Richards a Ranger

Warriorspikes51

my concern would be his recent concussion.....

but it's probably more favorable to land a Stanley Cup MVP who is 90 point capable @ 6-8 mil cap hit then it is to land a Stastny @ 6.6 and give up Enroth, Ennis, Adam 1st in the process. This team could use more leadership and Richards clearly brings it.

With Regehr and Richards also a guy like Jovanovski or Brunette in the lineup, this team has a much better foundation when the going gets tough.....

Well we did have #BradRichardsToBuffalo trending today.

Internet speculation suggested the Buffalo Sabres as a potential “dark horse” in the race. They have more than $12 million in available cap space and a new owner willing to spend, but it remains to be seen if he would want to come to Buffalo.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/41067-.html

These long term big money deals scare the hell out of me and handcuff my team in the future. Not sure I want this but I do want a top flight centre on this team. The straw that stirs the drink so to speak. But long term...?

http://wgr550.com/TSN-s-Darren-Dreger-comments-on-the-latest-Brad-Ri/10232818

Dreger believes that not only can the Sabres match that figure, Buffalo has an ace in the hole - Terry Pegula. Dreger cited the ownership problem the Dallas Stars have faced and said that ownership stability will play a part in Richards' decision and that Pegula is making the right move. "New attitude comes from ownership," Dreger told the WGR morning show. "I include Buffalo in just about everything...When you look at the free agent crop, it's not that deep...You have to do what you can to grab a guy (like Brad Richards)."

Dreger believes that the Rangers and the Toronto Maple Leafs will join the Sabres on their quest to grab Richards but the Sabres might have the advantage on their rivals from across the border. Richards has told friends that he is looking to win another Stanley Cup and Dreger believes that the Leafs' goalie situation could play a role in shaping where Richards decides to land.

#Timesrchangin

You seriously think he can play at a competitive level beyond that. I don't see too many successful 35yo in the league right now.

That's when you trade him to Florida so they can reach the cap floor.

That's when you trade him to Florida so they can reach the cap floor.

A good reason to front-load a contract. Being able to offer a team a $7M+ cap hit, with a $1-2M salary makes him very attractive for a basement team. Makes for a win-win trade.

I have to imagine that Terry will be in Mississagua (Brad's agent's office, where Brad will be) on Friday.

Interesting idea.

I really get the idea that Pat Morris is using this opportunity to leverage other teams to get Richards the best contract in NY. More bidders, better price.

A good reason to front-load a contract. Being able to offer a team a $7M+ cap hit, with a $1-2M salary makes him very attractive for a basement team. Makes for a win-win trade.

excellent point.

what're the kovalchuk [sic?] rules/guidelines again?

Via the agent interview - Top 3 priorities are winning a cup, going to a place where hockey is king (filling the building night in and night out) and strong ownership....

Could be very interesting on Friday.......I bet Buffalo makes a strong bid

/suddenly all aquiver with hope.

Via the agent interview - Top 3 priorities are winning a cup, going to a place where hockey is king (filling the building night in and night out) and strong ownership....

Could be very interesting on Friday.......I bet Buffalo makes a strong bid

Well, well, well then.....Brad.

excellent point.

what're the kovalchuk [sic?] rules/guidelines again?

Here's my previous idea that includes those rules:

If they go after Richards, I hope that they exploit the cap rules (even the new ones.) I believe that they are: (1) cap hit is average of all seasons not including 41st or higher birthdays, (2) years 36-40 have to have a minimum of $1M in salary. So, with Mr. Money bags, we could give him something like:

11, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1 (10 yr, $51M) with a cap hit of $5.1M.

The numbers could be off, but you get the idea. For once, let's play the big boy games.

Even if you take off two of those 1's, you get a cap hit of just over $6M.

If anybody listened to the interview with BR's agent, it all sounded really really good. Until the last 5 seconds, when they asked about Cody McCormick. "We talked to Darcy about 10 days ago. I'm not going to go call Darcy two days before free agency, but if he wants to talk to me, he knows my number. The ball is in Darcy's court."

Probably reading too much into it, but that scares me a little bit. Kind of comes off as he's not happy with the way negotiations have apparently stalled -- and this is the same guy who represents Brad Richards, who is going to weigh ownership and management heavily when making his decision.

Archived