The Chara incident

X. Benedict

I was waiting for this...I hate it when law enforcement is brought into these discussions because it shouldn't be. This happened on the ice in the course of a game. I honestly don't believe the police should be charging anyone with assault or anything like that when it happens on the ice or the field of play in any sport. If Chara had went after Pacioretty as he was walking out of the arena to his car and injured him like that, THEN you bring in the cops.

Chara should be suspended because he's responsible for knowing where he is on the ice and what potential damage he could do to another player because of his size.

That should be enough right there...

Pretty shocking he didn't get anything.

Let's see what kind of BS he pulls against us on Thursday.

He can pretty much do anything he wants and it would never be appropriate to suspend him. After all, he has no history of suspensions. [/NHL]

The video is 200x more telling.

Picture?

I've been trying to stay away from every post showing the picture, but your post is a great example of how useless it is to look at a single frame. I bet we could pull out a single frame from a news broadcast right as Don Postles blinks and use it to claim that he's sleeping through a broadcast.

I was waiting for this...I hate it when law enforcement is brought into these discussions because it shouldn't be. This happened on the ice in the course of a game. I honestly don't believe the police should be charging anyone with assault or anything like that when it happens on the ice or the field of play in any sport. If Chara had went after Pacioretty as he was walking out of the arena to his car and injured him like that, THEN you bring in the cops.

Chara should be suspended because he's responsible for knowing where he is on the ice and what potential damage he could do to another player because of his size.

O am I not saying at all that Chara should be arrested I am suggesting the principle of if you do something illegal and someone gets hurt you should be held responsible, Chara's hit was late and the guy got hurt so he should be held responsible, he should not be jailed thats crazy so we def agree there.

He can pretty much do anything he wants and it would never be appropriate to suspend him. After all, he has no history of suspensions. [/NHL]

Yeah, the logic is mind-numbing. No one has a history of suspensions until they are suspended the first time...

It is my understanding that Colin Campbell couldn't preside over this suspension case since his son plays for the Bruins, no?

I've been trying to stay away from every post showing the picture, but your post is a great example of how useless it is to look at a single frame. I bet we could pull out a single frame from a news broadcast right as Don Postles blinks and use it to claim that he's sleeping through a broadcast.

You could photoshop a picture of a rabid dog around the guy's neck, and it would look like Chara is trying to pull him away from it.

I think the Gilles hit was much worse. You have a career thug that was suspended after getting called up, then takes a run at a guy from across the ice who had just made a questionable hit on an Islander 3 seconds prior, and drives his head into the glass with his elbow.

If Chara did this seconds after something like that and not in the course of a hockey play where he is about to get beat....then I say suspend him.

Again, Tyler Myers does this and everyone is.."Sweety would never do anything bad. It was an accident."

Where was the rest of the team to beat his ass? I know he's 8'10" but when you're up 4-0 you take the risk of game misconducts or suspensions to gang up on him if there's nobody with the gonads to take him one on one. IMO the rules have become so strict that the fact the players can't police themselves like they used to has led to more blatant shots. Chara isn't that tough, we've all seen him cower away from anybody willing to take him on, his teammates always step in to take the heat. Once he has one of his own players in between them THAT is when he starts with his taunts. Chara got away with it EVERY single game in the playoffs last year. Montreal should have ganged up on him. At some point you have to draw the line....... whether or not the NHL didn't find it dirty, he needs to be dealt with.

Statement from Mike Murphy.

"I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Are you effin kidding me??? You have to start somewhere jackass, there has to be a first incident sometime. NHL brain trust is brain dead. I'm disgusted.

The NHL's logic is predictably perverse.

Hey, Chara's record is STILL clean. So he won't get suspended next time either.

In real time, it just looked like a hockey play to me. The puck wasn't gone so long that he couldn't have hit him. I'm actually surprised there was a penalty and there probably shouldn't be a suspension.

I haven't had a chance to see it over and over, but I agree...the result was horrible, I give you, but I am not sure the intent was there...I feel like I have seen worse hits than this...albeit not the same result. I hate Chara as much as anyone, but I don't think he is a "dirty" player in the Avery or Bertuzzi class...I think Chara should get suspended, but it seems like we see potentialy dangerous hits like this almost every other game...I think the hit that one of the Penguins put on our guy last night (was it Ennis) where he went into the stantion, last night, looked worse...

Yeah, the logic is mind-numbing. No one has a history of suspensions until they are suspended the first time...

It is my understanding that Colin Campbell couldn't preside over this suspension case since his son plays for the Bruins, no?

Correct on Campbell.

Chara probably wanted to send him into the bench, and he ran out of bench. There is no way he was aiming to press his head into that partition. It happened so fast...he was going for a big hit. You would have to be evil to do that to a guy.

Just as dangerous a play when Kaleta turtles in a fight and tries to slam the other guy to the ice on the way down. Some day the back of the head will connect and someone will be dead. To me that shows more intent than Chara.

I don't buy that he didn't know he was going to run out of bench. He is among the absolute elite of players and as such has an elite level of situational and positional awareness. No doubt in my mind that he was aware of where he was in relation to that end post. He was using it to finish his check.

As for Kaleta, yeah slamming someone down on the ice like he has done in the past is dirty. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed it and thought the same way. I'd don't know that it shows anymore intent than Chara's play but then again, we are coming from different sides of Chara's intent so I can accept where you see a difference.

This lack of respect for human well-being is absolutely disgusting. If that had been Crosby getting his neck broken they would have strung Chara up by his boots in the middle of town. But Pacioretty gets nothing done for him.

I'm sickened.

March 24 MTL/BOS in Boston. Maybe Versus will pick the game up. I don't see anyone trying to fight Chara though.

Not unless they want to call up Jimmy Bonneau or Alex Henry from Hamilton. Henry is 6'6", 232lbs but Bonneau is the tougher of the two guys.

Here's the thing: if Chara really didn't mean to do it, how come his reaction was to skate away and continue talking smack to the other Habs players rather than concern for Pacioretty ala MacArthur's unintentional boarding of Reddox?

Archived