Richards a Ranger

Warriorspikes51

I'd start a thread for it titled "Nothing About Brad Richards" but then chz might whip me.... wait, maybe I should start that thread.

I'm hoping Chz creates a thread called "All About Five Years Ago" and moves half the posts in this thread over there. This is an interesting thread, but I've literally skimmed/skipped half of the posts, because they are so off topic.

It's fine to answer a related question, but when you reach the point where you want to post a dissertation, ask yourself if it directly addresses the topic of the thread. If not, then create a new thread and post something like "This needs more discussion, but doesn't belong here, so I created this new thread: ________"

It seems like what's being argued is DD's stubborn refusal to countenance the possibility that he's staked out the wrong position on DR.

To boil it down: I don't think anyone disagrees with DD that the Sabres butchered the period between '05 and '07, and that the bad decisions early on snowballed into worse decisions later, leading to a completely disgraceful debacle. That team should've stayed in the NHL elite and should've been in the hunt every year for the Cup.

The disagreement lies in the question of whether the bad early decisions (or the later ones, for that matter) were DR's doing, as opposed to being forced upon him from above. Nobody here knows the truth with any certainty about most of the decisions, but what's been publicly disclosed certainly indicates that the Drury situation was 100% TG's fault. For some reason, DD is refusing to admit this. Either way, we don't know exactly what happened with the Sabres' decisions on Briere, Grier, Dumont, McKee, Soupy, etc -- except that the decisions were wrong and that an ounce of prevention would've been worth a pound of cure.

I am in the camp that believes that most of these poor decisions were forced on DR by LQ/TG. I certainly can't prove this, but it seems logical to me based on what's been said publicly and on DR's overall track record. Is this too generous to DR? Possibly, but he seems like a good, honorable guy to me. He's also built very good teams despite being hamstrung by ownership on a couple of different occasions. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Now, it's also perfectly reasonable not to give him the benefit of the doubt, as DD, DeLuca, APus, and others believe. But it's pretty disingenuous to pretend, as most of DD's posts in this thread have done, that all of these decisions were DR's, and that there is no question about it.

Finally, the fallback position of the "DR sucks" crowd seems to be that even if the bad decisions were forced on DR from above, it's still his fault because he should've resigned if that were the case. To which I will say again: when you have a family to support and you walk away from a good job in the community where your family lives and your kids have grown up in, and you quit that job because you refuse to eat a poopy sandwich from your boss, and quitting means that you will either not be able to get a similar job, or if you do that it will require moving your family to a new city (and possibly a new country) -- let us know. Until then, don't be so brave with someone else's job.

Having said all that: I think even the "DR sucks" crowd is going to be happy with this offseason.

Nice post. Well stated. Thanks.

OK...I'm done with it.

These are exciting times. Darcy said he wants to get "thicker". His words, not mine. I say good for him.

I am thrilled where this seems to be headed. Just because I don't respect Regier's tenure here doesn't mean I can't get behind him when it looks like we are going for it. Before we start handing out candy and BJ's, just wanted one last factual outburst of where his junk has been.

Pegula is 3 jellybeans short of a Ronnie Reagan decanter, but I love being on the other side of things for once. I don't think they pull off Richards and Ehrhoff both, but it's fun trying.

OK Kids....sorry. Still love you Taro.

OK...I'm done with it.

These are exciting times. Darcy said he wants to get "thicker". His words, not mine. I say good for him.

I am thrilled where this seems to be headed. Just because I don't respect Regier's tenure here doesn't mean I can't get behind him when it looks like we are going for it. Before we start handing out candy and BJ's, just wanted one last factual outburst of where his junk has been.

Pegula is 3 jellybeans short of a Ronnie Reagan decanter, but I love being on the other side of things for once. I don't think they pull off Richards and Ehrhoff both, but it's fun trying.

post-1934-060073100 1309451718_thumb.jpg

While a think Richards is a pretty good player, he is NOT worth what is rumored to be the asking price. I hope BFLO doesn't pay for an inflated contract only because he is a talented player in an otherwise weak market. I like what the Sabres have done so far and I think they could pick up a comparable center with a trade while taking on a lesser contract. While the spending spree gets everybody's hopes up I don't want to see the team get handcuffed with huge contracts and turn out to be another team that has to tear itself apart because of their payroll. I really don't see all the hype about Richards, his numbers aren't all that great. Darcy go for another trade to pick up a center, Richards is asking too much because he knows he's the hottest center on the market.

I really don't see all the hype about Richards, his numbers aren't all that great. Darcy go for another trade to pick up a center, Richards is asking too much because he knows he's the hottest center on the market.

I felt like this originally until I really looked at him. He is a perfect fit for Buffalo in every way. His numbers are not scary or out of line. This guy is a complete player and ensures Vaneks gets 50 + next season. And the one after and the one after that... I would much rather have an older Richards F/A than trade for a younger more expensive Spezza and what we would give up. Being honest I cant say much about Stastny to make the same claim about. He may very well be worth the trade.

That 1st line center is a gaping hole on our team and Richards completely plugs it.

I vote yes even if overpaying for Richards.

p.s. it seems he is willing to take less than the most mobney on the table so that would speak to his character also. We'll see about that though.

OK...I'm done with it.

Now that that is out of the way... on with the candy and BJs!

I felt like this originally until I really looked at him. He is a perfect fit for Buffalo in every way. His numbers are not scary or out of line. This guy is a complete player and ensures Vaneks gets 50 + next season. And the one after and the one after that... I would much rather have an older Richards F/A than trade for a younger more expensive Spezza and what we would give up. Being honest I cant say much about Stastny to make the same claim about. He may very well be worth the trade.

That 1st line center is a gaping hole on our team and Richards completely plugs it.

I vote yes even if overpaying for Richards.

p.s. it seems he is willing to take less than the most mobney on the table so that would speak to his character also. We'll see about that though.

But you see my point though. There is no doubt he brings more to the table than just his numbers. I just don't want to go the way of having to tear a team apart because of payroll and end up being another "rebuilding" team in a couple of years. According to capgeek right now, the Sabres have $11 mil to spend and they still have to sign Erhoff, Gragnani, Weber, Sekera and Enroth, McCormick, not to mention whatever happens with Connolly. Looking to next year they're going to need to sign Ennis and Myers too. What plans do they have for Luke Adam? I love the fact they're going all out to bring a Cup to BFLO, I just hope they're also taking the long-term into consideration so this isn't just short-term burst. We'll see, should be an interesting weekend for sure.

This.

Tortorella was Richards' coach in Tampa, they won a Cup together, and reportedly they had a very good relationship. If the Rangers bring the cash (which I think they will), I see Richards signing in New York. Personally, I think we're best off targeting a physical, 3rd line center...

Read this, and then tell me Mr. Ehrhoff said all that based on Jason Pominville, Tim Connolly, and Derek Roy.

"I was originally going to wait and see what was available on the free agent market," Ehrhoff said in a statement released by the team. "After the Sabres acquired my rights and I spoke with [owner] Terry Pegula and [General Manager] Darcy Regier, I did my due diligence on the team and I was very impressed. I called some former teammates and others in the NHL who also had great things to say and I was aware that Robyn Regehr had waived his no-trade clause in his contract this week to join the Sabres. My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

We're going for a real #1. Period. If we don't get Richards, watch us get Stamkos or Stastny. Bank it.

Read this, and then tell me Mr. Ehrhoff said all that based on Jason Pominville, Tim Connolly, and Derek Roy.

"I was originally going to wait and see what was available on the free agent market," Ehrhoff said in a statement released by the team. "After the Sabres acquired my rights and I spoke with [owner] Terry Pegula and [General Manager] Darcy Regier, I did my due diligence on the team and I was very impressed. I called some former teammates and others in the NHL who also had great things to say and I was aware that Robyn Regehr had waived his no-trade clause in his contract this week to join the Sabres. My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

We're going for a real #1. Period. If we don't get Richards, watch us get Stamkos or Stastny. Bank it.

That's a very bold statement, but strangely (and i still can't believe I'm saying this) after everything i've seen within this past week... it all seems extremely... plausible.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

If Richards is serious about wanting to go to a contender, I'm having trouble seeing where he ends up other than Buffalo or Los Angeles. I suppose that depends on what your definition of contender is, but after this past week I think most would agree Buffalo is far closer to being a serious contender than NY or Toronto. If Tampa becomes a threat, TP simply makes an absurd offer sheet to Stamkos that Tampa has to match putting them out of the running. I admittedly don't know as much about Western teams so I don't know how close LA is to being a serious contender, but I'm feeling very good about our chances here.

While a think Richards is a pretty good player, he is NOT worth what is rumored to be the asking price. I hope BFLO doesn't pay for an inflated contract only because he is a talented player in an otherwise weak market. I like what the Sabres have done so far and I think they could pick up a comparable center with a trade while taking on a lesser contract. While the spending spree gets everybody's hopes up I don't want to see the team get handcuffed with huge contracts and turn out to be another team that has to tear itself apart because of their payroll. I really don't see all the hype about Richards, his numbers aren't all that great. Darcy go for another trade to pick up a center, Richards is asking too much because he knows he's the hottest center on the market.

I disagree. Certainly he will be paid more than he is worth, that's a given. However given the dearth of quality centers in this year's UFA market and next, it is important that we sign him.

If not, we will have to attain a quality center via trade (not Stastny IMO) which will cost us a rising star - maybe Ennis + picks. I don't want the team to lose quality like that. But if we sign him, we can trade the talent of our choosing for future picks or a good left winger or to dump salary in order to take care of Myers next year.

IOW, once we get the major pieces in place we can fine tune everything else.

I disagree. Certainly he will be paid more than he is worth, that's a given. However given the dearth of quality centers in this year's UFA market and next, it is important that we sign him.

If not, we will have to attain a quality center via trade (not Stastny IMO) which will cost us a rising star - maybe Ennis + picks. I don't want the team to lose quality like that. But if we sign him, we can trade the talent of our choosing for future picks or a good left winger or to dump salary in order to take care of Myers next year.

IOW, once we get the major pieces in place we can fine tune everything else.

I guess I agree with you to a point. I've just seen too many teams end up crumbling because of salary mistakes. But I guess in the Sabres situation you can't pass up something that's in high demand in the first place. We have 5 maybe 6 wingers who have or could possibly score 30+ goals. Someone like Richards could shine in an environment like this. I suppose if they can keep getting away with top heavy long term contracts, it would certainly help the cap hit. 8+ hours and counting! :D

GOOD MORNING HOCKEY HEAVEN!!!!!

I hope you all have your anticipation expressions on this morning.

Today is going to be a great day for SABRES FANS!!!

I GOT A FEELING.......

And Tonights Gonna Be A Good Night, Tonights Gonna Be A Good Good Night...........

:beer:

Archived