Richards a Ranger

Warriorspikes51

It's been a funny roller-coaster the last week. Up until 6/23 I never thought we had a shot at B. Richards, so I wasn't worried about it. Then the acquisitions of Regehr and Erhoff really had me believing it was possible, even probable, and I was pretty excited about it. Yesterday hearing that they took their name out of the hat early on and "just" signed Leino was kind of a letdown. But at this point, I really feel like they did the right thing. After all the talk from Morris and Richards about how he wants play for a contender, yadda yadda yadda, and then the BS move they pulled with admitting Rangers had last rights to match (and now signing with them today), I don't want that guy on my team. I look forward a Sabres sweep of the Rangers this upcoming season and/or playoffs and watching Regehr knock Richards on his a$$ multiple times. :thumbsup:

Edit: Just saw terms of NY deal. Still don't like that he seems to have played everyone yesterday after supposedly being the nice guy who didn't want to waste anyone's time with trading his rights before July 1.

Not a crazy contract at all. Still, I was never that sold on the guy given his age and concussion problems. I really think he benefited from being the best FA available in a weak market overall. Is he really a franchise player?

When you see the numbers that have flown around this week, that really isn't disgusting. And I agree he is more of a "core" type player and not franchise. I'd compare him to Vanek.

Richards signs with the Rangers, 9 years 6.5 per

Not too bad of a deal IMO..i thought he would command more in the 7.5 to 8 per year range. Unfortunately for Richards, he will become another Ranger flame out.

There's this. Is anyone right now thinking "Oh man, better watch out for the Rangers this year?"

An OK team added a nice player. That's about it.

The amount of money Richards got makes me like the Leino deal quite a bit less. And I wasn't thrilled with it from the start.

Why? He left money on the table to play w/ the Rangers. That deal wasn't offered to the Sabres or any other team.

Not a crazy contract at all. Still, I was never that sold on the guy given his age and concussion problems. I really think he benefited from being the best FA available in a weak market overall. Is he really a franchise player?

Dallas sure thought he was a franchise player. I guess the big question is, did he play like a franchise player on a team with limited skill around him? He was basically a PPG guy while there. And wasn't he a playoff MVP too? I'd say if he isn't a franchise player he's pretty damned close.

Was that his first concussion last season or were there more?

At $6.5M average I'm a bit jealous. I think I'll probably get over it 4 years from now when he's on the downhill though. :clapping:

He would have been the final piece for us. But whatever. Not meant to be and sure as hell seems like it was rigged for NY all along and perhaps he would have been better off to tell teams that he is shopping NY only. I would have done this contract for him without thinking twice.

Time to move on.

Why? He left money on the table to play w/ the Rangers. That deal wasn't offered to the Sabres or any other team.

He basically gave them a "hometown discount". He would have cost the Sabres a lot more i think. I'm not disappointed that he is not going to be a Sabre. I think it would have handcuffed us in the future to sign players like Myers.

You've been here long enough to know that this didn't need a new thread.

I only saw a thread whose topic was that he wasn't going to be signed by Bflo. Did I overlook the other thread whose topic was his destination? I guess it's because I haven't been around much this past season, but have the rules changed? Are all updates about a player supposed to be in one thread regardless of whether the thread title suggests a different discussion?

Now you've done it. The thread starting police ar ecoming at you with pitchforks! Stand up to them and they will quietly go away but they will hold it against you for a number of months.

But anyway, why did you start a thread on this? It is clearly mention in some other all about brad thread.

It's not shocking he chose NY. For a number of reasons. Single guy likes the big city etc etc oh and the fact that he knew he was going to Rags probably this time last year. What a charade. We did well by staying out of the loonie loop I guess. Was a complete waste of time chasing this guy. too bad I wanyted him and he was a perfect fit for us.

Now you've done it. The thread starting police ar ecoming at you with pitchforks! Stand up to them and they will quietly go away but they will hold it against you for a number of months.

But anyway, why did you start a thread on this? It is clearly mention in some other all about brad thread.

I checked THN, saw the news, and didn't see the thread to which you refer, unless you mean the thread that's about Bflo being out of the derby. Given that the topic of the Leino thread has devolved to anything but Leino, I'm not too terribly concerned about the Thread Police's disapproving glares. ;)

It's not shocking he chose NY. For a number of reasons. Single guy likes the big city etc etc oh and the fact that he knew he was going to Rags probably this time last year. What a charade. We did well by staying out of the loonie loop I guess. Was a complete waste of time chasing this guy. too bad I wanyted him and he was a perfect fit for us.

Agreed.

At least it was the Rangers instead of LA or Toronto. Both LA and Buffalo have a better chance at going deep into the playoffs than New York and frankly I wouldn't be shocked if Toronto won a cup before the Rangers do! New York is where star players go to rot away into obscurity... have fun Brad. Hope you meet the woman of your dreams.

Archived