Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Callahan gets 4.2 (or 4.3) million per year 3 year deal to avoid arbitration hearing with Rangers. Another Stafford comparable?

I love Callahan's game. Not a lot of talent in his game to warrant this contract - its slightly on the high end IMO.

But how much do you pay a kid when he's got the heart of a prizefighter?

I love Callahan's game. Not a lot of talent in his game to warrant this contract - its slightly on the high end IMO.

But how much do you pay a kid when he's got the heart of a prizefighter?

History suggests that the Rangers pay a little over $35M across 5 years in just this situation.

"Around the NHL" is more like "Around the Sabres".

Anyway...big referendum vote coming to NY on Aug. 1st. If the new stadium is voted down, the NY Islanders may likely be moving.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/islanders-future-on-long-island-goes-to-vote/article2109027/

Interesting. My bet is an in-region move if there is one at all.

I suspect Wolski will get moved or sent down.

And for that money they get.....

A Great Goaltender, Great Forwards, and no blue-line.

I still don't think it works.

you know the sabres have some relatively cheap defenders... wish Sekera was worth more or Dubinsky less (in terms of non $$$ worth)

Also the rangers have a very weak LW and completely lack defensive... well anything other than Staal, I think they will be good offensively for the most part. Their only real upgrade was richards... but I think unless lundqvist stands on his head they wont make it very far postseason wise. glad I hate the rangers! :clapping:

Well his first 3 seasons he averaged 80 games while his last 3 seasons he averaged 40 games. Minus the injuries I think he's what we hope Kassian can become.

I never thought Hunter a bad player, I usually thought of him as a plucky, smart, and somewhat slow afoot big guy that would have a few nice physical moment in a season. Much more defensively responsible than say a Raffi Torres, but with not quite the same sense of physical abandon. He was more of the Islanders version of a Mike Grier.

I'm hoping Kassian is more. But Hunter has had a nice career.

Speaking of the islanders ... good article on why they suck: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/862/no-place-like-home

Passage that blew my mind ... absolutely ridiculous:

In 1985, two years after Mike Bossy & Co. won their fourth straight Stanley Cup, then-owner John Pickett signed two documents: a monster TV deal with Cablevision, and an equally monster 30-year lease designed to keep the team in the building through 2015. Which would have all been just fine, if it weren't for the terms. With Nassau County owning the building, and an arena management company called SMG raking in much of the ticket sale revenue and all of the concession dollars, there's been very little left over by way of revenue for the franchise itself. As the years went by and salaries began to balloon, what began as a nuisance became arguably the most handicapping lease arrangement in professional sports. The Islanders could theoretically sell out every game every night and lose money regardless.

Given those sterling financials, buyers weren't exactly storming the gates when the team went up for sale in 2000 after a failed attempt by the previous ownership to oust SMG from The Coliseum. Former Senator Alphonse D'Amato, a board member of Computer Associates, convinced the company's chairman, Charles Wang, to purchase the team, citing vast untapped potential for a development deal around the arena.

In the 11 years since, Wang has sunk an estimated $230 million to $240 million of his own cash into the team — more than $50 million more than he paid to buy it in the first place. And yet he does not own the rink that the Islanders play on, nor the land that it stands on. He and his team are really just tenants. As anyone who has ever rented would tell you, if you need a new roof, or a new faucet, or, perhaps, a new 18,000-seat arena, you ask your landlord to get one.

In this case, the landlord is Nassau County, which means it's up to the taxpayers Monday. Should they vote no, the Islanders will most likely do what any reasonable tenant in desperate need of a new roof would do: wait until their lease is up, then find somewhere better to live.

Also the politics surrounding the efforts to get a new arena sound like Buffalo trying to get a new Peace Bridge.

Also the politics surrounding the efforts to get a new arena sound like Buffalo trying to get a new Peace Bridge.

...They can't build a new one because of the Common Tern... that freaking bird needs to die :death: its stopping bridges and arena's all over the state from being built... time to go hunting.

I feel sorry for you man. I know the +1 -1 doesn't mean anything but someone is stalking/trolling you big time. 10 seconds after you make a post it's a -1. lol

their name is sh...... :thumbsup: and im so negative it no longer matters but thanks anyways. O yea the defense blog post was pretty good and I agree with the fact the sabres are top in the northeast with defense with the only exception maybe being the bruins. Ottawa is sad, Toronto is eh and Montreal is weak with Markov being injured so frequently.

Edit: oooo there it is! Winning!

That can't be what they were hoping for.

"The Devils had filed for arbitration with Parise in June. He would have become an unrestricted free agent in 2012 had he not reached a new deal."

I don't get this part. He is still a UFA next season contract or not, right?

Archived