Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Flyers at Sabres

4-18-2011

7:00 PM start

“I think the emotion in the building will be incredible,” said Head Coach Lindy Ruff. “I think the atmosphere has always been incredible. It’s our fans, it’s our energy… It’s going to be fun to be in our building.”

Let's Go Buff-a-lo 1minute in!

Let's get it done, boys (and Boyes). it's time for the 9-1-2 at home, haven't-lost-two-in-a-row-in-the-Pegula-era Sabres to show up and grab the edge back in this series.

Goals from Stafford, Pominville, and Connolly would be welcome sights.

Flyers at Sabres

4-18-2011

7:00 PM start

“I think the emotion in the building will be incredible,” said Head Coach Lindy Ruff. “I think the atmosphere has always been incredible. It’s our fans, it’s our energy… It’s going to be fun to be in our building.”

Let's Go Buff-a-lo 1minute in!

PWNED by 2 minutes... LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

Let's get it done, boys (and Boyes). it's time for the 9-1-2 at home, haven't-lost-two-in-a-row-in-the-Pegula-era Sabres to show up and grab the edge back in this series.

Goals from Stafford, Pominville, and Connolly would be welcome sights.

I just want to notice Stafford on the ice, I want Connolly to at least appear that he's trying to win a faceoff, and I want Pominville to stop taking 17 seconds to wind up at the blueline.

Christ almighty, the league has read that one-timer since early 2007, ENOUGH already.

Myers needs to be better, so does Sekera and Miller.

That said, the Flyers definitely don't scare anyone the way they've played in game one and two. Will the Sabres be able to beat them? Hard to say, but Philly's going nowhere this season.

*edit

Holy crap, just noticed connolly's 57,8% on faceoffs and Goose is 42.8%? Are those stat people watching the same games I am? To me, it appeared Timmy lost 2 out of 3 facoffs in game 2?

*edit

Holy crap, just noticed connolly's 57,8% on faceoffs and Goose is 42.8%? Are those stat people watching the same games I am? To me, it appeared Timmy lost 2 out of 3 facoffs in game 2?

He might've. I didn't check the game stats. But Connolly was about 66% on faceoffs in game 1. WTF was that during the regular season?

If you'll recall, we had one of the more putrid power plays during the regular season before the playoffs in '99. It was a real 'power outage'. Then we suddenly discovered.the good karma and started banging in power play goals all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. We've got to do the same while we have Philly in our building -- make them pay dearly for every sin!

Holy crap, just noticed connolly's 57,8% on faceoffs and Goose is 42.8%? Are those stat people watching the same games I am? To me, it appeared Timmy lost 2 out of 3 facoffs in game 2?[/i]

idk where to find the number but there's no way connolly only took 3 faceoffs, especially with all the PK time...

Can Nieds build off his double shifting, incredible Game 2? My uncle continues to insist we brought him in solely for the playoffs and thus far I'd have to agree with that. Would love to see Stafford and Boyes do something tonight as well. Let's Go Buffalo!!

Get one past Boucher early, see if he might unravel a bit, and be smart. No stupid penalties, make sure they can't flop around like fish. Oh, and please give Miller some support so he's not stuck having to pull magic out of his ass all night.

For those going, make sure the damn crowd is revved up. Hockey Heaven.

What we saw Saturday was typical Flyers bull$hit. Ever since the team established themselves as the "Broad Street Bullies", every time they get beaten or outplayed, they pump up the physical play hoping to run the other team out of the arena. Flyer fans expect that. But, the Sabres stood up to them; unfortunately, the refs always call the retaliation. The Sabres got called for a few of those, then their penalty killers got tired and took some bad penalties. Even after all that, it took a lucky bounce of Briere's skate for the Flyers to win. If they didn't know it in Game One, the Flyers now know they have a tiger by the tail. These are not last season's Sabres. They are unwilling to back down, even if it means taking a bad penalty or two. That being said, if the Flyers try the same crap tonight, it would serve Buffalo well to "turn the other cheek" and skate away from skirmishes. Pushing and shoving every time the whistle blows accomplishes nothing of value (for the Sabres - the Flyers have used that dodge for 43 years and it hasn't won anything for them recently).

I think the Sabres should be fine tonight - home crowd, different referees, chip on their shoulder from the last game...they should be firing on all cylinders. Let's GO Buffalo!

Get one past Boucher early, see if he might unravel a bit, and be smart. No stupid penalties, make sure they can't flop around like fish. Oh, and please give Miller some support so he's not stuck having to pull magic out of his ass all night.

For those going, make sure the damn crowd is revved up. Hockey Heaven.

I'm going tonight.

Let start with LGB chant during warmups.

Boo's for the Flyers when they get on the ice.

Clapping every time we clear the puck.

Cheering every hit.

High five your neighbor after every goal.

Let's Go Buff-A-Lo!

- Players that need to step it up...Top 6, Myers, Miller(it doesn't matter how you slice it, 5 goals against is not good).

- Put Gerbe on one of the PP units.

- I wonder if all the Game 2 penalties will cause Lindy to tell them they have to be more careful, which in turn will reduce the amount of physical play?

- What's the latest on Hecht and Leopold?

Not that it is indicative of what will happen in Game 3 or beyond, but Philly outscored Buffalo 4-2 at ES in Game 2. ;)

just think, if buffalo didn't spend all of their time killing stupid penalties, they would've had more time and energy to play a good 5 on 5 game. Philly only scares me when they're on the powerplay.

I just want to notice Stafford on the ice, I want Connolly to at least appear that he's trying to win a faceoff, and I want Pominville to stop taking 17 seconds to wind up at the blueline.Christ almighty, the league has read that one-timer since early 2007, ENOUGH already.Myers needs to be better, so does Sekera and Miller.That said, the Flyers definitely don't scare anyone the way they've played in game one and two. Will the Sabres be able to beat them? Hard to say, but Philly's going nowhere this season.*edit Holy crap, just noticed connolly's 57,8% on faceoffs and Goose is 42.8%? Are those stat people watching the same games I am? To me, it appeared Timmy lost 2 out of 3 facoffs in game 2?

I thought Gaustad was a HELL of a lot better than that on faceoffs...

He is stated as top 5 (last i heard, was #3) in the league for that category; is there a certain amount to be considered for the ranking?

Stay out of the friggin' penalty box!

Tha may help...just a little.

If you'll recall, we had one of the more putrid power plays during the regular season before the playoffs in '99. It was a real 'power outage'. Then we suddenly discovered.the good karma and started banging in power play goals all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. We've got to do the same while we have Philly in our building -- make them pay dearly for every sin!

I wouldnt say every sin, but most of them...we gotta hurt them 5v5 because every team can bounce back from a bad penalty night and kill ya when its ES.

Can Nieds build off his double shifting, incredible Game 2? My uncle continues to insist we brought him in solely for the playoffs and thus far I'd have to agree with that. Would love to see Stafford and Boyes do something tonight as well. Let's Go Buffalo!!

Numbers on the score sheet for Staff and Boyes.

Nieds DEF. brings playoff experience.

I can bet anyone, anything that during the 7 times between periods/games (intermissions and postgame of Game 1 and pre/post for Game 2) and the pregame for game 1 that he has said something that struck a nerve in this team.

I mean, as of late, when the hell did Gaustad wanna fight...I know towards the end of year he started, but in the beginning and season's past I dont remember him like this...probably someone said something to him.

Get one past Boucher early, see if he might unravel a bit, and be smart. No stupid penalties, make sure they can't flop around like fish. Oh, and please give Miller some support so he's not stuck having to pull magic out of his ass all night. For those going, make sure the damn crowd is revved up. Hockey Heaven.

Get bodies to Boucher, he's bound to mess up.

Look at Game 1, what happened to Bob? Got bodies to the net and EVENTUALLY he couldnt make the save and Kaleta puts it home.

As for the crowd, lets make noise like the Ranger crowd did...I heard on NBC that there were "Lets Go Rangers" chants 15min before puck drop.

What we saw Saturday was typical Flyers bull$hit. Ever since the team established themselves as the "Broad Street Bullies", every time they get beaten or outplayed, they pump up the physical play hoping to run the other team out of the arena. Flyer fans expect that. But, the Sabres stood up to them; unfortunately, the refs always call the retaliation. The Sabres got called for a few of those, then their penalty killers got tired and took some bad penalties. Even after all that, it took a lucky bounce of Briere's skate for the Flyers to win. If they didn't know it in Game One, the Flyers now know they have a tiger by the tail. These are not last season's Sabres. They are unwilling to back down, even if it means taking a bad penalty or two. That being said, if the Flyers try the same crap tonight, it would serve Buffalo well to "turn the other cheek" and skate away from skirmishes. Pushing and shoving every time the whistle blows accomplishes nothing of value (for the Sabres - the Flyers have used that dodge for 43 years and it hasn't won anything for them recently). I think the Sabres should be fine tonight - home crowd, different referees, chip on their shoulder from the last game...they should be firing on all cylinders. Let's GO Buffalo!

That is exactly my thoughts as well.

The Flyers (hopefully) get the raw end of the calls these next two games.

Not that I want there to be cheap calls...but hey, if it helps, it helps.

The Sabres need strong performances from the following guys if they are going to win tonight:

Miller

Pommer

Stafford

Myers

Frankly, if Pommer and Stafford are invisible again tonight, I will be very close to demanding that at least one of them be gone this summer.

I'm really worried about this game.

Archived