Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

That's good news. You know they wouldn't have made the deal without thinking they could sign him before he hits the market.

Here's hoping that the price haggling out on the Island had more to do with him not wanting to play for the New York Islanders and less to do with the money, because if he's looking well upward of $5 Million, then we're going to be strapped to make a move for Richards or Stastny.

Very exciting to see things happening though.

Here's hoping that the price haggling out on the Island had more to do with him not wanting to play for the New York Islanders and less to do with the money, because if he's looking well upward of $5 Million, then we're going to be strapped to make a move for Richards or Stastny.

Unless we are able to trade away some salary on Friday.

Only smart if they actually re-sign him. And if the Islanders just did the same thing and couldn't, why would he sign with the Sabres before seeing what he could get on the open market on Friday?

:unsure:

Hockey Heaven baby! :thumbsup:

Good god this is fun.

I tend to think we are/were never going to be a serious player for Richards with the Rangers, Leafs and others ready to throw around some serious cash. IMHO, building from the back-end makes a lot of sense if a true number one center isn't a realistic option.

I tend to think we are/were never going to be a serious player for Richards with the Rangers, Leafs and others ready to throw around some serious cash. IMHO, building from the back-end makes a lot of sense if a true number one center isn't a realistic option.

screw slats he is so 1990's hockey. we got TP.

rest assured.

Okay, why would the Sabres make the deal if they were not confident they could sign the guy?

I'm not saying they weren't confident, I'm wondering if they should be confident.

If I'm Ehrhoff, I don't see the benefit of signing with the Sabres in the next 36 hours when I could have offers from the entire league on Friday.

I agree with you...hopefully they will have enough to snag Richards too, but this puts a crimp in their budget (if he signs). I'm sure he didn't want to play for the Islanders - I know I wouldn't!

Richards is a great player and the best free agent of this year's crop but that doesn't mean he is necessarily the guy we should break the bank for.

If we could sign Ehrhoff for half of what it would take to sign Richards, I'd rather have Ehrhoff. (And then we can trade a defenseman for help up front.)

Eh. It's not just the 2011/12 Roster that concerns me; Darcy and Uncle Terry are going to need to install a Scrooge McDuck swimming vault in Myers' house between now and next July. There's not a ton of money under the cap, even assuming another bump, which I'm not considering the expiration of the CBA, economic pressures worldwide and the problems with clubs who are getting killed under the 'salary floor' rules.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Killjoy (Hell, I just spent two hours on a blog post that supposes us getting Richards, Stastny and Talbot) but I'm still going to hope that he'll be okay with a little bit less on a cup contender, which he wasn't in Vancouver.

Time to deploy the Pegulajet!!!

No it won't. Between shipping out salary and sending

players to Rochester the sabres will be fine. It's big boy hockey now son.

Eh. It's not just the 2011/12 Roster that concerns me; Darcy and Uncle Terry are going to need to install a Scrooge McDuck swimming vault in Myers' house between now and next July. There's not a ton of money under the cap, even assuming another bump, which I'm not considering the expiration of the CBA, economic pressures worldwide and the problems with clubs who are getting killed under the 'salary floor' rules.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Killjoy (Hell, I just spent two hours on a blog post that supposes us getting Richards, Stastny and Talbot) but I'm still going to hope that he'll be okay with a little bit less on a cup contender, which he wasn't in Vancouver.

Golly gee, Pegulaman, I've got it all ready to go!!!

I agree with you...hopefully they will have enough to snag Richards too, but this puts a crimp in their budget (if he signs). I'm sure he didn't want to play for the Islanders - I know I wouldn't!

Thing of it is, until like three days ago, I wasn't low on Richards but didn't think we'd be a player because of the way Darcy was talking, that we'd be looking at making a big move, but that it would be a trade (Stastny/Spezza) instead of a big contract. At that time, I was targeting Ehrhoff (this was before even the Regehr trade).

Also, Buccigross believes the Sabres will be able to finish the deal. Which is nice, until I see the numbers at least. :D

Think of it this way, a lot of teams get themselves in cap trouble to make a strong run at the cup, the Sabres were never one of them.

Archived