Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

My math already had Kotalik and Morrisonn in the minors and Boyes gone to get us to $20 Mil of cap space this year (Before Ehrhoff and the RFAs). I had been figuring in a new contract for Myers for this year, which is incorrect.

That was the reasoning for my original comment.

It's interesting that Ehrhoff likely doesn't even know his rights have been traded to the Sabres, because he's in Germany where it's currently the middle of the night--- quoting his agent in the Buffalo News' Sabres' Edge blog:

"When he wakes up in the morning and checks his e-mails, he’ll see from my message that he’s now the property of the Sabres," Curran said by phone. "At some point during the day tomorrow, Sabres management will have an opportunity to reach out and chat with him a little bit about their organization, express to him their aspirations for bringing him to Buffalo and what they hope to accomplish. Everything will kind of bloom from there."

"His mind-set is to be with an organization that is looking at being a Stanley Cup contender, and being part of a group of players that are looking to win," Curran said. "The best way to put it is, 'I’ve left Vancouver, where we were knocking on the door for the Stanley Cup, and wherever I go I want to make sure that I have that same opportunity.'"

DaveDavisHockey Dave Davis

RT @JeffRussoWKBW: Sabres Agent for Ehrhoff says the Dman is in Germany, will speak w/ Sabres Thurs. about possibility of coming to Buffalo

Terry: Kim, do you like spetzle?

Kim: Terry, I already told them to gas up the jet.

Terry: This is why I love you.

Kim: And here's a copy of the Reinheitsgebot to study...

[

Good points but why the need for the caps for emphasis? For the visually impaired?

quote name=kishoph' timestamp='1309394281' post='297546]

I think that the SABRES are not that worried about that at this point. I listened to TED BLACK a few hours ago and when asked if SABRES fans should strap in their seatbelts for Friday, he hesitated at first and then firmly said yes. I think the ERHOFF deal must of already been in the works and he still said that they will be big players on Friday. We all may be a little skeptic because these kinds of dealings are new to us, but they are basically what PEGULA promised. This is surely turning into one of the biggest off seasons. :w00t:

Clearly the NYI tried to obtain Erhoff and he basically told them I'm not going from 60 mins from the Cup to your crappy team.

Will he come to the Sabres, maybe not, but he knows there is a better chance to win in Buffalo than NYI, except of course when we play NYI.

Let Regier and Pegula worry about the cap. The Sabres have plenty of space and it is not a concern. I think they know what they are doing.

It's laughable how many posters are concerned with our salary cap. Who cares? They will manage it. At worst, they trade Boyes or Pominville to a team struggling to get to the cap floor. Worry about that ###### in September. :thumbsup:

It's laughable how many posters are concerned with our salary cap. Who cares? They will manage it. At worst, they trade Boyes or Pominville to a team struggling to get to the cap floor. Worry about that ###### in September. :thumbsup:

Exactly, the cap right now is over $70MM They could sign Richards, Erhoff, and put an offer sheet to stamkos with that.

EDIT: to clarify, that is the summer 10% bonus cap.

This was talked about a little in another thread last week. Maybe this year is not the year to get that #1 center. Looking at the money that is coming off the books next season that maybe the time to strike with a couple of forwards. There is no way of knowing for sure what type of quality will be available next off-season but I doubt it could be much worse. They can get by this season with a makeshift group of centers and pickup a rental or two at the deadline. Invest the big dollars next off-season in Myers and that #1.

Taking a quick look at CapGeek, one team at a time, there are forwards but a very light center class. The Cream of that class is Patrick Sharp or the possibility of trading for Travis Zajac (if Uncle Lou doesn't think he can get the deal done) with a year left on his contract or a blockbuster for Matt Duchene from Colorado (though I think getting Stastny now would be much easier). Then it's Grabovski from Toronto followed by a mess of 'not top 2' and 'may retire' players (Stoll [LA] Hudler [DET] Moore [TB] Koivu [ANA] and Rolston [NJ]). That's free agency next year.

+1

I'd like to share this moment.

Breathe deep.

Hold it. Hold it.

And exhale.

That's Pegula air ur breathing.

Taking a quick look at CapGeek, one team at a time, there are forwards but a very light center class. The Cream of that class is Patrick Sharp or the possibility of trading for Travis Zajac (if Uncle Lou doesn't think he can get the deal done) with a year left on his contract or a blockbuster for Matt Duchene from Colorado (though I think getting Stastny now would be much easier). Then it's Grabovski from Toronto followed by a mess of 'not top 2' and 'may retire' players (Stoll [LA] Hudler [DET] Moore [TB] Koivu [ANA] and Rolston [NJ]). That's free agency next year.

I expect Chicago to work out something with Sharp soon. They just freed up a lot of cash with that Campbell deal. They don't have anyone else of consequence up for a contract this year or next.

Thinking of possible connections besides Hecht that we may have with Ehrhoff, assuming he goes the Regehr way of calling players for input on Buffalo, the only names that comes up is Criag Rivet and Mike Grier, while they were in SJ. If Ehrhoff reaches out to them to "seal" the deal, i really like our chances. Even though Rivet left kind of on sour terms, he's a classy dude who would do a Rhett Warrener type selling job i think.

Thinking of possible connections besides Hecht that we may have with Ehrhoff, assuming he goes the Regehr way of calling players for input on Buffalo, the only names that comes up is Criag Rivet and Mike Grier, while they were in SJ. If Ehrhoff reaches out to them to "seal" the deal, i really like our chances. Even though Rivet left kind of on sour terms, he's a classy dude who would do a Rhett Warrener type selling job i think.

Hecht and Ehrhoff were two of the only NHLers on the Germany Olympic hockey team in 2010, so they certainly know each other. Come to think of it, another guy from that team who is an unrestricted free agent and would be a nice third line center option is Marcel Goc. Good defensively, has a bit of offensive skill. Maybe we can load up on Germans. :)

I expect Chicago to work out something with Sharp soon. They just freed up a lot of cash with that Campbell deal. They don't have anyone else of consequence up for a contract this year or next.

I agree. He has, however, been on ym shortlist of guys to try to trade for (Him and Stastny primarily and, depending on what word may be on his opinion of the (Mike) Richards deal, Anze Kopitar). The Regehr trade, though, has left me open minded to the possibility that guys who aren't being shopped may be 'get-able'

Just woke up from my nap. Amazing freakin' news.

Pegula and Black are BAMFs.

And some credit for Darcy too!!!

Rivet didn't have THAT bad a break with us. He understood that the youngsters had out-paced him and appreciated that we sent him somewhere where he'd have the opportunity to play. A part of me is curious as to whether or not Jochen is in Germany as well. Though I am slightly more wary of Hecht, because while we know Lindy loves him, he's been hammered by local punditry. I mean, I know that he's not Tim Connolly, and that I like Hecht more than a lot of other folks, but we shall see.

Archived