Montador signs in Chicago

cdexchange

I would like to thank Monty for bringing a vet prescence and being a good guy and not bitching when he slipped and was put in his place. Much like Rivet actually. Just kept the mouth shut and marched on.

A lot of people in all walks of life, myself included should take a lesson from that.

4 years though? Wow way to go Monty!

Some people never know how much good a change of scenery can be in their careers/lives.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

He also had a great start last year also and then fell off the table. I always thought of him as a good team guy with good tools but not as high a hockey IQ as one might want. To Labatt's point, I would've been fine with keeping him and unloading Leopold, but I don't think there's much difference between the 2. Leopold is probably more consistent, while Monty is more physical and definitely would've attacked Lucic if Monty had been on the ice at the time.

I always liked Monty; good heart, though not overly talented. He's averaging about 13:45 per game there as, I would guess, a third-pair defenseman behind Keith, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, and Seabrook. He's taken advantage of a little extra opportunity due to some recent injuries on their defense, scoring all three of his goals in his last three games (2 in his latest one.) Not sure it really says much.

Yeah, Monty's lost more fights in a year than most players fight in their careers. :thumbsup:

What's worse...A player who has the balls to stick up for his teammates and drop the gloves whenever needed(despite coming out on the short end of the stick of many fights), or what we saw Saturday night?

What's worse...A player who has the balls to stick up for his teammates and drop the gloves whenever needed(despite coming out on the short end of the stick of many fights), or what we saw Saturday night?

I was just being funny (or trying, anyway.) The latter is far worse.

I'll just go on record as saying I never really had a problem with Montador. .... A guy, like Lydman, that I didn't really want to see part ways.

He also had a great start last year also and then fell off the table. I always thought of him as a good team guy with good tools but not as high a hockey IQ as one might want. To Labatt's point, I would've been fine with keeping him and unloading Leopold, but I don't think there's much difference between the 2. Leopold is probably more consistent, while Monty is more physical and definitely would've attacked Lucic if Monty had been on the ice at the time.

I always liked Monty; good heart, though not overly talented. He's averaging about 13:45 per game there as, I would guess, a third-pair defenseman behind Keith, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, and Seabrook. He's taken advantage of a little extra opportunity due to some recent injuries on their defense, scoring all three of his goals in his last three games (2 in his latest one.) Not sure it really says much.

I agree with all of this. I too would have been perfectly OK with resigning Monty. I do wonder what happened late last season that had him struggling to get into games. If he played the last 15 games like he played the first 50 games he'd probably still be here.

I agree with all of this. I too would have been perfectly OK with resigning Monty. I do wonder what happened late last season that had him struggling to get into games. If he played the last 15 games like he played the first 50 games he'd probably still be here.

And have yet another guy keeping Liger's man_crush on the bench? I'm not sure he would be able to contain himself.

And the second he was a healthy scratch in game 7, his fate was sealed. I don't know how you can possibly re-sign a guy, or why a guy would want to re-sign, after that.

I would have been fine with a one-year contract. (although his love for skating the puck in front of his own net gave me high blood pressure - it never really burned him).

No thanks on a 4 year contract though.

I was rooting for a Regehr/Myers, Weber/Leopold, Montador/Gragnani defense.

I was hoping Sekera, Ennis, and prospect to get Iginla or a real leader up front and then sign Talbot. You could have still signed Leino too and just make the cap if you did it right.

That would have been a reasonable set of pairings provided you got the Oct-Nov Monty instead of the Jan Monty.

After they traded for the rights to Ehrhoff, that wasn't going to happen.

I'm still looking forward to this year's trade deadline, though I was really hoping to see a trade happen sometime this month. I doubt that the hope will be realized at this point.

That would have been a reasonable set of pairings provided you got the Oct-Nov Monty instead of the Jan Monty.

After they traded for the rights to Ehrhoff, that wasn't going to happen.

I'm still looking forward to this year's trade deadline, though I was really hoping to see a trade happen sometime this month. I doubt that the hope will be realized at this point.

That's the thing with Ruff....he played with some edge as a player, but he coaches more like a juniors coach who is all about puck movement and quick outlets and mainting position....physical play be damned. Sure, you can take control of a game with an overwhelmingly efficient offense, but it's easier balancing a healthy dose of grit who can clear the crease and take the forecheck to the opponent than it is finding 20 pretty boys with enough talent to spin the other team around. The Sabres always seem like they take the academic and teaching approach instead of the real world, get the job done approach. I thought they found Jesus with Regehr, but instead of it being a start, that was it and it looks like a net negative in the physical department this year.

Montador is no world beater, but he is a responsible all-around guy who would have allowed you to plug more money towards a franchise player on the front end. We've had Weber wasting in the pressbox, and close to $8 million spent on Sekera and Ehrhoff. Simple math says I would have taken Weber/Montador/Richards over Sekera/Ehrhoff/Lieno. I'm not upset we didn't pay Richards, but if you are gonna spend, I'd rather have a F250, a Lancruiser, and a Porsche in the garage than a Prius/Audi/Honda Pilot.

Archived