Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Didn't say I'd do anything different, just said the excuse is crap. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but if he's honest and says "I didn't want to play for an awful team", he alienates everyone. At least with this "excuse" there's still 1 or 2 gullible fools who will buy it.

Yeah, but if he's honest and says "I didn't want to play for an awful team", he alienates everyone. At least with this "excuse" there's still 1 or 2 gullible fools who will buy it.

I recognize the reasoning behind it, don't get me wrong, but he's already alienated the majority of their fanbase by holding out last year.

Nabokov essentially whipped his junk out, and slapped Wang (no pun intended) and the rest of the franchise in the face with it.

They will welcome him, but i think most isles fans are going to be pretty bitter about it, at least until they start winning games again.

Also, Nabokov looks to be playing for the isles this season?

His excuse seems like a steaming load to me... but it is what it is.

source

I like the take people at face value and his not exactly pulling a complete Hasek here to be fair. Still it does smell of 'please someone let me play', I will admit.

I thought Colin White was a half decent defensemen? Surely there are enough teams with cap room that can take him on?

Devils got rid of him so they can start playing their younger d-men. I don't see any team picking up a soon to be 34 yr old d-man at 3 million with a no trade clause.

Plus the ownership over there is trying to scale back. Chambers and Gilfillan intend to sell their share of the team.

Plus the ownership over there is trying to scale back. Chambers and Gilfillan intend to sell their share of the team.

good luck with that. :D Those two have no controlling interest, and the team has more debt than the total franchise value.

Which basically means they want to sell their debts. ;)

No, but NJD are as likely to trade Parise as Pens are Malkin.

Not true at all. Until Parise signs a multi-year deal, rumors of his trade will circulate throughout the NHL. Lamoriello will be pressured both ways and I'm not convinced that Parise wants to stay in NJ. Their team might not make the playoffs this year even if he's healthy. And who wouldn't want to play for a winning team?

BTW same thing for Weber in Nashville. Rumor has the Preds only offering him 4.5 mil. Maybe that's not true, but it's an insult if it is. I don't know the arbitration results scheduled for today, but I expect he will get 6.5 - 8 mil. Now there's got to be some bad blood there. I'm not saying the Sabres should go for Weber, but this is just another example of a player who may be on the move. Malkin is staying, these guys may not.

Not true at all. Until Parise signs a multi-year deal, rumors of his trade will circulate throughout the NHL. Lamoriello will be pressured both ways and I'm not convinced that Parise wants to stay in NJ. Their team might not make the playoffs this year even if he's healthy. And who wouldn't want to play for a winning team?

BTW same thing for Weber in Nashville. Rumor has the Preds only offering him 4.5 mil. Maybe that's not true, but it's an insult if it is. I don't know the arbitration results scheduled for today, but I expect he will get 6.5 - 8 mil. Now there's got to be some bad blood there. I'm not saying the Sabres should go for Weber, but this is just another example of a player who may be on the move. Malkin is staying, these guys may not.

That $4.5 million is what has been reported as their figure for the arbitration. That doesn't mean that is what they were offering him. It's the classic negotiation tactic and is mostly a formality. They put in a lower number to control the arbitration award as much as they possibly can.

That $4.5 million is what has been reported as their figure for the arbitration. That doesn't mean that is what they were offering him. It's the classic negotiation tactic and is mostly a formality. They put in a lower number to control the arbitration award as much as they possibly can.

I wonder if Weber goes for one year or two? It is his choice.

One year deal he stays a RFA after this year and puts the team vulnerable to an offer sheet.

Two year deal he'll be an UFA after 12-13, but stuck for an extra year.

Lamoriello knows what his doing and won't let a kid like Parise push him around. I still think we are as likely to see a Malkin trade as a Parise trade. With Weber I don't know the situation well enough but I would say it's kind of different, also really unlikely to see him move.

I'm not saying these guys WON'T move, just saying unless something really spectacular happens it's highly unlikely this offseason or for the most of the upcoming season.

I thought the arbitration award was an either/or deal, the arbiter selects either the player number or the team number, not something in between. If the team lowballs the player they have a greater risk that the player figure gets selected. It isn't really beneficial to low ball a player in that scenario.

I wonder if Weber goes for one year or two? It is his choice.

One year deal he stays a RFA after this year and puts the team vulnerable to an offer sheet.

Two year deal he'll be an UFA after 12-13, but stuck for an extra year.

two if he's smart - a little security in case he gets hurt, and he is unrestricted at the end of it, rather than having to go through the whole process again next year. Banking on someone giving you an offer sheet is dangerous. We may never see another one.

I thought the arbitration award was an either/or deal, the arbiter selects either the player number or the team number, not something in between. If the team lowballs the player they have a greater risk that the player figure gets selected. It isn't really beneficial to low ball a player in that scenario.

this is not my understanding - they are just bargaining positions going into it. It is my understanding the arbitrators choose decide what the final number will be.

this is not my understanding - they are just bargaining positions going into it. It is my understanding the arbitrators choose decide what the final number will be.

Yes. Only a few different rules when it comes to team vs player elected. Weber is team elected. No one could send an offer sheet this year because of it. They can't elect team arby on him ever again.

Weber submitted 8.5 million, one year deal.

Weber submitted 8.5 million, one year deal.

If team selected, does the team get to choose whether it's a one or two year deal? Hard to believe they let him get to the actual arby. He's gonna get 6-7 easy. Either Weber doesn't want to play there no matter what, or Nashville is having serious money issues.

Yes. Only a few different rules when it comes to team vs player elected. Weber is team elected. No one could send an offer sheet this year because of it. They can't elect team arby on him ever again.

Haven't been to Arby's in like forever...

If team selected, does the team get to choose whether it's a one or two year deal? Hard to believe they let him get to the actual arby. He's gonna get 6-7 easy. Either Weber doesn't want to play there no matter what, or Nashville is having serious money issues.

My understanding is players' choice.

Archived