Montador signs in Chicago

cdexchange

Mags is staying. I think Sekera is eventual trade bait for the center.

There are enough teams that need a puck-mover that Sekera should have more than reciprocal value.

I can see Sekera being traded, and I agree that he has real value, but only in a package for a high-quality center. He has too much upside and is too inexpensive to just unload for the sake of making room for MAG. And if he, Weber and MAG are #s 5, 6 and 7 to start the season, I expect MAG to be #7.

I can also see MAG being dangled in trade for a center -- I think the Sabres would probably include whichever one their trade partner preferred (but they wouldn't be as indifferent if the trade partner wanted Weber -- ie I think the Sabres value Weber higher than they value losing one of Sekera or MAG -- or at least I do).

And while we're on the topic of waivers, the only guy on the entire roster who spent a significant amount of time in Buffalo last year who doesn't have to clear waivers is Luke Adam.

Good info (notwithstanding the chz correction). Thanks.

I can see Sekera being traded, and I agree that he has real value, but only in a package for a high-quality center. He has too much upside and is too inexpensive to just unload for the sake of making room for MAG. And if he, Weber and MAG are #s 5, 6 and 7 to start the season, I expect MAG to be #7.

I can also see MAG being dangled in trade for a center -- I think the Sabres would probably include whichever one their trade partner preferred (but they wouldn't be as indifferent if the trade partner wanted Weber -- ie I think the Sabres value Weber higher than they value losing one of Sekera or MAG -- or at least I do).

Good info (notwithstanding the chz correction). Thanks.

With the glut of wings that the Sabres have and (hopefully) the glut of top 4 D-men they'll have, it doesn't make sense to include Sekera in a package for a D-man or winger unless it's for a Martin St. Louis or the like. Having him or MAG in a package for a center could make a ton of sense.

I could see the Sabres trading either Sekera or MAG (especially if they land Ehrhoff) but would expect them to be very hesitant to trade Weber as they don't have a lot of NHL ready stay-at-home D-men after Regehr.

So without looking at his numbers, I assume he's a 160 guy and not an 80 guy. So what is it, 21 years old at signing when the cutoff is 160?

18,19,20 yr old

5, 4, 3 years

all 160 games

does that make enough sense?

At those ages, it's those number of years in the NHL or that many games.

18,19,20 yr old

5, 4, 3 years

all 160 games

does that make enough sense?

At those ages, it's those number of years in the NHL or that many games.

No, I've got it. I've seen that chart a million times, just never bothered to actually remember it.

If you looked at posts here from December through early March, people were banking on 2.5-3 per year for him from the Sabres...and not many had a problem with that.

That is a gross generalization and exaggeration. Monty was like the fat chick who always answers the 3 AM booty call - satisfies your immediate need, but is just holding you over until you could upgrade - never the one you would want to take to the big dance. His play deteriorated significantly in the second half of the season, not just the last month.

If he doesn't bounce back, then it's a slight overpayment.

If he does bounce back, it's 450k more than Gaustad gets. It is worth noting that even with falling off, last season was a career year for Monty in points and +/-, and that the cap is up better than $14 Million since even the Campbell deal was made.

Monty was superhuman in Oct-Nov ....Brutally less than human in Dec-Jan....and returned to human form somewhere around March, when I'm convinced he was just trying too hard.

He protected his goalie, players, and has an under-rated shot. He gets a lot through.

If he can even out he might have some nice years.

Monty was superhuman in Oct-Nov ....Brutally less than human in Dec-Jan....and returned to human form somewhere around March, when I'm convinced he was just trying too hard.

He protected his goalie, players, and has an under-rated shot. He gets a lot through.

If he can even out he might have some nice years.

That's pretty much what I remember.

Yup. I like the guy, but agree the Sabres needed a better player. Glad to see he has value somewhere.

This.

He was what the team needed at the time. Stand up guy who could play at a respectable level and teach the young guys how to be pros. Being affordable was what got him here. He was brave (or stupid) enough to take on whoever needed taking on. He felt compelled to try to put the team on his shoulders from time to time. Really, he was willing to do whatever needed to be done. I'll applaud the next time he takes the ice at HSBC.

This.

He was what the team needed at the time. Stand up guy who could play at a respectable level and teach the young guys how to be pros. Being affordable was what got him here. He was brave (or stupid) enough to take on whoever needed taking on. He felt compelled to try to put the team on his shoulders from time to time. Really, he was willing to do whatever needed to be done. I'll applaud the next time he takes the ice at HSBC.

No, THIS. ^^^^

I would like to thank Monty for bringing a vet prescence and being a good guy and not bitching when he slipped and was put in his place. Much like Rivet actually. Just kept the mouth shut and marched on.

A lot of people in all walks of life, myself included should take a lesson from that.

4 years though? Wow way to go Monty!

Archived