Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

I don't like it one bit. The rest of the world figuring it out means prices for my favorite beverages increase, proofs drop to meet demand, and my favorite labels drop their age statements and put out younger whiskey to meet demand.

No sir, Don't like it one bit.

As a young whiskey drinker... Stop being such an effin' hipster :P

But has the effect actually manifested already?

As a young whiskey drinker... Stop being such an effin' hipster :P

But has the effect actually manifested already?

Can you be a hipster if you actually are old enough to have experienced it the first time around?

And yes, it has manifest itself already. Weller losing its age statements, Very good labels selling out to "collectors" and speculators, and Makers was only one of a few that have dropped proof to have more product in the pipeline.

Just look at the Van Winkle silliness., Van Winkle Lot B was a $40 bottle just a couple years ago. Now, when you can find it, demand has driven the price to more than double that.

Can you be a hipster if you actually are old enough to have experienced it the first time around?

And yes, it has manifest itself already. Weller losing its age statements, Very good labels selling out to "collectors" and speculators, and Makers was only one of a few that have dropped proof to have more product in the pipeline.

Just look at the Van Winkle silliness., Van Winkle Lot B was a $40 bottle just a couple years ago. Now, when you can find it, demand has driven the price to more than double that.

Actually, you're a hipster because you are at the age where you are starting to think about getting a new hip.

This topic got too long for me to read every page so let me state that this is in reply to bourbon drinkers and not scotch. I have tried scotch several times

and simply do not like it.

Bourbon is now made outside of kentucky - I have tried a few of those (such as MacKenzie) but I did not like those either.

Kentucky Whiskey (bourbon) is my thing and I have gradually been expanding what I have tried.

A few come from the same distiller (such as Buffalo Trace which is good and Eagle Rare which is one of my favorite. I have not found a bottle of 17 yet only 10)

Blanton's is good but at ~15 more than Trace and Rare, I doubt I will buy it again except on sale. I am currently drinking Angel Envy - very good but not better than Eagle Rare. Woodford is fine but overpriced. Maker's and Bulliet are both drinkable and the cheapest in the group. Weller's and Weiler's are also fine but just not as memorableas the others.

I also recommend people try Rebellion. I can get it for ~28 at times but it can go as has as $35.

One very drinkable and cheap bourbon is Rebel Yell. Less alcoholic content (and younger) than all the others but surprisingly good when you want to drink

something without breaking your wallet too wide open. 'course one can always drink Jack Daniels but that is not bourbon - its sour mash.

I have also tried Knobs Creek - which is fine but not worth the money IMO.

So, my favorite is Eagle Rare.

Happy sipping everyone.

-RichNJoisy

Owner of my favorite bar just sent me a text. He managed to get a bottle of 15yr Pappy Van Winkle. I know what I am drinking on Friday. I've never had any of the Pappy's. I haven't so much as seen a bottle in a long time. I hope the experience matches my expectations.

Is it good or bad that I am getting phone calls from the bar owner telling me when he gets interesting beer and booze?

Edited by weave

Owner of my favorite bar just sent me a text. He managed to get a bottle of 15yr Pappy Van Winkle. I know what I am drinking on Friday. I've never had any of the Pappy's. I haven't so much as seen a bottle in a long time. I hope the experience matches my expectations.

Is it good or bad that I am getting phone calls from the bar owner telling me when he gets interesting beer and booze?

Truth or Dare.....you find Daphnie from Scooby-Doo attractive in a tad more than a cartoon way?

Just opened a new bottle of FECKiN Spiced Irish Whiskey, and was struck by how much this reminds me of Bacardi Oakheart. I think weave might've said before the Oakheart had bourbon character. Lots of vanilla / cola on the nose. A little sweet, but not at all hot and very easy to drink neat. I like it.

every time i go to the liquor store I never see any variety of irish whiskey and never Feckin. it is always Jameson, bushmills, tullamore dew and the various varieties that they sell.

That's the first I'd seen Feckin, but it was at a store in MD and not PA. Not sure why they don't usually have it near me.

every time i go to the liquor store I never see any variety of irish whiskey and never Feckin. it is always Jameson, bushmills, tullamore dew and the various varieties that they sell.

Have you been to Premier? They have a sizable selection.

been awhile since I checked premier (end of summerish) think they had 3 others but they where clearly bottom barrel types. I think one didnt even have a name on it, think it just said irish whiskey and it was like $17 a liter. I may not be willing to drop a Franklin on a bottle but i cant stand cheap liquor. I'll have to swing by the one on Maple this weekend.

been awhile since I checked premier (end of summerish) think they had 3 others but they where clearly bottom barrel types. I think one didnt even have a name on it, think it just said irish whiskey and it was like $17 a liter. I may not be willing to drop a Franklin on a bottle but i cant stand cheap liquor. I'll have to swing by the one on Maple this weekend.

It may depend on the location but I recall Premier carrying Famous Grouse and a few others. There aren't the quantity of Irish labels that you'd find for Scotch or bourbon.

It may depend on the location but I recall Premier carrying Famous Grouse and a few others. There aren't the quantity of Irish labels that you'd find for Scotch or bourbon.

bourbon takes up a whole row and a half by itself, scotch damn near a whole row........... irish whiskey 3 foot section with 3 shelves lol

bourbon takes up a whole row and a half by itself, scotch damn near a whole row........... irish whiskey 3 foot section with 3 shelves lol

And if most liquor stores gave Scotch the room it really needs they would have an entire rack devoted to it.

I read a book recently that claimed 99 out of 100 whiskey drinkers worldwide drink Scotch. If just one more person each day chose bourbon instead there isn't enough production capacity to prevent selling out completely.

And if most liquor stores gave Scotch the room it really needs they would have an entire rack devoted to it.

I read a book recently that claimed 99 out of 100 whiskey drinkers worldwide drink Scotch. If just one more person each day chose bourbon instead there isn't enough production capacity to prevent selling out completely.

Title? I like to liquor books.

Title? I like to liquor books.

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/1419709909

So, my wallet is a whole lot lighter tonight., The lure of Pappy Van Winkle was strong. Local watering hole managed to get their mitts on 10yr Pappy van Winkle and 15 yr Pappy Van Winkle. Wow. What a difference between the two bottlings.

Drank both of these side by side to get a good comparison. Both are bottled at 107 proof. The 10yr seemed noticeably hotter than the 15 yr, even on the nose. 10 yr had aromas of burnt sugar and alcohol. On the palate it was a bit phenolic, with good hints of spice and caramel, but it seemed a bit rougher than I expected. Mouthfeel was thinner than I expected too. I suspect if I'd had this one by itself I would have gushed over it., But, the 15 yr Van Winkle just blew it away. The nose on the 15 yr was very sweet with heavy notes of caramel and brown sugar. The aroma was almost overwhelmingly sweet. I cannot imagine how they do this using burnt barrels. On the palate the first fleeting hit was sweet corn. Imagine the first whiff of corn on the cob.. But just for an instant, and then the super sweet caramel overwhelmed the tastebuds. Think creme brulee. The sweet caramel subsided quickly and was replaced by cinnamon, nutmeg, ribbon candy, cardamom, and cloves, and finished with tobacco notes. The tobacco surprised me. I have never picked that up in a bourbon. And the mouthfeel was incredibly smooth and silky. I don't think I have the palate to give this one justice. It was the most rich, complex whiskey I have ever put to lips.

When the bill came my eyes about popped out of my head., These are expensive whiskeys when you can find them. I can't recall the last time I ripped the lungs out of a $100 bill on two drinks. :blink:

So, my recommendation is this, Pappy 10 yr is real good, not great. I'd have been just as happy spending less coin on Four Roses Single Barrel or something unusual like Old Forrester, or Col EH Taylor. It is really good whiskey but the hype has resulted in a whiskey that is hard to get a good value at its price point. The 15 yr is a different story. It is overpriced and overhyped but it is also the most complex, interesting pour I've ever had the opportunity to enjoy. Even being what it is, it cannot possibly live up to the hype of long waiting lists and how much can you afford prices. Having said that, If you are a bourbon drinker you should drop too much coin on this one once to see what the hype is all about. It is unlike any bourbon I have had before.

I can only imagine what the 23 yr version has to offer. Some day.

Holy smokes... that was for 2 drinks? You've got a great bar / bartender if they were able to even get their hands on the stuff. If I ever see the 15 yr out (unlikely), I'll have to give it a try... sounds amazing. I'm still meaning to get a bottle of WL Weller.

Holy smokes... that was for 2 drinks? You've got a great bar / bartender if they were able to even get their hands on the stuff. If I ever see the 15 yr out (unlikely), I'll have to give it a try... sounds amazing. I'm still meaning to get a bottle of WL Weller.

The per glass price of the 15yr is about what my usual friday night bill usually runs. the total for the two wasn't $100 but the amount of change from $100 made me go :o

Edited by weave

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Scotch drinkers, I need your help. I need a VERY good bottle for someone. It's an important gift. I'm not opposed to spending "Blue Label" money on it, but I do wonder whether Blue Label, a blend, is worth the scratch. Can someone make a recommendation? Difficulty: Must be available in Buffalo.

I haven't been contributing to this thread as I much as I should be.

Ok, Scotch drinkers, I need your help. I need a VERY good bottle for someone.

If I wanted to get a great bottle for someone I knew really enjoyed scotch, I'd get them a bottle of Lagavulin 16. That's ballpark $80. It's a very very good scotch-drinker's scotch, and easily one of the best I've had.

And then there's this review on Amazon:

204 of 212 people found the following review helpful

stars-5-0._V192240867_.gif It'll turn you Scottish., October 17, 2012

By

Chadmo

This review is from: Lagavulin Scotch Single Malt 16 Year 750ML

You open the bottle and the smell hits you. This ain't no frilly Scotch. This Scotch is going to put hair in places you may not be accustomed to having it. You take a sip and your voice drops. You take a second sip and suddenly you have an oversized sword in your left hand. At this point your wife is confused and the kids are scared, but there's no turning back. After the third sip the accent comes. Slowly at first. An 'aye' here, a 'lad' there. But slowly takes a back seat after the fourth sip. Your accent is now full steam, you look out the window and Brian Cox nods in approval. A kilt falls from the ceiling as you realize you're now naked. You stand proud, take the fifth sip, and your wife looks at you with hunger in her eyes. It's a good day to be a Scotch drinker.

WL Weller.

It's been sold out near me for months.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Ok, Scotch drinkers, I need your help. I need a VERY good bottle for someone. It's an important gift. I'm not opposed to spending "Blue Label" money on it, but I do wonder whether Blue Label, a blend, is worth the scratch. Can someone make a recommendation? Difficulty: Must be available in Buffalo.

Do you know what this person normally drinks? Scotch is a very diverse dram. Great Scotch comes in subtle to in-your-face renditions.

You really need to hope Braedon is lurking.

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.