Richards a Ranger

Warriorspikes51

If anybody listened to the interview with BR's agent, it all sounded really really good. Until the last 5 seconds, when they asked about Cody McCormick. "We talked to Darcy about 10 days ago. I'm not going to go call Darcy two days before free agency, but if he wants to talk to me, he knows my number. The ball is in Darcy's court."

Probably reading too much into it, but that scares me a little bit. Kind of comes off as he's not happy with the way negotiations have apparently stalled -- and this is the same guy who represents Brad Richards, who is going to weigh ownership and management heavily when making his decision.

Posturing is a huge part of negotiation.

If anybody listened to the interview with BR's agent, it all sounded really really good. Until the last 5 seconds, when they asked about Cody McCormick. "We talked to Darcy about 10 days ago. I'm not going to go call Darcy two days before free agency, but if he wants to talk to me, he knows my number. The ball is in Darcy's court."

Probably reading too much into it, but that scares me a little bit. Kind of comes off as he's not happy with the way negotiations have apparently stalled -- and this is the same guy who represents Brad Richards, who is going to weigh ownership and management heavily when making his decision.

If I was waiting to see what would happen with Richards (which may or may not be the case), I think Cody would be on the back-burner of the grill behind the garage as well.....With Pegula in place, RFAs are a bit more important right now...not to mention what happens on 7/1

I didn't hear it quite the same way. What I heard was a voice that totally compartmentalizes different players.

I didn't hear it quite the same way. What I heard was a voice that totally compartmentalizes different players.

It wasn't so much in what the agent said, just worries me that we're looking at the "same old Darcy." We're talking the last few days before free agency and it's been 10 days since they've heard from him? 10 days in what honestly should be a very easy process -- not like McCormick is going to cost anything more than 1.5-2 mil and it's not going to have a big impact on our cap numbers. And Cody is the type of player that could be gone very shortly after 12:00 on Friday.

It wasn't so much in what the agent said, just worries me that we're looking at the "same old Darcy." We're talking the last few days before free agency and it's been 10 days since they've heard from him? 10 days in what honestly should be a very easy process -- not like McCormick is going to cost anything more than 1.5-2 mil and it's not going to have a big impact on our cap numbers. And Cody is the type of player that could be gone very shortly after 12:00 on Friday.

Crazy contracts for guys like Colton Orr and Derek Boogard have increased the cost for guys like McCormick. I like Cody, but I think there are alot of guys who could do the job he does, certainly for less than $1.5-$2M.

I really don't think he is. As much as he may be valued here, he's the type of player you add at under $1 M. when all the pieces are in place

If you show me an agent who factors the treatment of Cody McCormick into his negotiations for Brad Richards and I'll show you an agent without a job.

Doubtful. I don't care if it's Cody McCormick or Wayne Gretzky... if I'm trying to get my star player Gretzky a new team, and one of the key factors in his decision is how reliable/dedicated/professional the team's management is, I'm certainly not going to recommend the team who ignored my texts and never returned calls about Cody McCormick. First impressions can mean a lot.

I really don't think he is. As much as he may be valued here, he's the type of player you add at under $1 M. when all the pieces are in place

I agree he should be cheaper than $1 mil.. just left myself some leeway so people wouldn't come in here saying "it's a bigger deal than $1 mil."

Doubtful. I don't care if it's Cody McCormick or Wayne Gretzky... if I'm trying to get my star player Gretzky a new team, and one of the key factors in his decision is how reliable/dedicated/professional the team's management is, I'm certainly not going to recommend the team who ignored my texts and never returned calls about Cody McCormick. First impressions can mean a lot.

Gimme a break. I guarantee you Pat Morris would have nothing but positive to say about the professionalism and reliability of Darcy. TIgnoring texts and calls and firwst impressions, what a load. Like this is teh first impression morris has lol.

Gimme a break. I guarantee you Pat Morris would have nothing but positive to say about the professionalism and reliability of Darcy. TIgnoring texts and calls and firwst impressions, what a load. Like this is teh first impression morris has lol.

I'm just going to assume you're drunk and pretend you didn't post.

Is that what the agent said happened? Cause from your quote above it sounded like they haven't come to an agreement and he is stating that it's so late in the game why not wait to find out what Cody can get on the open market. We don't know what McCormick and his agent are asking for, so I find it hard to complain that they haven't reached a deal.

I'm just going to assume you're drunk and pretend you didn't post.

Ok I'm going to assume your hitting the pipe pre lunch then for your suggestion.

Morris not new to the game liek Darcy is not. I think they have a long established relationship and you post screamed sky is falling.

Ok I'm going to assume your hitting the pipe pre lunch then for your suggestion.

Morris not new to the game liek Darcy is not. I think they have a long established relationship and you post screamed sky is falling.

Nope. Those "Sky is Falling" posts will be the ones you read 5 minutes after Brad Richards signs elsewhere. Or if you're into alternate endings, just read the last two years worth of DeLuca's posts about how the Sabres will never do anything right. I'm just saying if you're trying to lure a guy into a place like Buffalo, you want to make a good impression on his agent. His agent said "The ball is in Darcy's court. It's been 10 days since we've heard from him." then went on to say he's not going to bother calling Darcy before free agency, but that "he has my # if he wants to call" -- this implies to me that Cody has probably submitted his request for term and salary and hasn't heard back for 10 days. Also implies to me that agent is irritated with Darcy's lack of communication.

I agree he should be cheaper than $1 mil.. just left myself some leeway so people wouldn't come in here saying "it's a bigger deal than $1 mil."

All these agents really want their players to go to market.

That's how they make bank.

Don't think for a second that Morris was suggesting he's been hard done by....he's leveraging an imaginary market position that doesn't really exist for another 2 days.

Is that what the agent said happened? Cause from your quote above it sounded like they haven't come to an agreement and he is stating that it's so late in the game why not wait to find out what Cody can get on the open market. We don't know what McCormick and his agent are asking for, so I find it hard to complain that they haven't reached a deal.

And let's not forget that just last year the Sabres gave McCormick the biggest contract of his life, his first ever one-way deal. And then there are other clients that may have signed with the Sabres in previous years. The scenario we're talking about here would be like Bill Gates refusing to put some money in a specific bank because they earlier rejected me.

edit: And only 2 years worth of whining deluca posts? Come on jack, you've been here far longer than that.

Also his final words on Brad Richards: "Tell Darcy to be agressive." IE Don't sit on your ass for 10 days "mulling over" something that should be already mostly established.

He could also be telling Darcy that Richards is willing to come if the price is right.

And let's not forget that just last year the Sabres gave McCormick the biggest contract of his life, his first ever one-way deal. And then there are other clients that may have signed with the Sabres in previous years. The scenario we're talking about here would be like Bill Gates refusing to put some money in a specific bank because they earlier rejected me.

edit: And only 2 years worth of whining deluca posts? Come on jack, you've been here far longer than that.

on WGR they references some issues with Jay McKee's contract negotiations, but they didn't really provide any details -- if anyone can shed some light that would be great. i assumed they meant that Pat also represented Jay McKee but i haven't verified that

edit: yes Pat also represented Jay McKee and was apparently not happy with negotiations following the 2005-06 season, eventually led to McKee signing elsewhere.

He could also be telling Darcy that Richards is willing to come if the price is right.

That's kind of how I heard it. Of course, the agent gets a %age, so he wants all of the bidders to be aggressive.

Via the agent interview - Top 3 priorities are winning a cup, going to a place where hockey is king (filling the building night in and night out) and strong ownership....

Those are nice things to hear from an agent a few days before FA begins, but they all take a back seat to whatever team offers him the most cash on July 1st.

Archived