I'm sold on Stafford!

LabattBlue

Stafford's play has been really impressive and I am sold on the fact that he should remain a Sabre. A few things...

- Being put on the PK speaks wonders for his attitude and effort this season.

- He is constantly attempting to drive to the net around the defense, and on most occasions cannot be stopped.

- He is very hard to knock off his skates. Next time around, take notice. Most forwards get knocked to the ice several times a game, but Stafford is very strong in this regard.

- 30 goals...enough said.

- Two concerns...injury history and contract year.

4 years 15 mil?

Stafford's play has been really impressive and I am sold on the fact that he should remain a Sabre. A few things...

- He is constantly attempting to drive to the net around the defense, and on most occasions cannot be stopped.

- He is very hard to knock off his skates. Next time around, take notice. Most forwards get knocked to the ice several times a game, but Stafford is very strong in this regard.

4 years 15 mil?

I'm with you but think it will take more money. With the cap again going up they should have little trouble signing him.

4 years 15 mil?

While it typically takes power forwards a few years to develop into their role, I really was starting to think that Stafford was just too damn nice to ever figure out how to grow into that role. It looks like I gave up on him 1 year too early. Fortunately the Sabres didn't make the same mistake.

Your guess on the contract probably isn't too far off. I'd guess 4/16.

While it typically takes power forwards a few years to develop into their role, I really was starting to think that Stafford was just too damn nice to ever figure out how to grow into that role. It looks like I gave up on him 1 year too early. Fortunately the Sabres didn't make the same mistake.

Your guess on the contract probably isn't too far off. I'd guess 4/16.

I think he'll trade in a year of RFA status for something like that. I think a little over 4 myself.

What intrigued me coming into this season was being good buddies with Kyle Okposo, and a summer of strenuous workouts with Okposo and New Jersey's Zach Parise. The off season training with his abilities really seemed to bring his game around.

Well that, maybe a contract year and what looks like a decision to play hockey vs. guitar for a living.

Yes sign him please and let's not forget a home team discount.

4 years 15 mil?

In the little Sabres hockey I have seen this year, whenever I've seen Stafford play and he wasn't coming off an injury, I have been very impressed with the rest of his game - his movement when he doesn't have the puck, where he goes on the ice to help contribute when he isn't getting scoring chances, things like that.

Count me in the club, too. I was down on him not too long ago, but in this past stretch he has done a lot to turn me. That hit tonight was great, and his work down low was good. He has been putting in the effort and he seems to give a damn these days.

I have no idea what a contract for him might look like, but I'm ready to go back to the cap on contract-lengths. The Sabres have been burned by lengthy, over-priced contracts for a little bit now. Not that anyone in the league like Stafford is going to accept a short-term contract, though.

4 years 15 mil?

Good post. I agree with everything here. The biggest surprises in his game to me have been him taking the body and killing penalties.

Still, I'm not ready to commit to a 4-year deal for him. I need to see him in the playoffs.

How about Stafford filling in on the PK with Hecht and Grier out?

He was terrific.

I guess Hecht has been out for a while now, but I think Stafford was killing penalties when Grier was still in the lineup. I think he's pretty far up the list at forward on the PK -- maybe 3rd pairing?

while i admit it was frustrating waiting on him to turn the corner, i personally hadnt given up on him. you never know which way a guy in that position will go but just like everybody else i was hoping he would become the guy we all envisioned. i guess the wait makes it more satisfying cuz it is fun to see

id like to see him work on being a better passer too. then again, he might just not have it in him. most good players are closer to 2:1 assists to goals but hes right near 1:1 for his career. i mean im grateful if all he does is remain a finisher but when the ratio is that out of whack it just seems logical theres some things you should be able to fix to set up a few more goals

its been a long time since i played in crappy adult leagues but when i played forward i was usually around to 3:1 assists to goals, due to being both a good passer and weak finisher. many of those i got around the net when i didnt actually see a teammate i would simply look for open ice in front and try to put an easy to hit pass and hope somebody swooped into the space. after a while my teammates knew this and would look for those passes

that probably doesnt translate to the nhl but i have noticed that stafford often tries to make the perfect pass instead of just a pass. its almost like when he was trying to score on perfect shots instead of just lowering his shoulder and trying to get the puck to the heart of the net - once he started doing that he put in more goals

can you imagine how effective he would be if he had even normal assist totals. cha ching

Stafford's play this year shows me that he must have been injured at various points the last few years. Usually players go into a slump when they have undisclosed/nagging injuries. This is the real stafford, the one we've all been waiting for.

Stafford's play this year shows me that he must have been injured at various points the last few years. Usually players go into a slump when they have undisclosed/nagging injuries. This is the real stafford, the one we've all been waiting for.

While he recently went on a Stafford-esque streak of 2 goals in 16 games, I don't think it was a typical Stafford drought. In the past he would disappear for a month, but during his recent drought his play hasn't diminished. He's contributed all over the ice and in this case I don't think stats are a good representation of how well he's played of late.

there's really nothing to do but sign the guy for FMV -- he's answered his critics and shown that he can be a great forward in the league. all we can do is hope and pray that he doesn't fade into bolivia once he gets his guaranteed kigash.

I think as a general rule we should never re-sign anyone who is in a contract year. :rolleyes:

nice.

I think a little over 4 myself.

i think so, too.

thankfully, i don't think we're in 5x5 territory. :bag:

how'd you like him puttin the shoulder to Skinner in the corner ... BTW, Skinner is a whiner ...

that was a nice bit of hockey right there. i hadn't noticed that about skinner (not yet, anyway) -- he is quite a talent, though.

I've liked some of his play lately - but I'm still not in the 'sign him' camp. I like him camping in front of the net, the PK. That was a nice hit yesterday but we need to see more physical play. Still needs to cut back on some of the stupid plays like trying to skate the puck into the zone when 2 or 3 guys are on you - guess he hangs out with Connolly too much.

I've liked some of his play lately - but I'm still not in the 'sign him' camp. I like him camping in front of the net, the PK. That was a nice hit yesterday but we need to see more physical play. Still needs to cut back on some of the stupid plays like trying to skate the puck into the zone when 2 or 3 guys are on you - guess he hangs out with Connolly too much.

You can argue that if you want but usually when he does it, he drives to the net and gets the puck on the goalie. Connolly is hoping that someone is following him so he can pass it as soon as he sees a similar colored jersey.

You can argue that if you want but usually when he does it, he drives to the net and gets the puck on the goalie. Connolly is hoping that someone is following him so he can pass it as soon as he sees a similar colored jersey.

I usually see the play going in the other direction.

Did you catch Connolly in the Canes game skating to the blue line and stopping? What's up with that?

I usually see the play going in the other direction.

Did you catch Connolly in the Canes game skating to the blue line and stopping? What's up with that?

Yea I did. That appears to be his trademark move. I was referring to Stafford driving to the net, not Connolly. I don't know if you misunderstood my reply or not. I was just saying when Stafford does take on 3 guys alone he at least tries to drive to the net and get a puck on goal. Connolly does his spin move or goes clear around the net and gives the puck away.

4 years 15 mil?

Ya, lock him up

And i'm now in love with Vanek and in like with Connoly :blush:

Archived