The Chara incident

X. Benedict

Don't f*ck with Quebec man. They hate everyone enough to follow through on this. I like it.

I just don't see how anyone can argue that Chara wasn't basically trying to kill him. Most players would have let that check go, A. because Pacioretty wasn't stationary, and B. because it didn't need to happen. Riding him into the end of the boards was deliberate and intended to severely injure. There is absolutely no other way to look at it, and anyone who disagrees is wrong. I won't even debate this subject. If you're defending Chara, you're absolutely, 100%, wrong.

That's great, just more proof of how serious this hit was. Too bad so many still see it as "just hockey". That hit is "just hockey" on the opposite side of the rink. But to think players of Chara's stature don't know where they are on the ice is ludicrous. I hope this is finally the wake up call the NHL needs. But with Buffalo's luck, one of the Sabres will be the one to be made an example of tonight for a borderline hit. You know all the NHL brass will be in attendance tonight to try and diffuse this situation.

I do, and Im not saying that Gaustad didnt instigate, but the fact that he didnt "challenge" him and just tried to punish him in the face.

Im also not disagreeing that Paul should have been suspended, if its in the rules, then follow the rules and suspend him, but make it consistent with all offenders. You could also technically say that Chara was an instigator as well because he turns and tries to drop Gaustad, thus causing the big pileup. Either way, someone should have been suspended in that situation.

That's a staple of Chara's game right there. If anyone even touches him, he immediately throws a shot at their face. Watch him in any scrum. He'll almost always be the first one to act and it's always towards the face.

Don't f*ck with Quebec man. They hate everyone enough to follow through on this. I like it.

I just don't see how anyone can argue that Chara wasn't basically trying to kill him. Most players would have let that check go, A. because Pacioretty wasn't stationary, and B. because it didn't need to happen. Riding him into the end of the boards was deliberate and intended to severely injure. There is absolutely no other way to look at it, and anyone who disagrees is wrong. I won't even debate this subject. If you're defending Chara, you're absolutely, 100%, wrong.

You and me are 1000% in agreement on this. Some people are just way too blind when watching this hit in replay. Intent was there and it was extremely obvious. Chara should be charred!!!

That's a staple of Chara's game right there. If anyone even touches him, he immediately throws a shot at their face. Watch him in any scrum. He'll almost always be the first one to act and it's always towards the face.

I agree.

Im not going to say that Chara is dumb, or anything like that, but Im sure he can avoid a face shot despite him being so tall.

He needs to change some little parts of his game...like how and where he drills someone

Also to note, the turnbuckle/stanchion was COMPLETELY in Chara's field of vision throughout the entire hit. I mean he's looking at it before he even makes contact. I'll give him that it was probably a temporary complete mental break, but his brain instructed his body to force Max's head into that position.

Also to note, the turnbuckle/stanchion was COMPLETELY in Chara's field of vision throughout the entire hit. I mean he's looking at it before he even makes contact. I'll give him that it was probably a temporary complete mental break, but his brain instructed his body to force Max's head into that position.

I noticed what when I was watching it again today.

he almost looks at it to make sure its there!!

"It's just one of those things…like glass extensions, doors, even hockey nets are part of the game and obviously players run into them."

- Zdeno Chara

Players dont RUN into the net on purpose, they dont RUN into the boards on purpose; there has to be an outside force making the player hit said object.

After seeing the hit, yet again on NHL On The Fly, he def. looks like he drove him into it and just skated off.

Im sure when we were all in elementary school we tapped someone on the shoulder and kept walking, making them look around and nobody is there.

I know that doesnt compare to the injury factor, but the fact that intent to make someone look funny or stupid, by looking around can compare to Chara wanting to drill Pac into the board...

As much as I think the hit on max was revolting, disgusting and wrong, I think this police intervention is silly and stupid. Every player goes on the ice every night knowing they could get injured. It is a full contact, dangerous sport. I say the league should let the players police themselves, if the habs were allowed to protect their own the other night chara would have thought twice about going after max in the first place.

Air Canada gets into the mix

Hit 'em where it hurts, the pocketbook.

The fact that it is a Canadian company that is making this statement should serve as a wake-up call to the NHL that their policies on head shots and supplemental discipline are seriously lacking. You would have thought that having their marquee player out for nearly half a season (so far) would have accomplished this, but if it takes monetary action on the part of sponsors to force the issue, so be it. The NHL is not the NFL - they do not have the financial clout nor the populist traction to stand fast on an issue like this. The league would have served itself better (not to mention victims like Crosby and Pacioretty) had it begun to police itself some time ago. Now, you have major sponsors threatening to pull out. (I'm imagining Toronto making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade, and the opening game happening as workers take down the "Air Canada" signage on the arena).

As for Chara, no one will ever be able to know what was in his head. Certainly, the check on Pacioretty was intentional (i.e. not an accident). Did he have a clear intent to injure? Who knows? But his actions did result in an injury. Appropriate action needed to be taken, but the NHL once again decided to err on the side of the Canadian hockey pundit, not the injured player. I pray for Max and his family and also that this will be the last time an argument like this has to occur.

Its not surprising being that its coming from a prosecutor in quebec. Everytime someone on the ice punches another player in the face its assault. Everytime someone drives someone into the boards its potentially assault. Hack at someones ankle its assault. Simply verbally threaten someone its assault. Get over it Montreal.

As much as I think the hit on max was revolting, disgusting and wrong, I think this police intervention is silly and stupid. Every player goes on the ice every night knowing they could get injured. It is a full contact, dangerous sport. I say the league should let the players police themselves, if the habs were allowed to protect their own the other night chara would have thought twice about going after max in the first place.

I agree, an intervention isnt actually the smartest thing, I mean what can they do?

If they arrest Chara, then the NHL looks like pushovers for letting an outside source take control.

The fact that it is a Canadian company that is making this statement should serve as a wake-up call to the NHL that their policies on head shots and supplemental discipline are seriously lacking. You would have thought that having their marquee player out for nearly half a season (so far) would have accomplished this, but if it takes monetary action on the part of sponsors to force the issue, so be it. The NHL is not the NFL - they do not have the financial clout nor the populist traction to stand fast on an issue like this. The league would have served itself better (not to mention victims like Crosby and Pacioretty) had it begun to police itself some time ago. Now, you have major sponsors threatening to pull out. (I'm imagining Toronto making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade, and the opening game happening as workers take down the "Air Canada" signage on the arena).

As for Chara, no one will ever be able to know what was in his head. Certainly, the check on Pacioretty was intentional (i.e. not an accident). Did he have a clear intent to injure? Who knows? But his actions did result in an injury. Appropriate action needed to be taken, but the NHL once again decided to err on the site of the Canadian hockey pundit, not the injured player. I pray for Max and his family and also that this will be the last time an argument like this has to occur.

I wouldnt say its an argument, more the less a discussion.

As for something like this to not happen again and a discussion, I think it (a discussion) will happen. As for it being a hard, dirty hit that is being talked about, I do not hope that it is something like that; but I hope that consequences are handed down next time.

My thoughts?

I think if this goes ahead, Malkin should take Myers to civil court for physical damage and lost future earnings as a direct result of a careless hit when Malkin was clearly in a vulnerable position and Myers took advantage of it.

Be careful what you wish for, kiddies.

As for Chara, no one will ever be able to know what was in his head. Certainly, the check on Pacioretty was intentional (i.e. not an accident). Did he have a clear intent to injure? Who knows? But his actions did result in an injury. Appropriate action needed to be taken, but the NHL once again decided to err on the site of the Canadian hockey pundit, not the injured player. I pray for Max and his family and also that this will be the last time an argument like this has to occur.

That's about it. The NHL would rather turn off a hundred North American sports fans than lose one drunk hoser in Northern Ontario.

What was stopping the Habs from doing something?

The game was 4-0.

What was stopping the Habs from doing something?

The game was 4-0.

Most players and teams as a whole are timid Of sticking up for themselves like the islanders did because of consequences from the league. Example, when the isles went nuts on the pens last month and one of their goons went after the pens goalie, a penguin jumped off the bench to intervene and protect his goalie, and subsequentially earned a 10 game suspension. The league should let the players defend themselves and each other.

My thoughts?

I think if this goes ahead, Malkin should take Myers to civil court for physical damage and lost future earnings as a direct result of a careless hit when Malkin was clearly in a vulnerable position and Myers took advantage of it.

Be careful what you wish for, kiddies.

I agree.

Despite being a homer and hoping this doesnt happen, but if it does go through...expect a chain reaction throughout the WHOLE league and setting a NEW standard when something like this and similar happens.

That's about it. The NHL would rather turn off a hundred North American sports fans than lose one drunk hoser in Northern Ontario.

I've come to the conclusion that there is a subset of hockey fans that revels in violence. Watching someone get hurt or, even better, experiencing the excitement of seeing a human being wheeled off the ice on a stretcher is part of why they buy tickets.

But they would never admit this. So instead of saying they don't want extreme violence (like what happened to Max Pacioretty) taken out of the game, they just say they don't want "hitting" taken out of the game. Or they just say that it's a "violent sport" where "guys sometimes get hurt" and that you can't really judge anyone because these plays happen so fast.

The reality is that they just like this stuff. It's a big deal and not something you see in everyday life.

When I was at the World Juniors two months ago, Zack Kassian knocked a Czech player out of the game with a hit. The hit itself looked legal, but I was surrounded by Canadian fans who were actually mocking the Czech kid while he was being wheeled off the ice on a stretcher. They weren't celebrating a legal open-ice hit; they were celebrating a head/neck injury....to a teenager.

It's hard to stay in love with hockey when this is the culture it's built around.

I've come to the conclusion that there is a subset of hockey fans that revels in violence. Watching someone get hurt or, even better, experiencing the excitement of seeing a human being wheeled off the ice on a stretcher is part of why they buy tickets.

But they would never admit this. So instead of saying they don't want extreme violence (like what happened to Max Pacioretty) taken out of the game, they just say they don't want "hitting" taken out of the game. Or they just say that it's a "violent sport" where "guys sometimes get hurt" and that you can't really judge anyone because these plays happen so fast.

The reality is that they just like this stuff. It's a big deal and not something you see in everyday life.

When I was at the World Juniors two months ago, Zack Kassian knocked a Czech player out of the game with a hit. The hit itself looked legal, but I was surrounded by Canadian fans who were actually mocking the Czech kid while he was being wheeled off the ice on a stretcher. They weren't celebrating a legal open-ice hit; they were celebrating a head/neck injury....to a teenager.

It's hard to stay in love with hockey when this is the culture it's built around.

+1 :thumbsup:

Archived