Richards a Ranger

Warriorspikes51

after seeing what the sabres have done in the last 24 hours, i believe that they will use brad richards to their advantage. Put out some feelers maybe find out some of the other teams are interested, but in the end, they will trade for a center. They will trade for a center because Richards is not a fit for the sabres IMO. Hes 31, hes very expensive, he isnt the hard tough skilled forward needed to clear room for vanek, and i think depending on what other teams do today, some centers will become viable trade bait. Time will obviously tell, but i think we add a couple pieces today so we can trade for our center later this week. Thats just my feeling and if we get Richards i am perfectly happy with being proven wrong. Our defense is quite good now and i think that makes getting the best center in UFA less of a priority and something that is less needed. I think we need a top center but just not richards anymore.

I posted this idea in the ehrhoff thread:

Year 1 (age 31): $25M signing bonus, $1M salary

Year 2 (32): $15M signing bonus, $2M salary

Per section 50.6 of the CBA, total salary and bonuses for a given contract year cannot exceed 20% of the max limit on the cap. So, neither year can exceed 0.2($64M) = $12.8M total.

busted.

Year 1 (age 31): $11.8M signing bonus, $1M salary

Year 2 (32): $11.8M signing bonus, $1M salary

Year 3 (33): $12.4M salary

Year 4 (34): $8M salary

Year 5 (35): $8M salary

Year 6 (36): $3M salary

Year 7 (37): $3M salary

Year 8 (38): $2M salary

Year 9 (39): $1M salary

restructured to meet 20% rule, $7M cap hit. $25M in next 12 months.

Would 9 years 60 million be enough to sign Richards?

Yes, but money won't be the issue. There will be half a dozen teams willing to pay whatever number is floated. He will make his determination based on which team provides the best balance of a great place to play and live with the opportunity to win the cup. As he has already stated, ownership stability and dedication will also be a major factor.

?What about signing Jagr? Any thoughts.

Started drinking a little early today, did you?

Yes, but money won't be the issue. There will be half a dozen teams willing to pay whatever number is floated. He will make his determination based on which team provides the best balance of a great place to play and live with the opportunity to win the cup. As he has already stated, ownership stability and dedication will also be a major factor.

I can't see him signing with anyone else but us if those are his requirements.

I can't see him signing with anyone else but us if those are his requirements.

Yup. By 7:00 tonight, we will be a Stanley Cup favorite for next year. They won't stop at Richards. I see a third line center and maybe even a 3/4 line forward with serious grit being added - someone who will be an upgrade over McCormick.

I think Buffalo's a great fit then. The money is going to be about the same no matter which team he signs with. It's going to be a lot of money, and all the teams will be in the same ballpark. It will come down to which team he feels most comfortable with and in my mind it's really only three teams, New York Rangers, Kings, and Buffalo Sabres. Rangers because of his connection to Tortorella. Buffalo because of everything we bring and how Pegula has changed the culture of the organization and the stability and leadership he brings as an owner. Toronto still isn't a playoff/Stanley Cup Contender yet. The Kings are a good organization with cap room, and a very young solid core that's at the cusp of taking it to the next level. So, I think Buffalo's legitimately in the mix to sign Richards. We'll see what happens today. Either way, it'll be fun.

I think Buffalo's a great fit then. The money is going to be about the same no matter which team he signs with. It's going to be a lot of money, and all the teams will be in the same ballpark. It will come down to which team he feels most comfortable with and in my mind it's really only three teams, New York Rangers, Kings, and Buffalo Sabres. Rangers because of his connection to Tortorella. Buffalo because of everything we bring and how Pegula has changed the culture of the organization and the stability and leadership he brings as an owner. Toronto still isn't a playoff/Stanley Cup Contender yet. The Kings are a good organization with cap room, and a very young solid core that's at the cusp of taking it to the next level. So, I think Buffalo's legitimately in the mix to sign Richards. We'll see what happens today. Either way, it'll be fun.

Torts aside, the Rangers suck - I don't think they will be a serious contender. I think our biggest rival will be Chicago - they just cleared a ton of room and talent off their roster - they need to add some talent to their roster. Philly will also go after him hard. They have the room and a talented roster.

I agree LA will be in the mix, but I think they are a distant 4th. Toronto is a mess - I don't think he would go there.

"Richards to Buffalo did not seem likely, or plausible to myself and many others UNTIL Mr. Pegula constructed Erhoff\'s front-loaded contract. 29 other NHL teams stand in awe of Pegula\'s financial fortitude and sense of urgency to attract and sign the best of the best players. A source told me that Richards places a high premium on a team\'s goaltending, as he did on Khabibulin in Tampa\'s Cup winning year in \'04. I\'m told that Richards holds Hank Lundqvist and Ryan Miller in high regard. Toronto\'s Reimer has not built a winning resume yet. Stay tuned...."

Garth on hockeybuzz. I know its hockey buzz but this could be interesting

Watching Free Agent Frenzy on TSN, and I just saw Lombardi and the Kings trying to get to Pat Morris's office but they were locked out. Hilarious. Hopefully, they are also locked out of signing Richards.

No doubt that was a courtesy to TP. :thumbsup:

I am just not sold on the guy. Is he healthy concussion wise? And would he be worth that much to the team v. signing a couple of lower end centers? Not sure. I know he is talented, but is he the kind of guy that makes that much difference on this team???

?What about signing Jagr? Any thoughts.

Wait so you're unsure about a guy who fills every need on the team and ensures Vanek gets 50 goals a year the whole time he is here, and then in the next breath you're talking Jagr? Jagr? On this revamped team. Jagr? bwhhahahahaaa um no. :death:

Devils Advocate - As far as Jagr goes, just putting it out there since he is a talent... mind you a prima dona, but has talent.

Richard, I just don't know that much about since he left TB so wanted to put out possible negatives... glad to see you're drinking the Bradaide.

I have no doubt is between NY and Buffalo. If my buddy is right and Pegula is in there now, I think it would be a HUGE advantage for Pegula...

12:55pm

Ken Beckett Just heard back from different source who seconds what Kyper said. #LAKings waiting. #Leafs in right now. Will try and update further

Archived