Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

I thought they were playing well in the first, except their goalie was out to lunch. If the Sabres weren't up to the task, the Flyers could have had a few more by the end of that period.

I don't know what the hell is the matter with Miller this year. My wife thinks he's not only distracted by the wedding, but thinks the soon-to-be-Mrs-Miller is whispering things in his ear like Wormtongue - stuff like he's too good for Buffalo, the teams sucks without him, etc. etc.

That probably could be it, but that shouldnt cause problems that much...

Maybe next year he'll be in the zone

I thought they were playing well in the first, except their goalie was out to lunch. If the Sabres weren't up to the task, the Flyers could have had a few more by the end of that period.

I don't know what the hell is the matter with Miller this year. My wife thinks he's not only distracted by the wedding, but thinks the soon-to-be-Mrs-Miller is whispering things in his ear like Wormtongue - stuff like he's too good for Buffalo, the teams sucks without him, etc. etc.

FWIW NHL Live had Islanders' forward Matt Moulson on the show about a month, a month and a half ago. Moulson got married last July, and when asked about it, he said prepping for the wedding and such served as a big distraction throughout the 09-10 season. Maybe Miller is going through the same thing.

However oddly enough Moulson's numbers last year were pretty good -- 30 goals, 18 assists, so I guess the distraction argument doesn't really hold much weight. He was probably just trying to humor them and be a polite radio interview.

we are completely being outmatched by a team that's faster, more physical, and much more skilled.

Ok look everyone, we are looking at a "stanley cup contender team" versus a "pray and hope we make the playoffs team" It should come as no surprise given our lack of actually talent that we are being outclassed. I love the Sabres but I don't love this team and I want to make the playoffs but I doubt we do alot of damage. We have no centers at all. We have a group of Rookies basically playing defense, and Miller is playing like a normal gt so pray that July 1 brings actual change because last year we got eliminated in the first round and then we did what to improve the team? NOTHING!

Yup, I am sorry but I would rather finish in 9th and draft about 5 teams higher than play 5 playoff games and get owned by philly. Thats not me being negative thats me being realistic an looking towards the future where we could win a cup.

ok this team still isnt that good but I would love to see them win lol

So, wow. Don't know how all that happend but I hope it continues... and then this team does that and it reassures we may be 3years or less away from winnin a cup

The third period will come down to whether or not the Boyes Vanek Pommers line can click and score some goals... or not. Vanek the 7million dollar man with the 1 dollar pair of hands today and the .50 cent effort in 1 on 1 battles.... Pray.

Ur bipolar, admit it. Not that there's anything wrong with.that...

#WINNING! #Tigerblood!

A GREAT win with only one complaint...WTF were they doing with 4 forwards out there on the 4-3 when the shorties was scored. I could see going with all forwards on a PP if you are down by a goal and less than 10 minutes to go in the game, but not in the situation from today's game.

Ur bipolar, admit it. Not that there's anything wrong with.that...

#WINNING! #Tigerblood!

Still would rather finish with a higher draft pick this year. Still didnt think after the first we could win. Still glad we did win. Vanek was playing cruddy then turned it on. Ummmm we saw the difference between a Stanley cup contender and I team fighting to make the playoffs. Finally, Brad Boyes played center... and we started to win... huh... so continue to insult me i'm ok with it honestly. I am still shocked yet happy we won and I think that making the playoffs would be fun but if we all want the stanley cup in the next three years we would be better served by getting a higher draft pick who could help us in the next three years thats all.

Still would rather finish with a higher draft pick this year. Still didnt think after the first we could win. Still glad we did win. Vanek was playing cruddy then turned it on. Ummmm we saw the difference between a Stanley cup contender and I team fighting to make the playoffs. Finally, Brad Boyes played center... and we started to win... huh... so continue to insult me i'm ok with it honestly. I am still shocked yet happy we won and I think that making the playoffs would be fun but if we all want the stanley cup in the next three years we would be better served by getting a higher draft pick who could help us in the next three years thats all.

why do you want a higher draft pick this year? it's a weak draft class and we're pretty much locked in to picking between 12-20 anyway, so we're not going to get a top notch prospect. Nobody we draft this season is going to lead us to a cup in less than three years. If anything we should be packaging our first rounder w/ Pominville to clear cap space and maybe still get a second or third line winger back in return.

Brad Boyes "played" center for about a period and a half. you posted the stats in the other thread, Boyes was 1-for-6 on faceoffs, forcing Pominville to take over for that line. he went 4-for-8 or whatever. also, you weren't the first to suggest moving Boyes to center, it was widely speculated the moment the trade was made that perhaps Boyes could play center for us.. not trying to come off as a jerk just that "I TOLD YOU GUYS BOYES COULD PLAY CENTER!!!" post from earlier in the thread was laughable, especially since he didn't even do a very good job? where's the bragging rights in "calling" that one?

why do you want a higher draft pick this year? it's a weak draft class and we're pretty much locked in to picking between 12-20 anyway, so we're not going to get a top notch prospect. Nobody we draft this season is going to lead us to a cup in less than three years. If anything we should be packaging our first rounder w/ Pominville to clear cap space and maybe still get a second or third line winger back in return.

Brad Boyes "played" center for about a period and a half. you posted the stats in the other thread, Boyes was 1-for-6 on faceoffs, forcing Pominville to take over for that line. he went 4-for-8 or whatever. also, you weren't the first to suggest moving Boyes to center, it was widely speculated the moment the trade was made that perhaps Boyes could play center for us.. not trying to come off as a jerk just that "I TOLD YOU GUYS BOYES COULD PLAY CENTER!!!" post from earlier in the thread was laughable, especially since he didn't even do a very good job? where's the bragging rights in "calling" that one?

Heres the thing, I was told in another post by another poster or two that BOYES never had and never would play center in the NHL so it was great to be vindicated and the Sabres are not going to win the cup this year agreed? They would do really well to make it to the playoffs and out of round 1 agreed? So I have mixed feelings about making the playoffs as it would at best give us playoff experience and nothing more. maybe if Roy were healthy I would feel different and if we had replaced Rivet with a better vet. the good news going forward, we have had so many struggles this year that within a couple of years we will be a team that has struggled and persevered.

Sekera with 8 points in 4 games. WOW.

He's just 24 years old too. He should be able to address whatever issues he currently has and round out into an awesome player for us long term.

Sekera has exploded lately... hes not just getting lucky either, hes simply working hard and playing well. I hope he doesnt break out of this trend anytime soon. In 20:55 of ice time he had 1g, 1a, +2, 2bs, 4sog, and stayed out of the penalty box.

I can put up with defensive lapses from an offensive defenseman who is scoring, creating plays, creating offensive chances. When offensive defenseman stop doing those things, then I get worried.

Yeah, I wondered myself why the war room has time to look into stuff like this. Rick was pretty tough on the ref. Maybe somebody from the league office called the war room. Weird.

It can't be a good thing if the league is so insecure about the criticism it takes on the fronts of discipline and officiating that it will micromanage commentary by PbP and TV announce teams.

Must be time to move him to a forward line. :)

Why bother? Just put Weber back in and set Reggie loose on the wing with the way he's playing now :thumbsup:

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Heres the thing, I was told in another post by another poster or two that BOYES never had and never would play center in the NHL so it was great to be vindicated and the Sabres are not going to win the cup this year agreed? They would do really well to make it to the playoffs and out of round 1 agreed? So I have mixed feelings about making the playoffs as it would at best give us playoff experience and nothing more. maybe if Roy were healthy I would feel different and if we had replaced Rivet with a better vet. the good news going forward, we have had so many struggles this year that within a couple of years we will be a team that has struggled and persevered.

but again, even if we miss playoffs, our draft pick isn't going to be any better of a player than if we make playoffs and win a round, or two, or three, or the cup. at this point in the season there is really no reason to root for anything besides making playoffs and winning the cup. Who knows what happens once we DO make playoffs? Philly is the one team I don't want to play in a best of 7, but the team did a hell of a job today, huh? If we get a strong series from Miller then I'm not too convinced we make a first round exit even against them... just like last year when we were considered the favorite in the first round.

i hear what you're saying but if the team wanted to tank and miss playoffs for a high draft pick they should have avoided that turn-around in January, it's too late for that now. they're in the mix. you'd really rather the Sabres finish 9th and draft Joe Schmoe who never plays an NHL game with the 15th pick in the draft than Buffalo makes playoffs, perhaps wins a round or beyond, and draft Joe Blow who also never plays an NHL game with the 23rd pick in the draft?

Didnt I say I hope they make the playoffs? Yes I want to watch playoff hockey. Yes I want to win the cup. Maybe its the last four years of constant disappointment. Drury and Briere leaving, campbell, no playoffs for years, miller's olympic heartbreak, the weak playoff series last year. When Jeannerett used to say "DO YOU BELIEVE" I said "yes!" I thought in 06-07 we would win the cup, I went to the arena and watched on the tv's outside and then watched alfredson walk btw two defenders and shoot it home... All of that and thats just post lockout. I want this team to succeed but this year is not "the" year for us. In a best of 7 Philly probably has a 90% chance to beat us. If we had Roy it would be different.

Maybe they turned the corner the last three games of the homestand.

Well! Hello Mr. Sunshine!

Off to a Kelowna Rockets game in a few minutes. Got freebees. First game I've gone to since Tyler Myers played on the team. And my little girl's first ever live hockey game of any kind. Just wanted to share.

Hope it was great. I still remember taking my boy to his -- November 2005, Sabres vs Islanders, Kotalik ties it up with 3 minutes to go on a sweet rush and then TC wins it in the shootout.

- A great day in Philly for a hockey game...about 60 degrees with a little wind. Hit up Tony Luke's before the game, and went downtown for some beers and food after the game. Amazingly, living 90 minutes from Philly, I have only been out there for 2 Sabres games...I really should do this more often, because that was really enjoyable.

That place is great, and close to the arena. I went there last spring before a Flyers-Habs playoff game. Outstanding.

Separately: Great win!

A few game notes:

1. Pretty surprised to see Weber healthy-scratched, but in thinking it over I can remember a number of bonehead penalties in recent games, while Butler has been playing respectably. I think I'd still rather have Weber in the lineup than Butler though.

2. Sekera-Montador has been a good pairing.

3. I will echo the sentiment expressed by others up-thread that Gaustad had a great game. There was one scrum in front of the Philly net in particular in which he was really throwing bodies around.

4. Vanek's pass to Pommer was a thing of beauty, and his pass to Stafford wasn't far behind.

5. To everyone calling to dump Sekera over the past couple of seasons: He's 24 and look what he can do. We just have to live with a certain number of defensive mistakes while his decision-making improves over time. BTW, ESPN also says he weighs 201 lbs, although it seems like ESPN is always a bit above the other websites in reporting player size.

6. If anyone knows how to find this info, I'd be curious to know how many shifts Ennis-Boyes-Stafford played together.

7. Ennis needs to work on his shot over the offseason. He can create but his finishing skills aren't on par with the rest of his game.

8. Miller played pretty well. That backhand shot might've been stoppable, but it also might've been a really great shot.

9. No one -- on this board and definitely not on the team -- should be thinking that the Sabres just need to show up tomorrow to pick up an easy win. Minnesota is 1 point out of the playoffs and has 34 wins and 74 points; the Sabres have 31 and 70.

Go Sabres.

9. No one -- on this board and definitely not on the team -- should be thinking that the Sabres just need to show up tomorrow to pick up an easy win. Minnesota is 1 point out of the playoffs and has 34 wins and 74 points; the Sabres have 31 and 70.

Go Sabres.

I agree 100%

The West is VERY strong!

Tomorrows game should not be taken easily b/c the Wild are 11th

I agree 100%

The West is VERY strong!

Tomorrows game should not be taken easily b/c the Wild are 11th

Minnesota has 75pts in 65games versus buffalo's 70pts in 64games. The Wild like the sabres are without there top center (Koivu). Tomorrows game is going to be hard fought and might be a better test than the flyers in some regards due to the desperation of our opponent.

Didnt I say I hope they make the playoffs? Yes I want to watch playoff hockey. Yes I want to win the cup. Maybe its the last four years of constant disappointment. Drury and Briere leaving, campbell, no playoffs for years, miller's olympic heartbreak, the weak playoff series last year. When Jeannerett used to say "DO YOU BELIEVE" I said "yes!" I thought in 06-07 we would win the cup, I went to the arena and watched on the tv's outside and then watched alfredson walk btw two defenders and shoot it home... All of that and thats just post lockout. I want this team to succeed but this year is not "the" year for us. In a best of 7 Philly probably has a 90% chance to beat us. If we had Roy it would be different.

Why? Because the Sabres would still be 10 games under .500?

Minnesota has 75pts in 65games versus buffalo's 70pts in 64games. The Wild like the sabres are without there top center (Koivu). Tomorrows game is going to be hard fought and might be a better test than the flyers in some regards due to the desperation of our opponent.

Who wants it more will determine it...

Does Buffalo want to kick ass and get another 2pts...

I said on Monday that they needed AT THE VERY MINIMUM 10 points on this road trip

So far a 6/7 has been recorded so lets keep it up!

Henrik Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall in the 7th round. And Brad Boyes finished today a +2 2a and 5sog so yup he was terrible at center and should go back to wing where he belongs and yup.

Then why do u wanna tank and get high draft picks?

Yup, I am sorry but I would rather finish in 9th and draft about 5 teams higher than play 5 playoff games and get owned by philly. Thats not me being negative thats me being realistic an looking towards the future where we could win a cup.

#WINNING

#TIGERBLOOD!

Archived