GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

The only reason they'd need to send anyone back down is if Mancari or Gragnani are on emergency recalls currently. I know Mancari was brought up as an 'emergency' but don't know if his status has changed since then.

If they are on emergency recall, Gragnani can stay up until Leopold is healthy and Mancari MIGHT have to go back down (or get officially recalled) w/ a healthy Kaleta but w/ Grier and Hecht out, I expect Mancari can stay up as well.

AFAIK, Enroth is the only recall counting against the 4 to date (and he ain't goin' nowhere).

Gragnani's not on emergency recall. He was originally because Leopold got hurt and Myers was having some issues. They can only use an emergency recall when they're down to 5 healthy d-men. Since Morrisonn is still here and healthy, a normal recall was burned up on Grags. He's here to stay.

With the forwards, it's the same thing, once they have 13 healthy forwards, the emergency guy has to be returned to Portland or they use up another recall (they've used 2 so far, Enroth and Grags). Ellis is up on an emergency basis too, so I'd imagine he'd go before Mancari.

edit: Mancari has technically been recalled twice on an emergency basis. He's still under that status now.

Gragnani's not on emergency recall. He was originally because Leopold got hurt and Myers was having some issues. They can only use an emergency recall when they're down to 5 healthy d-men. Since Morrisonn is still here and healthy, a normal recall was burned up on Grags. He's here to stay.

With the forwards, it's the same thing, once they have 13 healthy forwards, the emergency guy has to be returned to Portland or they use up another recall (they've used 2 so far, Enroth and Grags). Ellis is up on an emergency basis too, so I'd imagine he'd go before Mancari.

edit: Mancari has technically been recalled twice on an emergency basis. He's still under that status now.

How the heck did I forget about Ellis? :doh:

And thanks for the info on M-A.

Which UFAs are you referring to? Here is the list of upcoming UFA defensemen. None of them is in the elite category, other than Lidstrom, who isn't going anywhere. Erhoff is a very good player, but not on par with the others I mentioned. Markov is good but I wouldn't want to give him a big contract given his injury history.However, I agree with you that I'd be quite happy to sign Ehrhoff as a UFA and then trade one of the Sabres' good wingers in a package for a #1 center. The others on the UFA defense list don't really excite me though.

First I think Ehrhoff is better than weber and close to doughty. Second We have a bunch of top def in the making and there are players like markov, pitkanen, ehrhoff out there that could definately help this team. There are also guys like wisniewski and kaberle who may also fit the role of more seasoned guy with good skills. The UFA def pool is not as week as you make it sound IMO.

I'm looking at Roy being out as being to similar to when Devlin & Smerlas left the Bills. Those 2 had been THE leaders in the room and simply due to who they were, what they'd done, and how long they'd been there seemed to keep the team from becoming Kelly's and Bruce's and Talley's and ... Roy, from a production standpoint (he was a ppg player on a team which now after a nearly full season only has 1 player above 60 points) was leading the team, but guys like Vanek weren't leading the team; quite likely out of deference to Roy. When Roy went out, it gave some other guys the chance to step up. And guys like Vanek & Stafford rose to the occassion. The D has been gelling since then as well.Hopefully the dynamics in the room won't be such that Roy NEEDS to 'take the team back.' If he can live w/ it now being Vanek's (or somebody other than Roy's) team, then he could be a real good fit as the #2/3 center & occassional top line wing and I want him back in b&g. If he can't, I want to see him gone in a package for a top center or top D-man. He's a skilled player at a reasonable contract; I expect he'd have a lot of value on the trade market.The past couple of months is the 1st time this team has exhibited any chemistry since that fateful day in July. The chemistry is key to moving forward next year, IMHO.

We are not will not and can not trade Roy for anything other than a top center. You are not trading roy for a defensmen when we have young good def coming out of our ears. We need centers like astronauts need air. We wont survive if we ship off roy for a def. I honestly do not think that his leaving made this team somehow better. I think that it was working towards that and his leaving gave them a final kick in the pants. I am fine with trading roy but unless I am getting a Stamkos type guy in return, I am over it.

He's easily forgotten.

:w00t:

We are not will not and can not trade Roy for anything other than a top center. You are not trading roy for a defensmen when we have young good def coming out of our ears. We need centers like astronauts need air. We wont survive if we ship off roy for a def. I honestly do not think that his leaving made this team somehow better. I think that it was working towards that and his leaving gave them a final kick in the pants. I am fine with trading roy but unless I am getting a Stamkos type guy in return, I am over it.

If Roy doesn't adversely affect team chemistry, I would prefer to not see him traded. He adds depth at center and if they somehow did bring in a scoring center or 2 he could also be depth at wing.

IF he does hurt the team chemistry, then I am fine w/ using him as part of a package to improve the D. They can use some of the depth on D as part of a package to bring in that top flight center they need, if they haven't already addressed that need by the time it is apparent that Roy is a problem.

Either way, if the team is BETTER by including him in a trade, I am fine w/ it regardless of what comes back. IF the players on the team lose their drive by having him be their leader then I am willing to see less come back for him. Until it is demonstrated that they are worse off with him, I will assume that adding his skills to the lineup will make it better. I'd like to believe that the advances we've seen from several players since he's been out won't be temporary.

And I do believe that it took him being out of the lineup to get some to play better. Whether that was because others naturally deferred to him or whether he imposed the deference is immaterial at this point.

First I think Ehrhoff is better than weber and close to doughty. Second We have a bunch of top def in the making and there are players like markov, pitkanen, ehrhoff out there that could definately help this team. There are also guys like wisniewski and kaberle who may also fit the role of more seasoned guy with good skills. The UFA def pool is not as week as you make it sound IMO.

I think the bolded statement above is insane. Erhoff is good, Weber & Doughty are elite.

Isn't that what you want from a 4th line center, though? If you haven't noticed him, then he hasn't burned us.

I didn't notice him much last night because it seemed like he was getting skipped over for a lot of shifts. I'd say we're far more often to throw that 4th line out there for regular shifts when it's Nieds-McCormack-Grier.

Isn't that what you want from a 4th line center, though? If you haven't noticed him, then he hasn't burned us.

I didn't notice him much last night because it seemed like he was getting skipped over for a lot of shifts. I'd say we're far more often to throw that 4th line out there for regular shifts when it's Nieds-McCormack-Grier.

He was mostly with Nieds and Cody last night. I did notice him. Getting beaten to the puck, losing control of it, not being his usual grinder in the corner, and skating as fast as a 40 year old on the backcheck. I liked him last year, this year...meh, not so much.

True. When Tampa did have sustained pressure in our zone, though, I don't remember it being because Ellis' line was out there. But I guess Lindy had to shorten the bench when Tampa was forced to shorten theirs.

He was mostly with Nieds and Cody last night. I did notice him. Getting beaten to the puck, losing control of it, not being his usual grinder in the corner, and skating as fast as a 40 year old on the backcheck. I liked him last year, this year...meh, not so much.

spot on.

If Roy doesn't adversely affect team chemistry, I would prefer to not see him traded. He adds depth at center and if they somehow did bring in a scoring center or 2 he could also be depth at wing.

IF he does hurt the team chemistry, then I am fine w/ using him as part of a package to improve the D. They can use some of the depth on D as part of a package to bring in that top flight center they need, if they haven't already addressed that need by the time it is apparent that Roy is a problem.

Either way, if the team is BETTER by including him in a trade, I am fine w/ it regardless of what comes back. IF the players on the team lose their drive by having him be their leader then I am willing to see less come back for him. Until it is demonstrated that they are worse off with him, I will assume that adding his skills to the lineup will make it better. I'd like to believe that the advances we've seen from several players since he's been out won't be temporary.

And I do believe that it took him being out of the lineup to get some to play better. Whether that was because others naturally deferred to him or whether he imposed the deference is immaterial at this point.

Nice post on Roy. Spot on.

Although I don't think after his absence the players on the team will be looking at him for leadership. I think others have established themselves as the leaders - like Vanek, and probably even Stafford (I can't believe I just typed that, but I think there's something there).

I think the team is wiser now on who can provide the right kind of leadership.

Not Mike Weber -- Shea Weber.

I agree that there are other good defensemen out there. My point was simply that I would only trade Roy for an elite defenseman (or an elite forward).

I think the bolded statement above is insane. Erhoff is good, Weber & Doughty are elite.

Correct.

Interesting. I haven't seen enough Ehrhoff to think he's better than Doughtery or Weber, but I think it is hard not for a puck mover to look like a stud on Vancouvers roster. They are loaded.

fwiw, boyes at times looked uncomfortable and at other times gassed at center -- there were several shifts where he called for gaustad well before stafford or ennis were looking for a change.

That's an interesting observation. I hadn't considered how the general conditioning of the players varies from team to team until now. Roby made a comment on the post game about how well conditioned the Sabres appear, so maybe you're on to something.

In Boyes defense, he is skating with probably the two best conditioned players on the team. Stafford is clearly in amazing shape this year after some hard work in the off season and Ennis just never seems to get tired, so anybody would look bad next to those two.

In Boyes defense, he is skating with probably the two best conditioned players on the team. Stafford is clearly in amazing shape this year after some hard work in the off season and Ennis just never seems to get tired, so anybody would look bad next to those two.

this is a good point.

Archived