Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

I'm just picturing you (post-NyQuil) like this:

http://youtu.be/_xR0h6FGCBY

This is accurate, but perhaps too lucid.

If he finds a comfy spot, be it vertical, horizontal, he'll give me a nyquil tasting smooch and it's immediately ZZZZZ and then he radiates BTUs like some hellish furnace as he literally burns off whatever ails him. It's kind of amazing. If I tried it, there'd be a funeral shortly.

My brother and sister bought me a bottle of The Knot for my birthday. It's a 100 proof Irish whiskey and it's damn good (a little sweet). This last weekend was my first back to back drinking days in a long while. Chugged enough water before bed and felt good all weekend :beer:

dsc_3079.jpg

Ooops, messed up on the blithering idiot part :doh:

Edited by qwksndmonster

My brother and sister bought me a bottle of The Knot for my birthday. It's a 100 proof Irish whiskey and it's damn good (a little sweet). This last weekend was my first back to back drinking days in a long while. Chugged enough water before bed and felt good all weekend :beer:

"Straight up in a proper shot glass"

Why on earth would anyone want to drink out of a shot glass?

Ooops, messed up on the blithering idiot part :doh:

I wrote about this a while ago. Since then, I haven't been able to determine if the Knot is really good booze just marketed horribly, or really bad booze marketed brilliantly.

Either way, it's weird and worth a try,… if only because the ladies seem to enjoy it, as well.

Why on earth would anyone drink a whisky that had caramel color added (read the bottom of the label)?

You might be surprised by the number of whisky's that have caramel color added. It is a bit of a controversy across the pond, as the bottlers try really hard to not disclose the addition of coloring. Some of the brands with caramel coloring are pretty big names.

*I do not recall which brands right now, so don't ask!* :P

• 2 weeks later...

Had friends over for a holiday party last night. I received an interesting gift, a bottle of Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. The label indicates that it is made from the same recipe as Dead Guy ale, double distilled, and then "sea aged" in oak barrels for one month. Naturally, it was opened and shared.

Very interesting stuff. It is very Irish whiskey in character. The nose was sweet and malt, cereal, and honey. Had a nice, viscous mouthfeel. Much more interesting on the palate than I expected. Honeysuckle, faint hints of green apple, and even some cinnamon and spice on the finish. It was a very soft, smooth pour. IMO it compared very favorably to a very good Irish whiskey.

I'm not sure what "sea aged" is, and I'm not sure it lent anything notable to the whiskey. If I tried I thought I picked up some briny notes but I suspect that was planted in my head by the "sea aged" statement on the label. If it is really there, it is extremely subtle. I've had some really briny Scotches. This is not like that at all.

If you enjoy Irish whiskeys I think Dead Guy whiskey is definitely worth a try.

I'm not sure what "sea aged" is, and I'm not sure it lent anything notable to the whiskey. If I tried I thought I picked up some briny notes but I suspect that was planted in my head by the "sea aged" statement on the label. If it is really there, it is extremely subtle. I've had some really briny Scotches. This is not like that at all.

I found this. I'm not sure that aging for month would do anything other than have something interesting to write on the label, though.

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/12/01/barrel-bourbon-finds-its-sea-legs

• 4 weeks later...

Since D4rk hasn't gotten around to bumping this thread..... :P

Picked up a bottle of Glen Thunder unaged corn whiskey today for "research purposes". Yeah, that's it. Research.

I've had it before when I visited the distillery on Seneca Lake. Straight up it has a love it or hate it kind of flavor profile. It has a touch of sweetness to it, and I do pick up the corn. But it is a little rough and some of that corn flavor is a bit too similar to the scent of feed corn (for those of you that have ever had the opportunity to get a whiff of feed corn). It isn't the same as sweet corn. There is a funky, musty, graininess to feed corn. I pick up hints of it in this glass. And there is a bit of a solvent-y character to this as well. Not overpowering, but it's there.

Anyway, it's not something that I'd reach for to drink straight, or over ice for that matter. What to do? I decided that the grainy, funky-ness isn't entirely different from the character you get from tequila. Not the same flavors, but similar kinds of flavors. So an experiment is in order. I grabbed the Grand Marnier and some lime flavored soda water (no limes in the house) and mixed up a pseudo-margarita with the corn whiskey. 2 parts corn whiskey, 1 part Grand Marnier, ice, and top with lime soda water. And it is really darned tasty. I like it. I think I've found an alternative Summer cocktail.

I think I'll call it a Magnolia. A Dixie version of a Margarita.

Had friends over for a holiday party last night. I received an interesting gift, a bottle of Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. The label indicates that it is made from the same recipe as Dead Guy ale, double distilled, and then "sea aged" in oak barrels for one month. Naturally, it was opened and shared.

Very interesting stuff. It is very Irish whiskey in character. The nose was sweet and malt, cereal, and honey. Had a nice, viscous mouthfeel. Much more interesting on the palate than I expected. Honeysuckle, faint hints of green apple, and even some cinnamon and spice on the finish. It was a very soft, smooth pour. IMO it compared very favorably to a very good Irish whiskey.

If you enjoy Irish whiskeys I think Dead Guy whiskey is definitely worth a try.

Funny you mentioned the sea aging... heard about Jefferson's Ocean Bourbon recently (same idea) and very intrigued to taste, but very limited availabilty and high price point.

http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2012/06/04/jeffersons-ocean-aged-bourbon-review/

Since D4rk hasn't gotten around to bumping this thread..... :P

Picked up a bottle of Glen Thunder unaged corn whiskey today for "research purposes". Yeah, that's it. Research.

I've had it before when I visited the distillery on Seneca Lake. Straight up it has a love it or hate it kind of flavor profile. It has a touch of sweetness to it, and I do pick up the corn. But it is a little rough and some of that corn flavor is a bit too similar to the scent of feed corn (for those of you that have ever had the opportunity to get a whiff of feed corn). It isn't the same as sweet corn. There is a funky, musty, graininess to feed corn. I pick up hints of it in this glass. And there is a bit of a solvent-y character to this as well. Not overpowering, but it's there.

Anyway, it's not something that I'd reach for to drink straight, or over ice for that matter. What to do? I decided that the grainy, funky-ness isn't entirely different from the character you get from tequila. Not the same flavors, but similar kinds of flavors. So an experiment is in order. I grabbed the Grand Marnier and some lime flavored soda water (no limes in the house) and mixed up a pseudo-margarita with the corn whiskey. 2 parts corn whiskey, 1 part Grand Marnier, ice, and top with lime soda water. And it is really darned tasty. I like it. I think I've found an alternative Summer cocktail.

I think I'll call it a Magnolia. A Dixie version of a Margarita.

Glen Thunder is from FLD, yes? You should submit your recipe to them; maybe you'll be featured in a future newsletter!

• 2 weeks later...

whiskey is, globally, the fastest growing spirit.

'bout damn time the world figured it out.

I don't like it one bit. The rest of the world figuring it out means prices for my favorite beverages increase, proofs drop to meet demand, and my favorite labels drop their age statements and put out younger whiskey to meet demand.

No sir, Don't like it one bit.

I don't like it one bit. The rest of the world figuring it out means prices for my favorite beverages increase, proofs drop to meet demand, and my favorite labels drop their age statements and put out younger whiskey to meet demand.

No sir, Don't like it one bit.

If the market reacts anything like beer or wine has, the result will be a flood of small stills getting into the game, each with it's own take, some terrible beyond comprehension, some better than you ever imagined. Give it time, there are great whiskeys still left to be made. Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Japanese whisky is rubbing alcohol with flavoring. It is disgusting.

Fortunately, They're not going to fire all the Master Distillers and move everything to Osaka. But yes, the Japanese have a distinct flavor to their whiskey, and I don't like it either. Which is probably why Four Roses is the best selling Whiskey in Japan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.