Richards a Ranger

Warriorspikes51

TBN says the have $10M in cap space, so they have room just not a ton of room to go on a shopping spree without dumping someone.

I am very happy in the direction the team is going. But is anyone else not over thrilled for Richards?

TBN says the have $10M in cap space, so they have room just not a ton of room to go on a shopping spree without dumping someone.

I am very happy in the direction the team is going. But is anyone else not over thrilled for Richards?

They can go 10% over the cap in the off season, they can bury contracts in the AHL if necessary, they can make some real noise this Free Agency.

Regier has made one thing clear over the years, he knows how to work the numbers to work both short term and long term.

Forget the cap for now and get into enjoying the moment.

THIS IS A GREAT DAY IN HOCKEY HEAVEN!!! :thumbsup:

Deal the cards and let the chips fall where they may, dam the torpedoes and full speed ahead :clapping:

There's a new sherrif in town.....Terry Pegula :worthy:

They can go 10% over the cap in the off season, they can bury contracts in the AHL if necessary, they can make some real noise this Free Agency.

Regier has made one thing clear over the years, he knows how to work the numbers to work both short term and long term.

Forget the cap for now and get into enjoying the moment.

THIS IS A GREAT DAY IN HOCKEY HEAVEN!!! :thumbsup:

Deal the cards and let the chips fall where they may, dam the torpedoes and full speed ahead :clapping:

There's a new sherrif in town.....Terry Pegula :worthy:

$10M includes the overages according to TBN. Im not sure if you can designate players for AHL now to bury them cap wise. I think some trades will happen today.

That being said, for the first time in forever, the Sabres will be a player for whatever FA they desire. :worthy:

$10M includes the overages according to TBN. Im not sure if you can designate players for AHL now to bury them cap wise. I think some trades will happen today.

That being said, for the first time in forever, the Sabres will be a player for whatever FA they desire. :worthy:

I happen to agree with you, a trade or 2 is coming.

Who and for what from whom will be answered in the next 45 days or so.

I love this feeling I'm feeling. I haven't felt this way since the very early 90's.

The Buffalo Sabres, players in the FA market?

WOW, just WOW :wub:

This is an exciting day that I'm really looking forward to. I'm anticipating a Brad Richards decision tonight around 7pm. From some reports I have read on ESPN.com, they actually think the Sabres are a dark horse to acquire Richards. If you think about it from Richards perspective, what's not to like about Buffalo? If you can get a lot of money and a good deal and you see what their ownership is doing and you see what they've done so far this offseason, they are committed to improving the hockey team and this is a real Stanley Cup Contender with Brad Richards, much more so than Toronto or New York Rangers. Los Angeles, is the other real threat in my mind, and they have a really good team and cap space to play with.

Here's the offer I'd make to Richards: 8 years, $50 million structured accordingly:

Years 1-2: $11 million

Years 3-4: $8 million

Year 5: $5 million

Year 6: $4 million

Year 7: $2 million

Year 8: $1 million

$38 million in the first four years with a cap hit of $6.25 million over the life of the deal. It's Cap friendly, gives the Sabres the ability to re-sign the RFAs this offseason, and allows them to salary dump really only Morrisson (likely in a trade) and/or Kotalik. This makes a ton of sense, but we'll see if Richards wants it.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

If Richards is serious about wanting to go to a contender, I'm having trouble seeing where he ends up other than Buffalo or Los Angeles. I suppose that depends on what your definition of contender is, but after this past week I think most would agree Buffalo is far closer to being a serious contender than NY or Toronto. If Tampa becomes a threat, TP simply makes an absurd offer sheet to Stamkos that Tampa has to match putting them out of the running. I admittedly don't know as much about Western teams so I don't know how close LA is to being a serious contender, but I'm feeling very good about our chances here.

first of all welcome aboard.

Second, I agree. Everyone is talking about him joing the Rangers or Leafs, but they aren't nearly as close of contenders as Buffalo or :sick: Philly :sick:

I would bet he is going to sign with a team in the East, and hopefully it'll be us!

When free agency begins this afternoon, Brian Burke will be in Kandahar, Afghanistan with a group supporting Canadian soldiers, which is certainly a wonderful gesture but the timing is a bit strange as it forces the Leafs to rely on front office underlings on their busiest day of the year... meanwhile, Sabres' top brass will be meeting directly with Richards' agent at his office in Missausauga, ON at noon. There will more than likely be other team representatives doing the same, but it's still an interesting difference in approach. Hopefully the extra attention that Pegula likes so much, and players seem to appreciate, can be the difference in landing Richards.

Not sure 8/50 will get it done though.

It may not get it done. But, it's a pretty damn good offer on a team that is building a Stanley Cup Contender. I think more money will be thrown at him by other teams, but if he's serious about winning another Stanley Cup and also make a lot of money, this would be a damn good offer.

I think the Sabres will be fine either way. If they get Richards to a cap friendly deal like 8/50, it would be a coup. If not, I anticipate that they will explore the trade market and go after Spezza, Briere, or Stastny and land one of them. The Sabres are going to get their number 1 center this offseason, and they might just get Max Talbot today, too. This is so much fun and exciting. I won't even be upset if the Sabres can't get Brad Richards because they've shown me they'll do whatever it takes to build a winner, and I have confidence they will find that player this offseason. I like Richards because he can also play on the PK and is pretty good two way in addition to being a major offensive talent. He used to play on the PK in Tampa if I remember correctly.

Not sure 8/50 will get it done though.

It's been written that he regretted his previous contract due to the way it impeded the teams that he played for from getting other players to help win. My guess is his cap hit will be between $6M to $7M for a long term regardless of which team he is going to.

I anticipate that they will explore the trade market and go after Spezza, Briere, or Stastny and land one of them.

Flyers will NEVER trade briere (at least not now) sens will ask WAY too much for spezza and i don't think spezza is worth all that maybe stastny but i don't know if avs want to trade him but someone i would like with the sabres it's stephen weiss from the panthers and every year they're trading good players so maybe we have a shot at that and send kotalik and some draft pick or something like that to them or maybe we should sign connoly then 5 min later send his ass to florida

Only thing that would put me off Richards is his age. Would love to get Stastny in here but the benefit of signing instead of trading is obviously that you don't need to give up any player assets.

Tjhey are going to have to do that via trade or AHL route anyway. if they get Richards, they will be up against the cap with several roster spots to fill. Someone is a goner.

Flyers will NEVER trade briere (at least not now) sens will ask WAY too much for spezza and i don't think spezza is worth all that maybe stastny but i don't know if avs want to trade him but someone i would like with the sabres it's stephen weiss from the panthers and every year they're trading good players so maybe we have a shot at that and send kotalik and some draft pick or something like that to them or maybe we should sign connoly then 5 min later send his ass to florida

Take a deep breath, lol.

Tjhey are going to have to do that via trade or AHL route anyway. if they get Richards, they will be up against the cap with several roster spots to fill. Someone is a goner.

Some assets are more valuable than others, Richards costs Kotalik & Morrisonn while a player via trade may cost Ennis, Sekera, Kassian etc.

Here's the offer I'd make to Richards: 8 years, $50 million structured accordingly:

Years 3-4: $8 million

Year 6: $4 million

Year 8: $1 million

$38 million in the first four years with a cap hit of $6.25 million over the life of the deal. It's Cap friendly, gives the Sabres the ability to re-sign the RFAs this offseason, and allows them to salary dump really only Morrisson (likely in a trade) and/or Kotalik. This makes a ton of sense, but we'll see if Richards wants it.

Pretty similar to my original idea (see pg 5):

Year 3: $9 million

Year 4: $7 million

Year 6: $3 million

Years 8-10: $1 million

$38 million in the first four year with a cap hit of $5.1M. Those extra two years bring down the cap hit a bit. I'm guessing that it will be similar to that, but with a little more cash over the whole thing. Probably something between that and this on the higher end:

Years 1-3: $11 million

Year 4: $9 million

Year 5: $7 million

Year 6: $5 million

Year 7: $3 million

Year 8: $2 million

Years 9-10: $1 million

$41 million in the first four years with a cap hit of $6.1M.

I am just not sold on the guy. Is he healthy concussion wise? And would he be worth that much to the team v. signing a couple of lower end centers? Not sure. I know he is talented, but is he the kind of guy that makes that much difference on this team???

I'm not going to be disappointed if he isn't in Buffalo. Buffalo's got a good shot at him, just don't sell the farm.

Brad says "Very open minded to all the situations that will be presented. To bad I couldn't try them all.... Will be good to move on"

Pretty similar to my original idea (see pg 5):

Year 3: $9 million

Year 4: $7 million

Year 6: $3 million

Years 8-10: $1 million

$38 million in the first four year with a cap hit of $5.1M. Those extra two years bring down the cap hit a bit. I'm guessing that it will be similar to that, but with a little more cash over the whole thing. Probably something between that and this on the higher end:

Years 1-3: $11 million

Year 4: $9 million

Year 5: $7 million

Year 6: $5 million

Year 7: $3 million

Year 8: $2 million

Years 9-10: $1 million

$41 million in the first four years with a cap hit of $6.1M.

I posted this idea in the ehrhoff thread:

I just came up with a theory, and it may not be proven true, even if we sign richards, but what if the trade for ehrhoff's rights and signing him before today wasn't as much about making the team better so richards would want to come here, but being able to publish some numbers in the media without violating the tampering rules. Ehrhoff is getting $8M wired to his account in Germany today. Brad richards (and his agent) now know this. What if this was a move to not only get on Brad's radar, but to cut to the front of the line?

Imagine this deal:

Year 1 (age 31): $25M signing bonus, $1M salary

Year 2 (32): $15M signing bonus, $2M salary

Year 3 (33): $8.5M salary

Year 4 (34): $4M salary

Year 5 (35): $3.5M salary

Year 6 (36): $1M salary

Year 7 (37): $1M salary

Year 8 (38): $1M salary

Year 9 (39): $1M salary

that's $41M in the next 12 months including a $25M check by the end of the day today. It's only a $7M cap hit. It meets all the requirements for a good contract (no circumvention) and meets the CBA rules for salary decreases (the 50% and 100% rules, section 50.7)

Before yesterday, this kind of deal wouldn't have been thought of. But the Ehrhoff signing might have just been a bow shot.

Would 9 years 60 million be enough to sign Richards?

Maybe.

Depends who the other suitors are and how much more than that they'd throw at him. If some of the quotes we've seen floating on this site are accurate (wanting to come to a contender, not wanting to handcuff the team w/ too big a cap hit, etc) then $60/9 could work. Before Ehrhoff, I'd have put the chances of landing BR at ~20%. Now I'd put them at just over 50%. (Where's Drane when you need him for the betting line?)

Archived