both. The guy wants a two-year deal at full market value just so he can be unrestricted as early as possible ... that doesn't sound to me like someone who really wants to stay.

Good points. Although I don't equate NJ & Nashville in their respective situations. Parise appears to be willing and ready to continue on in NJ and he did sign a contract. Weber wasn't offered enough to sign - which is telling. Nashville knew he would get a high award, so why didn't they attempt to preempt it by settling with him before arbitration? It would have been a show of goodwill and would have avoided the ugly arguments involved in arbitration. Now there's bad blood and an almost sure guarantee (90% by historical standards) that he'll be traded.

I don't see it as the same for Parise, even though he will be available next season. NJ has shown more respect for him and so I believe the likelihood of leaving NJ is less than 50/50.

Good points. Although I don't equate NJ & Nashville in their respective situations. Parise appears to be willing and ready to continue on in NJ and he did sign a contract. Weber wasn't offered enough to sign - which is telling. Nashville knew he would get a high award, so why didn't they attempt to preempt it by settling with him before arbitration? It would have been a show of goodwill and would have avoided the ugly arguments involved in arbitration. Now there's bad blood and an almost sure guarantee (90% by historical standards) that he'll be traded.

I don't see it as the same for Parise, even though he will be available next season. NJ has shown more respect for him and so I believe the likelihood of leaving NJ is less than 50/50.

i only used Parise because you mentioned NJ being willing to "pony up $6 million," as if money was the big issue for Nashville as opposed to term. You are right they are very different.

Listen, if you are right and "Weber wasn't offered enough to sign," like they offered him $4.5 million or something, that's one thing, they are idiots. But we don't know what they offered him in terms of a one-year deal. If they were talking long-term deal with the guy, the first year HAD to be $6 million-plus, at least. For all we know they did offer $7 million or more for one year but Weber said no and kept pushing for his 2-year deal until the last minute, figuring he'd take his chances with the ruling.

He has quite a bit more leverage than Parise did .. as good as Parise is, he's coming off injury, he's not one of the top 3 forwards in the game (maybe not even the best on his own TEAM with Kovalchuk, although I'd rather have Parise), and he's not the face of that franchise (I guess that's still Brodeur, but either way, the team ain't going nowhere. No one goes to the games now, how is it different without Parise?). He's not easy to replace, but he's easier to replace than Weber. If Weber goes and they don't get enough exciting stuff back and attendance drops, it sets the franchise back. Weber holds all the cards and he is playing every one of them.

As for ugly arguments and shows of goodwill ... This is the face of the franchise, they didn't go in there and tell him how much he sucks to try to save a million bucks for one season. I could see if he was making $800K and he was the 5th highest paid player on the team or something, but he's made more than anyone on the team for 3 years now. They are showing plenty of goodwill offering him long-term deals to build the franchise around him, and he is showing none in return, doing all he can to become a UFA as soon as possible and obviously not willing to take less to build winner in Nashville. And he has every right to do that, all the players do, I do not begrudge them that. But don't throw it back on the team like you are some sort of victim when they exercise their right to arbitration to make sure you don't get poached. He's pretty thin-skinned if he takes that as "not showing respect."

Didn't see this anywhere, sorry if it's already been discussed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373202

Canucks sign Nolan and Fedoruk. We'll have to see how this works out for them, but I'm not sure this will provide the 'we're 1 down late in the game' resilience they expect. I thought Luongo's iffy clutch performance was the issue, not veteran depth.

Canucks sign Nolan and Fedoruk. We'll have to see how this works out for them, but I'm not sure this will provide the 'we're 1 down late in the game' resilience they expect. I thought Luongo's iffy clutch performance was the issue, not veteran depth.

They're just tryout deals, so there's no guarantee they even make the team.

Nolan is solid. Hopefully he pans out. If Kesler will be out for awhile, he could help with the leadership role.

Remember when he called his shot on the breakaway against Hasek in the 97 All Star game? Such a great goal!

Don't know if this has be brought up before, but the price of poker has just gone up. Weber's award was the highest award in NHL arby history.

Sean Avery arrested for battery on a police officer.

Not quite as bad as it seems:

On the officers' second visit, the report said that Avery allegedly argued with police and pushed an officer out of the way to go back inside his house.

The report added that Avery closed the door and refused to speak to officers. After additional police were called to the scene, Avery eventually did come out and co-operated and was arrested for battery of a police officer.

Still shouldn't have done it, but it's not like he punched the cop, which is what my first thought was.

i only used Parise because you mentioned NJ being willing to "pony up $6 million," as if money was the big issue for Nashville as opposed to term. You are right they are very different.

Listen, if you are right and "Weber wasn't offered enough to sign," like they offered him $4.5 million or something, that's one thing, they are idiots. But we don't know what they offered him in terms of a one-year deal. If they were talking long-term deal with the guy, the first year HAD to be $6 million-plus, at least. For all we know they did offer $7 million or more for one year but Weber said no and kept pushing for his 2-year deal until the last minute, figuring he'd take his chances with the ruling.

He has quite a bit more leverage than Parise did .. as good as Parise is, he's coming off injury, he's not one of the top 3 forwards in the game (maybe not even the best on his own TEAM with Kovalchuk, although I'd rather have Parise), and he's not the face of that franchise (I guess that's still Brodeur, but either way, the team ain't going nowhere. No one goes to the games now, how is it different without Parise?). He's not easy to replace, but he's easier to replace than Weber. If Weber goes and they don't get enough exciting stuff back and attendance drops, it sets the franchise back. Weber holds all the cards and he is playing every one of them.

As for ugly arguments and shows of goodwill ... This is the face of the franchise, they didn't go in there and tell him how much he sucks to try to save a million bucks for one season. I could see if he was making $800K and he was the 5th highest paid player on the team or something, but he's made more than anyone on the team for 3 years now. They are showing plenty of goodwill offering him long-term deals to build the franchise around him, and he is showing none in return, doing all he can to become a UFA as soon as possible and obviously not willing to take less to build winner in Nashville. And he has every right to do that, all the players do, I do not begrudge them that. But don't throw it back on the team like you are some sort of victim when they exercise their right to arbitration to make sure you don't get poached. He's pretty thin-skinned if he takes that as "not showing respect."

Nashville just went through a possible franchise move last season. They are on shaky ground and so can't afford to play around with a star like Weber. The problem is the same as the Sabres had in past years - money. But given the hit the franchise would take, I'd think they'd bite the bullet and give him what he wants. Only problem is, then Rinne will expect what he wants, etc.

If what you say is right, and there is no proof of that, then Weber wanting a two year deal is simply telling them, "I'm outta here ASAP.", which is contrary to what his agents are saying. So either his agents are lying or not. If not, Nashville should have paid him the bucks and tie him up long term. If so, Nashville is in a world of hurt and the only answer is to trade him.

I'm glad I'm not a Predators fan.

This is so last century.

Kenny: I didn't know that horse was a diabetic!

Kenny: I love horses.

Cop: I love horses.

Kenny: I love Butterstuff.

Cop: Buttercup!

Kenny: Butternuts!

Cop: BUTTERCUP!

Kenny: Cup!

Don't worry, man. All we gotta do to get you out is to get ten percent of ten million dollars. Which by our calculations is...

...F***ing impossible, man!

Archived