Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

:wallbash: BECAUSE YOU NEVER EVER EVER KNOW WHAT YOUR PICK WILL DO AND MAYBE DRAFTIN 10th HELPS US! I HONESTLY DO NOT CARE EITHER WAY. PLAYOFFS ARE GOOD NOT MAKING IT THIS YEAR IS JUST AS GOOD! WAIT A SECOND WTF AM I DOING WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS SAY F*CK THE LEMONS AND...

:wallbash: BECAUSE YOU NEVER EVER EVER KNOW WHAT YOUR PICK WILL DO AND MAYBE DRAFTIN 10th HELPS US! I HONESTLY DO NOT CARE EITHER WAY. PLAYOFFS ARE GOOD NOT MAKING IT THIS YEAR IS JUST AS GOOD! WAIT A SECOND WTF AM I DOING WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS SAY F*CK THE LEMONS AND...

See, here's where ur wrong, salt shaka little licka lime...

This will be the day it all changes for your daughter haha

Hockey is an addicting sport! have fun at the game!

UGHHH !!! fingernails on chalkboard - the correct word is ADDICTIVE.....can't stand the dumb, overused malaprop that is "addicting"..... :thumbdown: :wallbash:

But still, give him props. Try and find a replay of that goal and watch it in slo-mo. Just a straight up sick play and one of the biggest goals of the season thus far.

[/quote

I absolutely do give Van major props for that dish to J Pom.....just reluctant to call it a "no-look" because it was not one.

Word police eh?

Whats the difference?

yep, I call 'em as I see 'em.....the difference is that "addicting" is an incorrect term, known as a "misplaced modifier". But I digress - this is a hockey board, not a grammar board.....not worth getting worked up about.

Well! Hello Mr. Sunshine!

Hope it was great. I still remember taking my boy to his -- November 2005, Sabres vs Islanders, Kotalik ties it up with 3 minutes to go on a sweet rush and then TC wins it in the shootout.

Not a great game but they won 5-3. The most entertaining part was near the end when the coach from the Hurricanes went nuts and tossed anything he could get his hands on, out onto the ice. Not sure I like the message he's sending to his kids, but it was pretty funny. And Kelowna is now first place by 6 points!!

9. No one -- on this board and definitely not on the team -- should be thinking that the Sabres just need to show up tomorrow to pick up an easy win. Minnesota is 1 point out of the playoffs and has 34 wins and 74 points; the Sabres have 31 and 70.

I didn't realize there was a perception that a game against Minnesota would be easy. I don't know how anyone can expect an easy game against a team with a better record (unless you're the Sens facing the Sabres pre-this year).

I donno how it looks on standard definition 4:3 TVs but that camera angle from right behind the net on powerplays is sick in widescreen HD. Gives you a great perspective.

My favorite angle in sports now..thought the exact same thing watching the game !

I've said it all along, Vanek and Pominville work well together and when you stick Roy in the middle, you've got 3 guys who came up through the ranks together and know each other instinctively. But Ruff can't get it through that thick Saskatchewan skull of his.

3. I will echo the sentiment expressed by others up-thread that Gaustad had a great game. There was one scrum in front of the Philly net in particular in which he was really throwing bodies around.

If it's the scrum I'm thinking of, I loved that. Nothing was really happening, the Gaustad started taking names and numbers. The Sabres initiated instead of reacted. You known damn well three seconds later the Flyers were going to get the ball rolling.

6. If anyone knows how to find this info, I'd be curious to know how many shifts Ennis-Boyes-Stafford played together.

As far as I know, all you can do is study the play by play log where the players on the ice are listed for each event that occurs (hit, takeaway, faceoff etc.).

All the NHL has to do is hire some computer geeks to figure out how to mine all the data they have for each game. You'd think a program could be written to count the number of shifts each line has together, time on the ice together, giveaways vs. takeaways for each line etc.

If it's the scrum I'm thinking of, I loved that. Nothing was really happening, the Gaustad started taking names and numbers. The Sabres initiated instead of reacted. You known damn well three seconds later the Flyers were going to get the ball rolling.

As far as I know, all you can do is study the play by play log where the players on the ice are listed for each event that occurs (hit, takeaway, faceoff etc.).

All the NHL has to do is hire some computer geeks to figure out how to mine all the data they have for each game. You'd think a program could be written to count the number of shifts each line has together, time on the ice together, giveaways vs. takeaways for each line etc.

NHL.com used to have terrific shift charts. No more.

According to TOI reports it started Boyes-Connolly-Ennis, lines started mixing up towards the end of the first period.

Come period 2 It was Stafford-Connolly-Ennis, with Boyes moved to Pominville line. Boyes was on Pommers line for the next 11 of 18 shifts Pommers took. Most likely some PP or PK shifts he missed.

Vanek was pretty much with Pommers all night, some extra shifts by both with Grier down. Vanek gets 20:44 of ice time.

What was on these charts?

It looked like this: picture a graph with the players on the left vertical axis and time, from 0:00 to 60:00 (or 65 if OT) along the bottom axis. Whenever a given player was on the ice, a green bar was in his row for the appropriate time. Goals were marked with a black line; time in the box, with red hatching. So it was really easy to see who was out together and when, as well as who had a long shift or a short shift. It was a great feature.

Here's an example from a leaves-habs game in 2007: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20062007/SC021219.HTM

I really wish they still did this.

It looked like this: picture a graph with the players on the left vertical axis and time, from 0:00 to 60:00 (or 65 if OT) along the bottom axis. Whenever a given player was on the ice, a green bar was in his row for the appropriate time. Goals were marked with a black line; time in the box, with red hatching. So it was really easy to see who was out together and when, as well as who had a long shift or a short shift. It was a great feature.

Here's an example from a leaves-habs game in 2007: http://www.nhl.com/s...07/SC021219.HTM

I really wish they still did this.

The closest you'll get to this is the play by play in the RTSS reports after the game.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/PL020974.HTM

yep, I call 'em as I see 'em.....the difference is that "addicting" is an incorrect term, known as a "misplaced modifier". But I digress - this is a hockey board, not a grammar board.....not worth getting worked up about.

Yeah, Im not 100% w/ grammar...

Lets just talk about hockey and have a good time!

Archived