The Chara incident

X. Benedict

So he didn't think ramming a man head first into a solid wall would hurt him? <_<

I thought he was simply squeezing him out and then came the divider. I really don't think he actually had time to contemplate everything. I still think he is a jerk, but it is a violent game and as long as these guys crush each other these things will happen. Did you see the hit on...Brad Stewart ?? of the Wings where he got his jaw broken? Now that was cheap and should have gotten more attention. I think that's his name

I thought he was simply squeezing him out and then came the divider. I really don't think he actually had time to contemplate everything.

What was there to contemplate? Everyone knows where the stanchions are. And he clearly went out of his way to drive Pacioretty into it. He was trying to hurt him; that's the only reason you would do something like that.

Well, after a challenge like that I think I HAVE to respond. :D

#1. Legal hit because Doughty had the puck when the check was initiated.

#2. It looked to me like Umberger was trying to check Doughty into the bench, not ride him into the stantion.

#3 I don't hide from the bias I may or may not hold towards all things Boston. I don't have the emotional budget to get worked up over something a Columbus player does. :P

Either way, its a very dangerous play given the proximity to the stantion. After what happened to Pach you'd think players would be more aware of the risk of throwing a check at the end of the bench, at least short term.

The big difference to me is that it looked like Umb was trying to put Doughty into the bench whereas Chara looked to be riding Pach into the stantion. AND the Umb hit was a legal hit, not a late hit.

I might go so far as to say that Umberger may have even tried to stop him from hitting the stanchion there. At the end of the hit he's actually between Doughty and the stanchion pushing him back towards center ice.

i don't know who suggested the 45-degree angle, but don cherry just brought it up on HNiC. you didn't happen to write grapes and make the suggestion, did you?

I get the feeling that it would be next to impossible to have a sturdy pain of glass there if they did that. The partition would have to go down pretty deeply into the boards in order to hold that glass in place. They'd also have to start that diagonal slant earlier in the bench so that the crowd was still covered. At that point, with the partition extending into the boards it probably interferes with the bench door. It's a decent idea, but I think there would be a lot of obstacles in the way of making it happen.

Archived