Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

I can't get over how well he has been skating lately. You can see now why he is being compared to Brian Campbell.

Am I nuts or does he sound different in interviews? The confidence is just oozing out. I'll have what he's having!

I'm on record saying he's the best player on the team and should be the captain. I just wanted to know what other players you had in mind for this.

Ya I've read your posts on Vanek. You are consistant with that. To be honest I can't think of anyone else other than connolly thats an offensive player that has been playing good defensivly but his giveaways actually negate anything good he does.

Thanks. I was confused because on the Hawks broadcast last night all they were talking about was trying to resign him and locking him down. But he is exactly the kind of center the Sabres need. Well, when his contract expires he would fit very nicely into Pegs 3 year plan.

capgeek.com will help if you have question on that sort of thing and The hawks are trying to sign him to an extension and the only player we could offer would be ennis because they do not need anymore right wings. Getting Sharp might be a hard thing to do unless he gives chicago the impression he wont resign with them.

Huge win today. I think I found a new lucky hoodie. I was watching the first period, and I felt a bit cold in my house, so after the first intermission, I put on my slug hoodie. This is the second time I've worn the hoodie while watching a game, the first being when I was at HSBC earlier this year to see Stafford score a hat trick against Boston in a 3-2 victory. Lo and behold, they win again today after I started wearing it. I'm not terribly superstitious, but it seemed to work today.

Overall great game by the Sabres. The big guys scored and Sekera has been on fire since his scratch. Boyes and Vanek each with 2 assists, and Stafford and Pominville get goals today. In 3 games, the Brad Boyes pickup has been really good, 4 points in 3 games. Really good win by the Sabres and needed after Carolina lost and the Rangers won. The Sabres still in the mix and only one point behind Carolina with tomorrow's game in Minnesota. The Sabres are a point back of Carolina with 2 games in hand and 2 points back of the Rangers with 3 games in hand. As long as they continue winning or getting points with those games in hand, the Sabres are still in it.

By the way, did anyone notice the refs complete swallowing their whistles today? There was so much hooking, interference, holding, holding of sticks by the Flyers and nothing was called. I'm not saying it would have made a difference for the Sabres (or would have given Philly a chance to score more shorthanded goals), but there were so many uncalled penalties today, it looked like a game from 1994, it was that bad. Pronger is the absolute worst offender, too. It's annoying.

Anyway, good win and another must win game tomorrow in Minnesota. I anticipate Hecht will play with Grier likely out for tomorrow with an injury.

Huge win, absolut huge win.

I like it how they came back after getting two down.

Hope we have some reserves left for Minnesota.

Three tough games coming up: Minni, Pitt, Boston. I'll be happy if they come away with 3 points, as long as they follow it up with wins over the Laffs, Sens, and Canes. 14 out of 18 possible points on this trip would be great (although it may be a pipe dream)

Biggest W of the year?

Gotta be up there.

Just for fun I looked at the Sabres' record this season against the current top 10 teams in the league. Sabres started 0-6 against these teams but have gone 11-9-2 since.

Vancouver-Philly-Detroit-Boston-SJ-Pitt-TB-Washington-Chicago-Munreal.

Sabres 7-3-2 against those top 5. Impressive.

I haven't read this whole thread, but has it been mentioned that the Sabres won despite two of the cardinal sins: (1) failed to score on lengthy 5-on-3, and (2) gave up a shorty. Must have been some built up karma to overcome those.

Great win, though!

Yeah, I wondered myself why the war room has time to look into stuff like this. Rick was pretty tough on the ref. Maybe somebody from the league office called the war room. Weird.

If the war room is keeping tabs on announcers, shouldn't they be keeping tabs on all the bad/non-calls the officials do/do not make? Surely they must have a list of calls that need to be reviewed by the league and reported back to the officials...........

If the war room is keeping tabs on announcers, shouldn't they be keeping tabs on all the bad/non-calls the officials do/do not make? Surely they must have a list of calls that need to be reviewed by the league and reported back to the officials...........

Who cares? Colin Campbell makes the final decision anyway, so why bother reporting in the first place?

Appreciate the logic though.

Ruff said Grier and Jochen out for tomorrow, will have to call someone up. Byron?

And in case anyone's wondering, with the team down to 11 forwards (assuming Grier and Hecht are both IRed), the team can make an emergency callup and not have to burn one of their 3 remaining AHL callups.

Archived