Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Excellent whiskey drinking last night. First up were Old Fashioneds with Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, and Bulleit Rye while we waited for a dinner table. All were tasty, but the bf and I both liked the Rye best. The bartender also made them using Amarena cherries (http://www.dibruno.com/amarena-wild-cherries.html) instead of marschino, which was so delicious that we stopped by a store today to pick some up. Then with dinner at Village Whiskey (http://philadelphia.villagewhiskey.com/m/menu-pdfs/PA_VW_Beverage.pdf) the bf had a Commodore and Atomizer, while I sampled the Rickhouse whiskey flight:

BLANTON’S SINGLE BARREL

FOUR ROSES JOSE GARCES SELECT SINGLE BARREL

WOODFORD RESERVE SELECT FOR VILLAGE WHISKEY

Four Roses had a floral aroma and good flavor, but also a fair amount of burn, so it was my least favorite. The Blantons had a sweeter aroma and a little burn up front but less on the back end, and also good flavor. My favorite was definitely the Woodford... very nice caramel aroma without being too sweet, and impossibly smooth with little to no burn. I thought saving the best for last was the way to go, but in retrospect I should've gone the other way because my palate was kinda shot after finishing the first two. Great night, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Weave...you might want to lay low for a while...

http://www.slate.com...distillery.html

They'll never catch me.

Hey, this probably goes here anyway....

A good friend of mine is part of one of the new distilleries set to open any time now in Rochester. He's the head distiller. They are working on some pretty neat stuff right now. Next week they are scheduled to do a spirit run of an Irish style whiskey made with barley and oats.

I'm hoping I'll get some previews. :P

They'll never catch me.

Hey, this probably goes here anyway....

A good friend of mine is part of one of the new distilleries set to open any time now in Rochester. He's the head distiller. They are working on some pretty neat stuff right now. Next week they are scheduled to do a spirit run of an Irish style whiskey made with barley and oats.

I'm hoping I'll get some previews. :P

SWEEETTTT

• 4 weeks later...

Article about bourbon - extracted from a new book mentioned in the article.

Fun "family tree" included.

http://www.gq.com/li...key-family-tree

I hate that articles like that one tell the whole world how awesome WL Weller is, and that the only difference between Weller and Van Winkle is time. If enough folks find out my precious Weller won't be the bargain it is anymore.

I hate that articles like that one tell the whole world how awesome WL Weller is, and that the only difference between Weller and Van Winkle is time. If enough folks find out my precious Weller won't be the bargain it is anymore.

Hey weave - I picked up a bottle if Colonel EH Taylor single barrel but haven't cracked it yet. Any good? Hunting cabin fare or should I save this for cigars on the patio and a nice fire?

Hey weave - I picked up a bottle if Colonel EH Taylor single barrel but haven't cracked it yet. Any good? Hunting cabin fare or should I save this for cigars on the patio and a nice fire?

Colonel Taylor is good stuff. I think I may have posted about it in this thread. That bottle would be high falutin' hunting cabin whiskey. Search this thread as I am pretty sure I've discussed it in here.

Colonel Taylor is good stuff. I think I may have posted about it in this thread. That bottle would be high falutin' hunting cabin whiskey. Search this thread as I am pretty sure I've discussed it in here.

I will look it up

Yukon Jack and meth.

See, its posts like this that DEMAND the return of the plus/minus system.

Here's your notes, Weave. Sounds too good for hunting camp. I will drink half the bottle and reek so bad in the morning that deer won't come near me.

Last was a bourbon called Colonel EH Taylor. I've reviewed it here before. I am going to post the revisitied thoughts before a look at what I posted previously. We'll see how much my thoughts have changed as the scenario I'm tasting themin has changed. On the nose I get raw sugar and a green minty/vegetal note. Think freshly picked green mint leaves and sugar. Maybe a touch of fresh lemon zest as well. On the tongue I initially get grain and straw but the sweetness is definitely in the background. Disappointingly thin mouthfeel. I get raisins, grains and dates quickly fading to pepper, and cinnamon Red Hots. This bourbon lacks depth of character. It is a bit thin and starts grainy with a touch of mint then it goes straight to cinnamon and pepper with no middle depth. Another very good, but not world class bourbon.

Of the three, Knob Creek Special Reserve was probably the most enjoyable. It was also the lowest proof, and the only one I drank neat.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon overall.

snapback.pngweave, on 01 September 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

The first pour was Colonel EH Taylor, it is a premium level wheat bourbon made by Heaven Hill to compete against the great Van Winkle line of wheated bourbons. Wow. I fell in love at the first sip. The nose was sweet and soft with nice caramel and licorice notes. And I had the same impressions at that first sip. It is really, really soft, yet interesting enough at the same time. Instead of the usual sweet vanilla this one was more like honey sweet, but not overly so. Not the most complex whiskey but an enjoyable, terrific pour.

Wow. Talk about a change in my perception. I guess I liked this whiskey alot more the 1st time around.

I've tried that. Yukon Jack is a bit harsh for my palate.

and another!

Hey Korab, here it is.

The first pour was Colonel EH Taylor, it is a premium level wheat bourbon made by Heaven Hill to compete against the great Van Winkle line of wheated bourbons. Wow. I fell in love at the first sip. The nose was sweet and soft with nice caramel and licorice notes. And I had the same impressions at that first sip. It is really, really soft, yet interesting enough at the same time. Instead of the usual sweet vanilla this one was more like honey sweet, but not overly so. Not the most complex whiskey but an enjoyable, terrific pour.

Later pours didn't find me as head-over-heels with it, but it is really nice stuff intended to go up against the lower tier Van Winkles (which is still getting near super-premium).

Damn. You beat me to it.

Edited by weave

Heading for the liquor store - hoping to find some four roses single barrel. If not, its probably Blanton's that ends up in my cart. Any other recommendations for commonly available bourbon?

Eagle Rare is pretty good for the price point and should be easy to find.

Heading for the liquor store - hoping to find some four roses single barrel. If not, its probably Blanton's that ends up in my cart. Any other recommendations for commonly available bourbon?

Eagle Rare is pretty good for the price point and should be easy to find.

Eagle Rare IS a good one. Anything with Weller on the label. Elmer T Lee is rumored to be the same recipe as Blanton's, just different barrels. Good stuff there. I know you like your whiskey bolder so I'd give a big thumbs up to Elijah Craig. Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit are great Wild Turkey labels. Hell, Wild Turkey 101 is a damned fine pour too.

Eagle Rare IS a good one. Anything with Weller on the label. Elmer T Lee is rumored to be the same recipe as Blanton's, just different barrels. Good stuff there. I know you like your whiskey bolder so I'd give a big thumbs up to Elijah Craig. Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit are great Wild Turkey labels. Hell, Wild Turkey 101 is a damned fine pour too.

Rare breed kicked our ass one night. Worst headache in a decade. Already an eagle rare on the shelf at the cabin. I will let you know what I find.

Just finished a bottle of Elijah Craig as my golf season burboun companion (carry it in flask on the course). Started the season in april with Eagle Rare, than mid went to Buffalo trace and fiinsihed with Elijah. Liked all 3 though different. Thought the Eagle rare was the smoothest of three with some modest complexity, Buffalo trace was nice for the price point but simple complexity and not as smooth as Eagle last the Elijah was the boldest most flavored and defintely best with a cigar.

I'm thinking you would be an Elijah Craig fan. Seriously. Oh, one other, Larceny.

No Elijah Craig but they did have four rose single barrel so that was an easy decision. Had a high end dickel listed for $42 but the shelf was empty. Several labels I hadn't seen before. One I've seen but never tried is Willet - ever had it?

No Elijah Craig but they did have four rose single barrel so that was an easy decision. Had a high end dickel listed for $42 but the shelf was empty. Several labels I hadn't seen before. One I've seen but never tried is Willet - ever had it?

Willet is decent stuff. I'll admit it isn't a favorite of mine, but I'll also admit that it is likely a personal preference thing. In my opinion it is overpriced for what it is. It is marketed at the premium/super premium level but I would put it more on a playing field with Emer T Lee or maybe Craig. If you can get it in the $30-35/750mL range I'd say you are paying about the right price for it. I usually see it closer to $45 and I think there are better options at the $45 mark, like Blantons or Rare Breed. It is a high rye bourbon so expect a good spicy punch and robust flavors.

Willet does not make their own bourbon. They are one of many bottlers that buy their bourbon from other distillers and sell it under their own label. I did hear that they are in the process of re-opening a distillery to make their own but those casks won't be in the marketplace for at least a few years I imagine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.