The Chara incident

X. Benedict

Holy crap does Chara blow up Pacioretti or what?

That's intentional in my mind. Normally somewhat dangerous, but with Chara's body that could kill a guy.

Total cheap shot, the puck was way past him.

I know the NHL is retarded and it'll never happen, but that should result in a suspension for the rest of the year.

The hit was late and Chara was clearly trying to run a man face first into the glass. Pacioretty definitely got a concussion and could easily have a broken neck. I know hitting is a part of the game, but I just watched Chara try to seriously injure another human being. Sickening.

Pacioretty hit--disgusting. Some in the blogosphere are speculating, was the hit revenge for this (one of the replays will show Pacioretty weakly pushing Chara after the GWG)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1cw8l_rm8&feature=related

Hamilton on GR just said he doubts there's a suspension (in his opinion, Chara gets to play by a different set of rules). I'm not so sure. I don't think it will be ten games or anything, but I'll bet he gets a few.

Pacioretty hit--disgusting. Revenge for this?

Hamilton on GR just said he doubts there's a suspension (in his opinion, Chara gets to play by a different set of rules). I'm not so sure. I don't think it will be ten games or anything, but I'll bet he gets a few.

I agree with Hamilton - he'll get nothing extra.

He'll be playing against the Sabres next game getting away with all the cheap plays he always does.

He'll get a slap on the wrist. The NHL won't do anything until someone gets a broken neck.

Holy crap does Chara blow up Pacioretti or what?

That's intentional in my mind. Normally somewhat dangerous, but with Chara's body that could kill a guy.

Total cheap shot, the puck was way past him.

Jesus, that was awful... you can tell by the way he landed that was all kinds of wrong. Had he even regained consciousness when they took him off on the stretcher? Disgusting that Chara gets away with this crap, and I hate to say it but Hamilton is probably right about him not getting a suspension. How is that not worse than the hit by Giles the other night (other than it wasn't his first game off a suspension)? Wasn't it last year's playoffs (or maybe the regular season) when he instigated a fight after the end of a game against the Sabres and got nothing for it? I hate that punk SOB.

Well - he should but he won't. Chara gets away with whatever he wants to do.

CBC says he was totally unconscious on the ice. The early movements were convulsions.

Honestly, Pacioretty will be lucky if he has a normal life, let alone play again.

I'm betting a suspension. (it'll be a joke of 3 games, but I'm betting suspension)

In real time, it just looked like a hockey play to me. The puck wasn't gone so long that he couldn't have hit him. I'm actually surprised there was a penalty and there probably shouldn't be a suspension.

In real time, it just looked like a hockey play to me. The puck wasn't gone so long that he couldn't have hit him. I'm actually surprised there was a penalty and there probably shouldn't be a suspension.

wow. If you can't call interference on that....then there is no such thing.

1) Chara doesn't have position and makes contact.

2) Chara's moving laterally

3) The puck is past him

any of the three reasons makes it interference. I guess you could argue that it isn't called with consistency, but that's a clear call if there is one. IMO.

Are you serious? This should lead to a suspension - but probably won't, for the reasons noted above. There was a history between these two players from a couple of games ago, and Chara absolutely knew what he was doing and whom he was hitting! If no suspension, it is a double standard - which the NHL has unfortunately shown time and again.

wow. If you can't call interference on that....then there is no such thing.

1) Chara doesn't have position and makes contact.

2) Chara's moving laterally

3) The puck is past him

any of the three reasons makes it interference. I guess you could argue that it isn't called with consistency, but that's a clear call if there is one. IMO.

Are you serious? This should lead to a suspension - but probably won't, for the reasons noted above. There was a history between these two players from a couple of games ago, and Chara absolutely knew what he was doing and whom he was hitting! If no suspension, it is a double standard - which the NHL has unfortunately shown time and again.

If that exact play happened on the other side of the ice where the glass is continuous, it would have looked like a bump into the boards that we would not even be talking about.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, there is a very good reason that Chara gets booed loudly in almost every visiting arena. He is a bully, hits late every chance he gets, and almost never lays a hand on any player over 5'9". If the refs called every penalty he commits, he'd have more minutes than almost any other player (with very few fighting majors). Maybe someday he'll get what's coming to him - but I'm not holding my breath!

If that exact play happened on the other side of the ice where the glass is continuous, it would have looked like a bump into the boards that we would not even be talking about.

Perhaps not..but it would still be interference.

But Chara knew exactly where he was on the ice, and the situation.

You're right, but it didn't, and Pacioretty was seriously injured as a result!

BTW, if you haven't noticed, there is a very good reason that Chara gets booed loudly in almost every visiting arena. He is a bully, hits late every chance he gets, and almost never lays a hand on any player over 5'9". If the refs called every penalty he commits, he'd have more minutes than almost any other player (with very few fighting majors). Maybe someday he'll get what's coming to him - but I'm not holding my breath!

I wouldn't call Chara normally dirty. He doesn't have to be.

Perhaps not..but it would still be interference.

But Chara knew exactly where he was on the ice, and the situation.

He may have but I really doubt it. I just think it was an unfortunate accident. Players hit that glass all the time (IE. Ennis, tonight). Here's a question, Why is the glass at a right angle anyway? Instead of a corner, there should be a piece of glass at a 45 degree angle for just this reason. I'm betting that if there was, again, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

He may have but I really doubt it. I just think it was an unfortunate accident. Players hit that glass all the time (IE. Ennis did tonight). Here's a question, Why is the glass at a right angle anyway? Instead of a corner, there should be a piece of glass at a 45 degree angle for just this reason. I'm betting that if there was, again, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

I'll look at it again...maybe seeing that was pretty jarring.

He may have but I really doubt it. I just think it was an unfortunate accident. Players hit that glass all the time (IE. Ennis, tonight).

Yes, but players aren't led into that glass head first by an opponent all the time. And Chara knew exactly what he was doing. It's not like it was his first time playing hockey and he had no idea the glass was there. Not to mention it was a player he had a history with.

You just saw a man run another man head first into a solid wall. That doesn't happen by accident.

Here's a question, Why is the glass at a right angle anyway? Instead of a corner, there should be a piece of glass at a 45 degree angle for just this reason. I'm betting that if there was, again, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

It wasn't the glass's fault.

Yes, but players aren't led into that glass head first by an opponent all the time. And Chara knew exactly what he was doing. It's not like it was his first time playing hockey and he had no idea the glass was there. Not to mention it was a player he had a history with.

You just saw a man run another man head first into a solid wall. That doesn't happen by accident.

It wasn't the glass's fault.

How are you so sure what Chara knew?? That particular area of THAT rink is NOT normal, and Chara didn't lead him into it, he was finishing a (late) check.

I hate Chara as much as anyone, but beyond interference, I don't see this as intentional at all, and I've watched it several times.

Archived