Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

Wow, they are really looking to shore up the defense. Miller must be pitching a tent right now. Maybe the plan is to concentrate on D this offseason and O next offseason, especially since there isn't much O out there via free agency this year. Building from the goalie out. Plus we were 9th in scoring last year, and that was with our best center gone for half the year, so we're not really that horrible up front.

I think we could easily go deep in the playoffs this year just with the D changes we've made (esp if Ehrhoff gets done), then retool the O next offseason and really make our run for glory. :)

Wow, they are really looking to shore up the defense. Miller must be pitching a tent right now. Maybe the plan is to concentrate on D this offseason and O next offseason, especially since there isn't much O out there via free agency this year. Building from the goalie out. Plus we were 9th in scoring last year, and that was with our best center gone for half the year, so we're not really that horrible up front.

I think we could easily go deep in the playoffs this year just with the D changes we've made (assuming Ehrhoff gets done), then retool the O next offseason and really make our run for glory. :)

The offensive talent is worse next year than it is this year. I'm under the assumption that TPegs and co. are going for it all this year. Also, Darcy has stated publicly that his intention is to upgrade at the center position this year, so I expect a hard push for either Richards, Stastny, or another top center who might be available via trade.

Myers doesn't have to be paid until next year, shouldn't be a problem with multiple large contracts coming off the books.

Assuming Boyes comes off through a trade, only Hecht and Gaustad come off next season for $5.3 Million (according to cap geek). Ennis and Kaleta come up as UFAs next year too.

And I know big teams are doing what they do going on cup runs then worrying about their salary. But, let's say we take this club and add Richards/Stastny, Ehrhoff and Talbot. Is that team as good or as deep as the Blackhawks were when they went to the cup? I would also point at both Boston and Vancouver and say look at what they did with a few key moves and working with their players.

Don't get me wrong; I'm incredibly excited over all the goings on and think that if Roy can come back (and both he and the rest of the team can continue to grow like they did without him) and Pominville can come back and Vanek is still the leader we saw emerging, if you add Regehr and Ehrhoff, we beat Philly and have an above average shot of at least getting to the Conference Finals through Washington. And the concept of a better center or two is fantastic too.

I'm just a little more cautious.

I think you are referring to the Avalanche, but I know what you meant. It just took me a while to mentally switch sporting seasons.

I'm sure he meant the old Colorado Rockies...I didn't even know there was another team by that name now myself!

Assuming Boyes comes off through a trade, only Hecht and Gaustad come off next season for $5.3 Million (according to cap geek). Ennis and Kaleta come up as UFAs next year too.

Boyes, Hecht, Gaustad, Kotalik & Morrisonn from the cap as it is currently constituted. Totaling approx $14.9M. Plus an ever increasing salary cap.

I think we could easily go deep in the playoffs this year just with the D changes we've made (esp if Ehrhoff gets done), then retool the O next offseason and really make our run for glory. :)

You can bet the house that the center position gets addressed as well.

This is going to be one hell of a season coming up.

I think Pegula is making his run starting next season and continuing on for the next 2 after that.

After all, the wingers are all in their prime years.

Ernhoff gets signed, count on it.

And they will be a player for Richards as well. If that falters, they'll go to the trade market.

This team has me excited for the first time in a while now.

My immediate reaction was, dammit, they're going to waste space on Ehrhoff, when the D is ok, and not go after a C.

On second thought...maybe this opens up 2D plus a prospect or a certain young G for a C.

Is there a team that needs those, which might have a C the Sabs might want? Is it in the Rockies?

(VERY hopeful.)

I like the way you think. I also thought along these same lines. Use some of the young D talent to trade for the center that you need.

Wheeling and dealing like a drunk riverboat gambler, bring it.

Who said two d men, a center and a few young grier types a couple of months ago. Take that GAA down. Still plenty of cap room if you think about unloading a few wingers like pom, stafford ands others or even d. roy in the right deal.(they are floating resigning TIM!!/why?) Couple that with one or two defenders you can move in the right deal and there is room to make another move for a 1 center and maybe a young 3 with potential. My guess would be they take a shot at richards but end up trading for a western conference center for the one line. Benidict is right . Why would they grab the right is they did not think they could sign him.

If they sign this guy, I have to believe they are ready to deal Sekera or Leopold. It would just be one too many puck moving defenseman.

When I saw this earlier I thought the same thing. I wonder if a deal is already in place. Sekera in a package for Stastny? Maybe Leopold back to the Panthers? Maybe a team is interested in MAG?

I hope the Sabres can sign Ehroff. He would be an awesome addition. Offensive with a willingness to give up the body(108 blocked shots).

Boyes, Hecht, Gaustad, Kotalik & Morrisonn from the cap as it is currently constituted. Totaling approx $14.9M. Plus an ever increasing salary cap.

My math already had Kotalik and Morrisonn in the minors and Boyes gone to get us to $20 Mil of cap space this year (Before Ehrhoff and the RFAs). I had been figuring in a new contract for Myers for this year, which is incorrect. The RFAs will take another 4-6 Million to get done, which leaves 14-16 for Ehrhoff, Richards and a 3rd Line Center, which isn't a lot for those tasks.

Next year you need to pay Myers a lot of money. Ennis will be looking at Stafford's contract or so. And A decent wage for Kaleta. Plus player bonuses. And that's if you're just letting Hecht and Gaustad go (which isn't impossible, but I'm not ready to say Kassian/Foligno and Adam) are going to be ready.

Lots of money.

Now, I could be wrong and we can play the Kovy game with our contracts, especially for young guys like Myers and Ennis, but also with top tier guys we're looking at, which will have us tied up for a long time and hopefully we'll get the job done in the meantime.

I just refuse to be unrealistic about the Salary Cap when (albeit with Kotalik and Morrisonn on the cap number) all this is going down.

My math already had Kotalik and Morrisonn in the minors and Boyes gone to get us to $20 Mil of cap space this year (Before Ehrhoff and the RFAs). I had been figuring in a new contract for Myers for this year, which is incorrect. The RFAs will take another 4-6 Million to get done, which leaves 14-16 for Ehrhoff, Richards and a 3rd Line Center, which isn't a lot for those tasks.

Next year you need to pay Myers a lot of money. Ennis will be looking at Stafford's contract or so. And A decent wage for Kaleta. Plus player bonuses. And that's if you're just letting Hecht and Gaustad go (which isn't impossible, but I'm not ready to say Kassian/Foligno and Adam) are going to be ready.

Lots of money.

Now, I could be wrong and we can play the Kovy game with our contracts, especially for young guys like Myers and Ennis, but also with top tier guys we're looking at, which will have us tied up for a long time and hopefully we'll get the job done in the meantime.

I just refuse to be unrealistic about the Salary Cap when (albeit with Kotalik and Morrisonn on the cap number) all this is going down.

Let Regier and Pegula worry about the cap. The Sabres have plenty of space and it is not a concern. I think they know what they are doing.

My immediate reaction was, dammit, they're going to waste space on Ehrhoff, when the D is ok, and not go after a C.

On second thought...maybe this opens up 2D plus a prospect or a certain young G for a C.

Is there a team that needs those, which might have a C the Sabs might want? Is it in the Rockies?

(VERY hopeful.)

This was talked about a little in another thread last week. Maybe this year is not the year to get that #1 center. Looking at the money that is coming off the books next season that maybe the time to strike with a couple of forwards. There is no way of knowing for sure what type of quality will be available next off-season but I doubt it could be much worse. They can get by this season with a makeshift group of centers and pickup a rental or two at the deadline. Invest the big dollars next off-season in Myers and that #1.

If we sign erhoff, hockey heaven will have arrived. Two high profile D-men coming here in the span of a few days is enormous.

The way i see it, he gets signed an it leads to one of two things.

1.) we dont land the big free agent center, but we freed up the assets in players and prospects to make a big move in the trade market.

2.) free agents (richards in particular) take note of the serious upgrades management has pursued in the name of a championship.

There is no real downside to this move at all the way i see it.

Let Regier and Pegula worry about the cap. The Sabres have plenty of space and it is not a concern. I think they know what they are doing.

*puts up hands*

You're one hundred percent correct.

(It doesn't, however, mean I'm not going to wonder about it, and about trading for a center that isn't Brad Richards so that we can afford a Talbot and a #1)

This was talked about a little in another thread last week. Maybe this year is not the year to get that #1 center. Looking at the money that is coming off the books next season that maybe the time to strike with a couple of forwards. There is no way of knowing for sure what type of quality will be available next off-season but I doubt it could be much worse. They can get by this season with a makeshift group of centers and pickup a rental or two at the deadline. Invest the big dollars next off-season in Myers and that #1.

Unfortunately, the list of centers that are UFA next year looks even worse than it does this year (to think, the no. 2 UFA center this year is a Sabre--and it's freaking Connolly!). The morning guys listed 'em on GR this morning. It was ugliness. That's why I think a trade, rather than a FA signing, is the way it might happen.

Archived