Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Glad you liked it! Tonight I'm sipping Eagle Rare in honor of National Bourbon Day. :thumbsup: I also ordered a bottle of EH Taylor Jr small batch bourbon, so I'm looking forward to trying that when it arrives.

Taylor is good stuff. Lots of strong rye character to it. Big and bold.

I am in love. I mean totally smitten. Head over heels.

Upthread I mentioned that I stumbled upon one of Buffalo Trace's Antique series of whiskeys. Tough to find and rather spendy, mst places have waiting lists for these. I've had the Van Winkle version in the past but usually I don't stumble into a bottle for sale. Last month I was in Premiere and they had several bottles of Thomas H Handy rye for sale. It is one of the legendary Antique series that is released in very limited quantities. After much begging and pleading I was able to convince my wife to buy a bottle for my Father's Day gift. As it turns out, we are going to my in-laws for Father's Day. No way I am traveling with a bottle that expensive (or sharing it with the unappreciating masses). So.......... it is a gorgeous afternoon, and I have been patient. I opened it today to accompany a cigar. It is 136 proof and 7 yrs in the barrel.

Poured straight up it is powerful on the nose. Very sweet with lots of caramel and vanilla. Surprisingly the alcohol doesn't show on the nose. How the hell they managed that I'll never know. First sip is at barrel proof. WOW. Powerful stuff. Tons of caramel and vanilla and spice. Lots of spice. And it's boozy. No way around that at 136 proof. Easily overwhelmed my palate. I added a good hit of water, aiming for 90ish proof. The nose completely changed. Grass and spice, with caramel still present in large doses. On the palate I started to get some grassy and grainy notes. And some fresh sawn red oak. Cinnamon and anise shows up. And the vanilla really starts to shine. Even diluted this is one powerful, complex pour. Raisins and prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel, cinnamon, and anise. Oh my. Someone make me a pie with these ingredients.

I'm smoking a Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 and the leather and spice is really working with this rye. They are a match made in heaven.

I don't know how the hell I am going to be able to avoid drinking this on a regular basis. Special occasion prices but damned if I'll be able to avoid hitting on this bottle regularly while it lasts.

Oh how I wish I could discern all the flavors you do when I consume this stuff! Until then, reading your reviews is the next-best thing. Sounds like a good afternoon in WNY, so enjoy your Father's Day weekend.

Oh how I wish I could discern all the flavors you do when I consume this stuff! Until then, reading your reviews is the next-best thing. Sounds like a good afternoon in WNY, so enjoy your Father's Day weekend.

Time and experience. The more you drink it and compare different products, the more you will be able to pick up the differences

and thanks for the wishes. .

Edited by weave

Time and experience. The more you drink it and compare different products, the more you will be able to pick up the differences

and thanks for the wishes. .

I hope so! Right now I'm just reading the descriptions and trying to "find" those flavors when I taste something, and the sweeter notes are easy enough but the more subtle flavors mostly elude me. Well, practice makes perfect, right? :)

I hope so! Right now I'm just reading the descriptions and trying to "find" those flavors when I taste something, and the sweeter notes are easy enough but the more subtle flavors mostly elude me. Well, practice makes perfect, right? :)

Lots of practice! :P

So, I ended up with an unexpected Father's Day gift. We had a little fire going in the backyard and a neighbor stops by. He's carrying a bottle. Asks me to get a couple glasses. Not entirely out of character, but I wasn't expecting it either. Says he has something new for me to try. It's an Irish whiskey. John L Sullivan is the label. Never heard of it. The bottle says it is a small batch whiskey made by a small independent distillery in Ireland. COOL! Neighbor first tried it at a party and liked it. found and bought a bottle for himself. So, anyway....

Sweet honey and nectar on the nose. And a little fresh baked bread too. Golden amber in color. Initial hit on the palate is sweet grains and honey. And a hint of something like over-ripe pineapple. Not a complex whiskey at all. But pleasant. Finish is long and enjoyable. But as the finish is long, it is also fairly mild. Subtle hints of vanilla and an almost incense like spiciness. And the pineapple is there in the finish too. Overall it is an enjoyable pour with enough there to be interesting but it is a mild, smooth whiskey.

As for the rest of the story...... the neighbor went on to tell me that he went looking online to buy more and found out that the distillery was purchased by the company that owns Jameson's and was closed. CLOSED! Those imperialistic bastages! No more to be had. Told his son about it and his son tracked it down and bought him a case for his birthday. Now that is a good son! Neighbor got up to leave when the fire died down. I told him not to forget his bottle and he said, "No. That one is yours. Happy Father's Day".

I have good neighbors.

Holy cow; you DO have good neighbors!! Very nice.

I'm finally trying the EH Taylor Small Batch Bourbon tonight, but it was too hot for a noob at 100 proof and I accidentally overdiluted it. :( Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow or Sunday, lol.

Holy cow; you DO have good neighbors!! Very nice.

I'm finally trying the EH Taylor Small Batch Bourbon tonight, but it was too hot for a noob at 100 proof and I accidentally overdiluted it. :( Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow or Sunday, lol.

I like EH Taylor. Solid, solid pour. Local bar has it. Now you'll have me looking for it tomorrow night.

Edit- next time use a spoon to add water and taste as you go.

Edited by weave

So, I ended up with an unexpected Father's Day gift. We had a little fire going in the backyard and a neighbor stops by. He's carrying a bottle. Asks me to get a couple glasses. Not entirely out of character, but I wasn't expecting it either. Says he has something new for me to try. It's an Irish whiskey. John L Sullivan is the label. Never heard of it. The bottle says it is a small batch whiskey made by a small independent distillery in Ireland. COOL! Neighbor first tried it at a party and liked it. found and bought a bottle for himself. So, anyway....

Sweet honey and nectar on the nose. And a little fresh baked bread too. Golden amber in color. Initial hit on the palate is sweet grains and honey. And a hint of something like over-ripe pineapple. Not a complex whiskey at all. But pleasant. Finish is long and enjoyable. But as the finish is long, it is also fairly mild. Subtle hints of vanilla and an almost incense like spiciness. And the pineapple is there in the finish too. Overall it is an enjoyable pour with enough there to be interesting but it is a mild, smooth whiskey.

As for the rest of the story...... the neighbor went on to tell me that he went looking online to buy more and found out that the distillery was purchased by the company that owns Jameson's and was closed. CLOSED! Those imperialistic bastages! No more to be had. Told his son about it and his son tracked it down and bought him a case for his birthday. Now that is a good son! Neighbor got up to leave when the fire died down. I told him not to forget his bottle and he said, "No. That one is yours. Happy Father's Day".

I have good neighbors.

I think I've actually had that!!! The commissioner of my hockey league came back from Ireland with a bunch of private labels a couple months ago and Sullivan was one of them...I was a wee bit in the bag when I tasted it, I don't remember it being overly spectacular, but it was definitely appealing. The best of the bunch was a very small batch private lable that struggling to recall the name of, but its privately distilled in a zillion year old family castle in Ireland and I'll have to get back to you with the name.

As for me, white trash night! Jack Daniels neat

• 4 weeks later...

Over 3 weeks and no new whisky tastings?

Here is an article a little bit about the new continuous still over at Finger Lakes Distilling. It would be nice if this helps lower the selling price but I'd guess that isn't going to happen.

"According to Finger Lakes Distilling president Brian McKenzie, they’ll basically be able to quadruple their production based on the larger volume and the efficiency gains associated with the new still."

http://newyorkcorkreport.com/blog/2013/07/15/still-standing-finger-lakes-distilling-expands-production/

• 4 weeks later...

For you rye fans..... Last month I nabbed a bottle of Sazerac Rye. Sazerac has two bottlings, one is ultra premium and about $80/750mL, the other is about $30/750mL. I bought the lattter. 2nd time I've picked up a bottle of "Baby Saz". Really fantastic middle-of-the-road rye. Enjoying a glass this afternoon. A touch grassy, spicy, solid barrel notes of vanilla and caramel, but always the spicy rye is in the forefront. Thick, viscous mouthfeel. Smooth as silk. I don't know why I don't purchase this more often. It is great stuff.

Premier Liquors on Transit Road had it last month.

I love me a rye Manhattan, and I have been looking around for a good one at a decent price. Thanks for the tip - I'll be on the lookout for it.

I recently tried George Dickel rye ($23 / fifth) and was really impressed. As perfect a Manhattan - maker as I've ever tried. I liked it a lot better than Bulleit, which is a few bucks more and is the only rye I can find in my home town. I have been a devotee of Dickel No. 12 sour mash for a while, but sadly no Dickel products are distributed in my immediate area.

Edited by Skibum

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.