Montador signs in Chicago

cdexchange

Ahh yes, because clearly Steve Montador (who we weren't making any attempt to sign) has the same value as Christian Ehrhoff. :rolleyes:

Edit: I liked Montador and was really hoping that his play falling off the second half of the year was because of an injury. We'll miss his veteran leadership.

(And I'm kinda curious what the offer was for him at the deadline last year, knowing now how far we got WITH him)

You might want to check your sarcasm meter.

I was far more expecting my post to get the criticism that DD provided than yours.

Chicago reporters saying that the Hawks tried to get him at the trade deadline last year.

I also remember hearing that. It was for like a 2nd round pick if i recall. I wish i remembered who tweeted it, it was someone not very credible. When i heard of this trade tonight, that was my first reaction is that rumor must of been true.

He'll prolly get a raise over last year, but we need to step over and above him, not go sideways.

This is how I see it, too. He's a nice player, a good 3/4 D-man, but the Sabres are improving. I liked most of what I saw from Monty here; good luck to him as long as he's not in the Sabres' way.

I also remember hearing that. It was for like a 2nd round pick if i recall. I wish i remembered who tweeted it, it was someone not very credible. When i heard of this trade tonight, that was my first reaction is that rumor must of been true.

I remember hearing this as well as the trade deadline. I guess the rumor was true. He'll be a much cheaper replacement for Campbell.

Well, when one of the guy's biggest selling points is he's a vet on a rookie heavy squad it's not that big a selling point w/ Ehrhoff (hopefully), Regehr, and Myers all playing over 20 minutes / game and Leopold there as well.

Ehrhoff - Myers

Regehr - Leopold

Weber - Sekera/Gragnani

That looks like it should be entertaining to watch.

Kudos to DR for getting even a 7th for him.

god no...Myers is no where near a one.(yet).......Ehroff-Leopold!!!

god no...Myers is no where near a one.(yet).......Ehroff-Leopold!!!

Myers was playing nearly 24 per game in the playoffs and was getting over 22 in the regular season. I fully expect him to be getting top pairing ice time this season.

And, if you'd prefer to call Regehr - Leopold the #1 pairing and Ehrhoff - Myers #2, I'm fine w/ that. I'd expect all 4 to be averaging over 20 minutes / game.

If they do sign him, it'll be interesting to see what the pairings are, but my guess is that Regehr - Leopold is a pairing.

Myers was playing nearly 24 per game in the playoffs and was getting over 22 in the regular season. I fully expect him to be getting top pairing ice time this season.

And, if you'd prefer to call Regehr - Leopold the #1 pairing and Ehrhoff - Myers #2, I'm fine w/ that. I'd expect all 4 to be averaging over 20 minutes / game.

If they do sign him, it'll be interesting to see what the pairings are, but my guess is that Regehr - Leopold is a pairing.

I dont think so. DR has mentioned how they wanted Regehr because hes a lefty and myers is a righty. I think the natural choice is to pair Regehr with Myers and see if they have chemistry. Pair Weber with Leo/Ehrhoff and Pair Sekera/MAG with Leo/Ehrhoff. Myers and Regehr together give you a legitamate shutdown pair that have the ability to paralyze the other teams forwards. Granted Regehr's play is somewhat of a mystery but it would make sense to make those 2 your top line.

Also Ehrhoff IMO is worth 5.25. I would not want to pay a lot more for him because of pending UFA and RFA's that i think provide better options going forward.

I agree. My guess:

Myers-Erhoff (top pair in terms of TOI)

Regehr-Leopold (2nd pair)

Sekera-Weber

extra: Morrisonn

Rochester: MAG

I don't think Morrisonn will be discarded -- signing a vet and then dumping him a year later doesn't seem to fit the TP approach. I also think Lindy and Darcy think you can never have too many veteran defensemen. So I think he stays in Buffalo as the #7 and MAG continues to polish his game in Rochester (and possibly plays before Morrisonn if an injury to the top 6 occurs).

I agree. My guess:

Sekera-Weber

I don't think Morrisonn will be discarded -- signing a vet and then dumping him a year later doesn't seem to fit the TP approach. I also think Lindy and Darcy think you can never have too many veteran defensemen. So I think he stays in Buffalo as the #7 and MAG continues to polish his game in Rochester (and possibly plays before Morrisonn if an injury to the top 6 occurs).

After the way MAG progressed last year in Portland and the way he showed when called up, I do not forsee him being anywhere but in Bflo. I believe Morrison is odd man out if they sign Erhoff. If they make a trade, the Sekera is probably trade bait and its up to Morrison and Weber to fight for ice time. I also think it is Regehr/Myers to bring stability to Myers game and a solid stay at home defense partner to allow Myers to create when the opportunity arises. Leopold & Ehrhoff woukld make a nice pairing as well. I am sure they will sort this out in training camp based on chemistry. The good thing is that in any of these scenarios, the Sabres D is much better.

I agree. My guess:

Sekera-Weber

I don't think Morrisonn gets "discarded" though I do expect him to start the year in Ra-cha-cha (nearly typed Portland there :doh: feels good to type Ra-cha-cha) unless one of the other younger guys gets traded as part of the package for another center. Even then, I could see them bringing in another low priced vet to be the 6th/7th, and Morrisonn finds himself 8th again.

I don't expect Weber to be the young guy going (if 1 goes) because they only have 1 other top 6 stay at home defenseman, which leaves Sekera or MAG as the trade bait D-man.

I agree. My guess:

Sekera-Weber

After what happened to the sabres D in the '06 playoffs, I think Darcy will always keep 2-3 spare defensemem capable of starting.

If they're going to be spending all this money, they really can't afford to keep Morrisonn up on the big club to be a 7th D. The reserve D and F (if they even bother to carry one of those at times) needs to be someone on a low level deal. Grags would fit that well.

Does Gragnani have to pass through waivers to be sent down?

Yes he does. Essentially, once a guy is off his entry level deal, he needs to clear waivers to be assigned to the minors at the start of the year. It's once a guy is called up that the 10 game thing comes into play. It's also why Gragnani wasn't sent back to Portland for the Calder Cup playoffs after we were eliminated. He would have had to clear again.

If they're going to be spending all this money, they really can't afford to keep Morrisonn up on the big club to be a 7th D. The reserve D and F (if they even bother to carry one of those at times) needs to be someone on a low level deal. Grags would fit that well.

Yes he does. Essentially, once a guy is off his entry level deal, he needs to clear waivers to be assigned to the minors at the start of the year. It's once a guy is called up that the 10 game thing comes into play. It's also why Gragnani wasn't sent back to Portland for the Calder Cup playoffs after we were eliminated. He would have had to clear again.

Well, if MAG has to clear waivers, then my prediction on Morrisonn changes. The Sabres are not going to expose MAG to waivers, so that means they'll keep him as the #7, which means Morrisonn would either stay as the #8 or get sent down.

I expect the most likely outcome is for Morrisonn (and probably Kotalik) is for the Sabres to send them down. If someone claims either of them off of waivers, the Sabres will save some cash. If not, they'll be in Rochester staying sharp in case they are needed in Buffalo as injury subs.

Well, if MAG has to clear waivers, then my prediction on Morrisonn changes. The Sabres are not going to expose MAG to waivers, so that means they'll keep him as the #7, which means Morrisonn would either stay as the #8 or get sent down.

I expect the most likely outcome is for Morrisonn (and probably Kotalik) is for the Sabres to send them down. If someone claims either of them off of waivers, the Sabres will save some cash. If not, they'll be in Rochester staying sharp in case they are needed in Buffalo as injury subs.

Mags is staying. I think Sekera is eventual trade bait for the center.

There are enough teams that need a puck-mover that Sekera should have more than reciprocal value.

And while we're on the topic of waivers, the only guy on the entire roster who spent a significant amount of time in Buffalo last year who doesn't have to clear waivers is Luke Adam.

Mags is staying. I think Sekera is eventual trade bait for the center.

There are enough teams that need a puck-mover that Sekera should have more than reciprocal value.

agreed, i think depending on the team you could send morrisonn in that package too.

ie: Sekera, Morrisonn, pick or picks for (insert the random center-man that you think we should get here)

agreed, i think depending on the team you could send morrisonn in that package too.

ie: Sekera, Morrisonn, pick or picks for (insert the random center-man that you think we should get here)

If money really is no issue, they're probably better off keeping Morrisonn in Rochester (I still want to type Portland when I say this). I know people aren't too fond of him, but he's a solid insurance policy to have around just in case 85 defensemen go down like they did in '06. We have some good D prospects, but I'd still much rather call up a seasoned vet in the playoffs instead of an unproven Schiestel or Brennan.

And while we're on the topic of waivers, the only guy on the entire roster who spent a significant amount of time in Buffalo last year who doesn't have to clear waivers is Luke Adam.

Ennis doesn't have to clear either.

Archived