The Chara incident

X. Benedict

C4 (cervical vertebra): The fourth cervical (neck) vertebra from the top. Injuries above the C-4 level may require a ventilator for the person to breathe properly.

I was going to mention this earlier on, but in the 7 min video it looks as if one of the trainers was opening some sort of ventilation bag at one point and it also looked like they were checking for a pulse. I'm no doctor so I'm probably way off, but it definitely didn't look good. Frightening scene for sure.

Got it. You believe that ramming his head into the stanchion at full hockey speed during the act of committing an interference penalty was a perfectly valid hockey play. Noted. :)

On another note, I really feed bad for Pacioretty. I like the physical play and fighting as much as anyone, but you never want to see someone seriously injured, especially a kid this young (22). Hopefully he can recover from this and play again.

I'm saying that all this talk about suspending him for the season is a waste. This is not a premeditated act of violence. It was a severe injury that occured at the end of a normal hockey occurance, which took a horrible turn because of the physical mismatch between the two players.

Again, Uwe Krupp hooked the St Louis player who ended up cutting the throat of Malarchuk. Should Krupp have been suspended for his careless play and life threatening results?

Chara's play was dangerous and even dirty. But if it were Tyler Myers who did it....we'd be throwing teddy bears.

After reviewing the game footage of the incident and reading the opinions on the matter here from both sides of the aisle on the issue it very well could be viewed both ways.

The deciding factor for me was the still frame photo that a couple of individuals put up, when I view that photo in context with the actual video, I have come to the conclusion that yes, indeed, he should be suspended for the remainder of this season.

I don't take that lightly given the circumstances such as the speed of the game, but it was plain for all to see the puck had long gone as Chara continued to ride him along the bench area. I am in agreeance with many on here that the NHL needs to enforce strict interference rules, because that was plainly interference, even if it had happened on the solid board side of the ice.

The over whelming evidence to bring me to the conclusion for a remainder of the season suspension was Chara's hand pushing his head continuously in the direction of the corner stantion of the glass there. That was enough for me, that and the seriousness of the injury. A message needs to be sent out to the players, and, as unfortunate as it is for Chara, he should be that message.

I hope the player can have a normal life once he heals.

He will most likely...

Just time will tell.

Sad to say though...he wont be suspended for a long time unless the NHL wakes up.

That Aud Smell sparked me to think of something in Law. If you are committing a felony and someone dies because of it like you rob a bank and a cop dies chasing you or the bank guard running outside to stop you falls down the stairs and dies ect. You can be charged with murder. So Chara, who was committing an illegal act, should be punished because his victim got injured very severely. Chara's intent was to dump him into the bench and guess what? The partition interrupted so.... suspension is warranted just saying.

I'm guessing 2 games, as it seems that's the NHL's answer to all the possible suspensions they should hand out. There is no way they want this to have any effect on Boston's shot at the conference title.

I think Chara is nastier than a lot of people think. The media makes him out to be some kind of big angel, but I think he's nasty. And I think he knew what he was doing. The score was not in his team's favour. He's had an incident with Pac before. He meant to hit him into that partition. Did he mean to break his neck? No, neither did Bertuzzi. But Bertuzzi's hit was so much more blatant than Chara's. Chara's will be called a hockey play gone bad as some have suggested.

I believe he should get a stiff penalty but he won't. That hit is so much worse than Gillies' hits imo.

Chara gets special rules though.

That Aud Smell sparked me to think of something in Law. If you are committing a felony and someone dies because of it like you rob a bank and a cop dies chasing you or the bank guard running outside to stop you falls down the stairs and dies ect. You can be charged with murder. So Chara, who was committing an illegal act, should be punished because his victim got injured very severely. Chara's intent was to dump him into the bench and guess what? The partition interrupted so.... suspension is warranted just saying.

And it's obvious Chara knew exactly where that partition was and that he made sure Pacioretty's head hit said partition with as much force as it could, as shown by Chara shoving Pacioretty's head with his arm. In the still shot of the head hitting the partition, you can see the look on Chara's face as if he is expending much energy in forcing the head into the partition.

And it's obvious Chara knew exactly where that partition was and that he made sure Pacioretty's head hit said partition with as much force as it could, as shown by Chara shoving Pacioretty's head with his arm. In the still shot of the head hitting the partition, you can see the look on Chara's face as if he is expending much energy in forcing the head into the partition.

Ya, there is that. My belief/desire is 10 games for a deliberate injuring attempt but if he gets 3 I may be forced to be content with that.

I'm saying that all this talk about suspending him for the season is a waste. This is not a premeditated act of violence. It was a severe injury that occured at the end of a normal hockey occurance, which took a horrible turn because of the physical mismatch between the two players.

Again, Uwe Krupp hooked the St Louis player who ended up cutting the throat of Malarchuk. Should Krupp have been suspended for his careless play and life threatening results?

Chara's play was dangerous and even dirty. But if it were Tyler Myers who did it....we'd be throwing teddy bears.

IMO the biggest difference between the Krupp incident and the Chara incident is that Krupp was only trying to slow his victim down. Chara's intent was much more sinister.

I guess the whole conversation boils down to, do you believe Chara was trying to ram Pach into the end of the glass or not. I believe that Chara succeeded in doing exactly what he intended to do. I don't believe Chara thought the end result would be so severe.

IMO the biggest difference between the Krupp incident and the Chara incident is that Krupp was only trying to slow his victim down. Chara's intent was much more sinister.

I guess the whole conversation boils down to, do you believe Chara was trying to ram Pach into the end of the glass or not. I believe that Chara succeeded in doing exactly what he intended to do. I don't believe Chara thought the end result would be so severe.

Chara probably wanted to send him into the bench, and he ran out of bench. There is no way he was aiming to press his head into that partition. It happened so fast...he was going for a big hit. You would have to be evil to do that to a guy.

Just as dangerous a play when Kaleta turtles in a fight and tries to slam the other guy to the ice on the way down. Some day the back of the head will connect and someone will be dead. To me that shows more intent than Chara.

NHL is a complete ###### joke!!!!!

No suspension

"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

But but but -- it happened so fast!!!! <_<

Absolutely sickening. Stuff like this makes me not want to follow the sport.

Statement from Mike Murphy.

"I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Are you effin kidding me??? You have to start somewhere jackass, there has to be a first incident sometime. NHL brain trust is brain dead. I'm disgusted.

Chara probably wanted to send him into the bench, and he ran out of bench. There is no way he was aiming to press his head into that partition. It happened so fast...he was going for a big hit. You would have to be evil to do that to a guy.

Just as dangerous a play when Kaleta turtles in a fight and tries to slam the other guy to the ice on the way down. Some day the back of the head will connect and someone will be dead. To me that shows more intent than Chara.

I would like to think this and agree with you, but just look at where Charas arm is and the look on Charas face in the still shot of the moment of impact. He knew exactly what he was doing. 100% intentional.

I was waiting for this...I hate it when law enforcement is brought into these discussions because it shouldn't be. This happened on the ice in the course of a game. I honestly don't believe the police should be charging anyone with assault or anything like that when it happens on the ice or the field of play in any sport. If Chara had went after Pacioretty as he was walking out of the arena to his car and injured him like that, THEN you bring in the cops.

Chara should be suspended because he's responsible for knowing where he is on the ice and what potential damage he could do to another player because of his size.

Archived