Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

I think Parise brings more to the table than Vanek. And for once, I'm not just talking about stats. I think he's more consistent, a better two-way player, and IMO a better leader. Vanek puts a lot of pressure on himself to perform. He reminds me of a pressure cooker whenever he doesn't perform to his own standards. Parise is just as intense, but is more relaxed into his game and I think will be more consistent. He hasn't as yet hit his peak. And as someone else mentioned, he shoots from every angle.

As Pipes has said, you don't need to sell me on Ennis. But Parise is someone I would even consider trading Ennis for.

Is Parise at his size worth more to the Sabres than Vanek to the point you would trade more than just vanek for him? That was my point. You said Parise was a "must have" and I think hes more of a luxury considering the players we already have. Granted if you could trade vanek for parise I would consider it but the fact that Parise will be getting a huge payday in the next year is also something to consider. Couple that with Vanek's ability to score 70+pts a season which I think he has finally figured out how to do and it gives parise just a slight edge. This team does not need another small speedy winger, we have Ennis and a couple others. If we get parise wont we start complaining that no one with skilled hands is parked in front of the net on the PP? (i am saying vanek goes away in the deal) Vanek has value outside is point total as well. Vanek has twice as many ppg. Parise has had more points in a season then Vanek. Its 6 to 1 and Half a Dozen to the other, Parise is just not a must have. Vanek gets 82pts this season playing on a line with Leino and Pominboysford and I think Parise probably does about the same. If he was not a LW than yes it would matter more, but with Ennis having possibly higher potential than either of them, it should be fun to see what happens this season.

In other News: Brent Burns signs 5 year extension with the Sharks. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372984

Is Parise at his size worth more to the Sabres than Vanek to the point you would trade more than just vanek for him? That was my point. You said Parise was a "must have" and I think hes more of a luxury considering the players we already have. Granted if you could trade vanek for parise I would consider it but the fact that Parise will be getting a huge payday in the next year is also something to consider. Couple that with Vanek's ability to score 70+pts a season which I think he has finally figured out how to do and it gives parise just a slight edge. This team does not need another small speedy winger, we have Ennis and a couple others. If we get parise wont we start complaining that no one with skilled hands is parked in front of the net on the PP? (i am saying vanek goes away in the deal) Vanek has value outside is point total as well. Vanek has twice as many ppg. Parise has had more points in a season then Vanek. Its 6 to 1 and Half a Dozen to the other, Parise is just not a must have. Vanek gets 82pts this season playing on a line with Leino and Pominboysford and I think Parise probably does about the same. If he was not a LW than yes it would matter more, but with Ennis having possibly higher potential than either of them, it should be fun to see what happens this season.

In other News: Brent Burns signs 5 year extension with the Sharks. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372984

1st bolded part: well played

2nd bolded part: thanks for bringing the topic of the thread back around lol.

Ok, I can't top this. Well said.

Without Parise out the Devils weren't a very good team.

With him back, they'll likely be back in the playoffs. That alone makes him worth it to them.

I think this is lost on many folks. The Devils will be a much better team with him. He is a clutch player and you just can't have enough of those.

I think this is lost on many folks. The Devils will be a much better team with him. He is a clutch player and you just can't have enough of those.

Exactly. This is why he's preferable to Vanek. Clutch players (like Drury used to be) are the key elements that the Sabres still need to have in order to win the Cup IMO. And Vanek reaching 82 points next season? I'll wager that Parise gets more points with probably poorer line mates than Vanek.

If we're going to discuss crazy things to shake things up that will probably never happen, let's talk about Malkin or something ... THAT gives them a different look.

Malkin? Screw that! Let's just get Crosby! We'll trade the Penguins Pommer + Boyes + Morrissonn for Crosby. Why wouldn't they make that deal?

If we're going to discuss crazy things to shake things up that will probably never happen, let's talk about Malkin or something ... THAT gives them a different look.

Do you actually think that we're as just as likely to trade for Malkin as Parise? Seriously???

Also, Nabokov looks to be playing for the isles this season?

His excuse seems like a steaming load to me... but it is what it is.

source

Does seem odd, but I've always liked Nabakov so I'm inclined to believe him. :D. I think his a good fit with a low standing team like the isles, I hope they resolve their differences and have a good season. Not better than us (not that I think there is a huge chance of that anyway) but still good.

No, but NJD are as likely to trade Parise as Pens are Malkin.

I didn't think the discussion was about a straight up trade but rather the fact that he only signed a one year contract. This discussion was whether the Sabres could/should make a play for him next year. Also consider that he could be available at the trade deadline depending on how the Devil's season was going.

Do you actually think that we're as just as likely to trade for Malkin as Parise? Seriously???

No, that's why I said "crazy things" that will "probably never happen."

We were discussing replacing Vanek with Parise ... but that would not be a trade, it would be paying through the nose for Parise next summer and having to trade Vanek in another deal to make room for his salary. As I noted in a previous post, lots of moving parts there and it's unlikely it would all come together. And my point was, even if the stars aligned and it all worked out, the Sabres are still weak up the middle, heavy on the wings and now smaller. MAYBE it makes them a little more "clutch" (Vanek has more playoff goals in fewer games, and Parise's teams haven't won a playoff series since 2007 either) ... but the team looks very much the same.

Is Pittsburgh any more likely to trade Malkin? No, but it's not like trading him hasn't been mentioned before. They have been searching for a winger for Crosby forever, Staal is certainly capable of being a No. 2 center, and freeing up Malkin's $8.7 million could go a long way for them ... who knows, maybe they would want to get in on the Parise sweepstakes to have him play on Crosby's wing. (They did play together as teenagers, along with Stafford.) Malkin's injury issue from last season is no different than Parise's, and he's certainly every bit as productive and clutch ....

I'd be pick-me-up-off-the-floor stunned if either thing happened ... but if we're dealing in hypotheticals and "Who would you rather have?" scenarios, let's find someone who doesn't leave us saying "Yeah, but ..." when it's all done. I was just throwing Malkin out there ... feel free to choose another center ... unfortunately, we have two damn months until the season starts. :wallbash:

I didn't think the discussion was about a straight up trade but rather the fact that he only signed a one year contract. This discussion was whether the Sabres could/should make a play for him next year. Also consider that he could be available at the trade deadline depending on how the Devil's season was going.

His point was we are more likely to trade for Parise as Malkin, in trade terms the two being imcomparable. I said the so are comparable as both players are cornerstones of their team.

Shea Weber in arbitration right now. He was asking for $8 mil. and the team was offering $4.5 million...

From my perspective Shea IS the franchise. He is by far the best player on the team, gets the most ice time, is the captain and most recognizable (and popular) player in the community... I know the Preds operate on a tight budget, but screwing around with Weber is a bad move IMHO. Norris caliber defensemen don't come around too often. Without him, I don't think the Preds make the playoffs.

Archived