Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

No. It's important that we talk about it on this message board until we reach a consensus on how this should, and will, turn out.

Appearantly doohickie missed it the time we did reach a consensus, created peace in palestine, and solved the AIDS epidemic. This board is powerful when we get it together.

Hi everyone -- I've been quiet for a while due to post-season burnout followed by travel, work, etc., plus the lack of desire to rehash the same arguments/discussions I've already been through a million times here. But I cannot let the past week's events go unremarked on.

First, the Sabres got a very good player in Regehr to waive a NTC to come to Buffalo. I'm pretty sure that has never happened before.

Second, in Regehr, the Sabres added a very strong player (ie not a 2nd-tier or 3rd-tier guy like Spacek, Leopold, Montador, etc.) -- a guy with a very good league-wide reputation who is a top-4 defenseman on any team in the NHL (and you have to love the "tunnel of death" nickname -- both because it's a cool name and because it's well-deserved based on his youtube highlights). I can't remember the last time that happened.

Third, the Regehr trade involved the Sabres essentially paying an extra $3MM in cash (for Kotalik's contract) to get the deal done. This has definitely never happened before.

Fourth, the Sabres, at this stage anyway, appear to have gotten the better end of the Regehr trade by a wide margin. Darcy has pulled that off plenty of times, but not in a while.

Fifth, the Sabres are now taking a strong shot at a guy in Erhoff who is the undisputed #1 UFA at his position. I'm pretty sure that has never happened before, and certainly not since the lockout.

Sixth, the Sabres' pursuit of Erhoff means that they have identified an area of their team in need of improvement and are moving decisively to fix it with high-end, expensive veteran additions. This also has never happened before.

Seventh, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I now kinda think the Sabres are going to get Erhoff, and I also kinda think they're going to get Richards. In other words, I half-expect them to add the #1 UFA defenseman AND the #1 UFA forward. I have never expected anything remotely like this out of the Sabres.

Please thank the Hockey Gods for Terry Pegula every night before bed.

Do you believe? I think I do.

We're gonna win that Cup.

Go Sabres.

PS: This is my 5000th post. It's been a pleasure hanging out and talking hockey with all of you -- and I have a feeling it's gonna get much better. And, PAFan, if you're still lurking somewhere, please come home. We miss you.

First off, congrats on the 5000 posts and you are a poster that I do look forward to reading comments about the Sabres, and this post proves exactly why.

Pegula won't turn this around overnight to make us the model franchise in the NHL, but reputation is HUGE these days...agents talk to agents, players share agents, word travels fast.

Make no mistake: Players, agents, GM's, owners, and NHL writers all over North America are taking notice. Pegula means business.

Hi everyone -- I've been quiet for a while due to post-season burnout followed by travel, work, etc., plus the lack of desire to rehash the same arguments/discussions I've already been through a million times here. But I cannot let the past week's events go unremarked on.

First, the Sabres got a very good player in Regehr to waive a NTC to come to Buffalo. I'm pretty sure that has never happened before.

Second, in Regehr, the Sabres added a very strong player (ie not a 2nd-tier or 3rd-tier guy like Spacek, Leopold, Montador, etc.) -- a guy with a very good league-wide reputation who is a top-4 defenseman on any team in the NHL (and you have to love the "tunnel of death" nickname -- both because it's a cool name and because it's well-deserved based on his youtube highlights). I can't remember the last time that happened.

Third, the Regehr trade involved the Sabres essentially paying an extra $3MM in cash (for Kotalik's contract) to get the deal done. This has definitely never happened before.

Fourth, the Sabres, at this stage anyway, appear to have gotten the better end of the Regehr trade by a wide margin. Darcy has pulled that off plenty of times, but not in a while.

Fifth, the Sabres are now taking a strong shot at a guy in Erhoff who is the undisputed #1 UFA at his position. I'm pretty sure that has never happened before, and certainly not since the lockout.

Sixth, the Sabres' pursuit of Erhoff means that they have identified an area of their team in need of improvement and are moving decisively to fix it with high-end, expensive veteran additions. This also has never happened before.

Seventh, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I now kinda think the Sabres are going to get Erhoff, and I also kinda think they're going to get Richards. In other words, I half-expect them to add the #1 UFA defenseman AND the #1 UFA forward. I have never expected anything remotely like this out of the Sabres.

Please thank the Hockey Gods for Terry Pegula every night before bed.

Do you believe? I think I do.

We're gonna win that Cup.

Go Sabres.

PS: This is my 5000th post. It's been a pleasure hanging out and talking hockey with all of you -- and I have a feeling it's gonna get much better. And, PAFan, if you're still lurking somewhere, please come home. We miss you.

The last time the Sabres had a trade situation like this was back when they traded for the rights to LaFontaine. He clearly was an upgrade over Turgeon and the Sabres knew they'd have to pay through the nose to get him signed.

He wasn't an UFA, but it's the closest parallel that I can come up w/. He was far and away the best player in the league that was being made available for the right offer.

And if not for some major injury runs and a questionable personnel decision it could have resulted in a SC or 2.

Let's hope they don't fall victim to the injury bug this time. It could be fun again.

"Christian, I heard you were hungry and I brought you a little gift from Buffalo."

Terry Pegula places a pizza box from La Nova on the table and slides it across the Ehrhoff and his agent. Ehrhoff opens the box and discovers it is filled with $1000 bills.

"Buffalo, NY, is a great place to grab a meal, if you know what I mean," Pegula says, standing up and preparing to walk back to his helicopter.

#ProbablyNotButWouldntThatBeAwesome

Maybe an actual La Nova pizza would be just as persuasive.

Darcy said it at Regehr's press conference today. He said he's talked to others too.

Ehrhoff has played with Campbell, Bernir, S. Bernier, Primeau, Curtis Brown, Grier, Rivet and Torres.

How could you not want to play for an owner that shows up to presser look like that.

post-1428-097848600 1309449664_thumb.jpg

He's rockin the business socks.

Grier is talking with Ehrhoff. Sweet.

This is by-the-by, but if Grier's knee is approved by the Sabres' medical staff (which presumably has been upgraded by TP), I want him back.

The last time the Sabres had a trade situation like this was back when they traded for the rights to LaFontaine. He clearly was an upgrade over Turgeon and the Sabres knew they'd have to pay through the nose to get him signed.

He wasn't an UFA, but it's the closest parallel that I can come up w/. He was far and away the best player in the league that was being made available for the right offer.

And if not for some major injury runs and a questionable personnel decision it could have resulted in a SC or 2.

Let's hope they don't fall victim to the injury bug this time. It could be fun again.

Good call on Lafontaine.

BTW: what was the questionable personnel decision?

This is by-the-by, but if Grier's knee is approved by the Sabres' medical staff (which presumably has been upgraded by TP), I want him back.

Good call on Lafontaine.

BTW: what was the questionable personnel decision?

I'm guessing the Mogilny trade.

From GR550:

Ehrhoff is doing his research on the Sabres by contacting players he has skated with such as Mike Grier and Craig Rivet. In addition, Ehrhoff has talked to fellow countryman Jochen Hecht who joined him on the German national team. Regier expects to talk to Curran Thursday afternoon after Ehrhoff and his wife discuss their decision further.

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-GM-Darcy-Regier-updates-the-latest-on-Ehrho/10245829

Maybe an actual La Nova pizza would be just as persuasive.

There's room in the Pegula-copter for that.

Although I'm reminded of this: Link

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars? I wanted a peanut!

Homer’s Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.

Homer: Explain how!

Homer’s Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Homer Simpson: Woo hoo!

From GR550:http://wgr550.com/Sabres-GM-Darcy-Regier-updates-the-latest-on-Ehrho/10245829

Eerily similar to the Regehr process. Let's hope it has the same outcome, provided we don't sell the farm.

The message that the sabres are not a bottom feeder and are looking for Cups has pervaded the league but it appears like all things that seem to good to be true, players want to talk to ppl and make sure they are doing something smart and correct. In the end only they can make the decision but it seems that in the past players did not even want to talk or consider coming here. This is a step in the right direction. Ehrhoff should sign here knowing that the community is not as bad as ppl make it out to be (every city has a crappy area) The surrounding burbs are very nice and the fans here will not riot if we lose a Stanley cup in game 7.... well hopefully not. Also our owner is pretty cool and we have the best player facilities in the league. The local food (ive heard that Ehrhoff loves food) is pretty good with things like wings and mighty taco and i bet ya there are some good german returants in this town as well. Come here for 5mil and you will have more money than playing in NYC or TOR while making 6mil.

srry i know Ehrhoff wont read it but that is how i feel about this area and this team at the moment.

The local food (ive heard that Ehrhoff loves food) is pretty good with things like wings and mighty taco and i bet ya there are some good german returants in this town as well.

I get the local pride stuff and all, but a "lover of food" is unlikely to find a connection to artery-clogging bar food and late night tacos.

Archived