RIVET WAS PLACED ON WAIVERS TODAY!!!!!!!

Steve Phillips

The reason Rivet was placed on waivers is obvious. The sabres are about to make a blockbuster trade to bring in their new captain, Dustin Brown.

I'm thinking Paul Stastny. Colorado's sliding fast and they have a lot of depth at center, so there's been talk that he's on the market. He's signed for three more years at $6.6 million and is just 25 years old. Definitely would be a big move that would help beyond this season. Maybe they'll acquire some picks for Connolly and a few others, then put a package together for Paul.

I actually am wondering if the new direction of the team includes bringing in a young, extremely talented leader from another team?

I have no doubt that this is going to happen in the near future. However, I'm not about to speculate who that might be. If he's from within or from another team, more power to the new blood. :thumbsup:

That would make the kid fall apart.

Sad thing is....there still is no REAL captain on this team.

Vanek....maybe someday

Gaustad circa 2007

Montador leaving shortly

Pominville....he can date my sister, not lead my team

Last time I checked, Pominville was off the market and has been for some time.

Matador? Hmmm. Did he ever show up for a bullfight on the ice?

Also, TP has shown in the past that he believes strongly in treating his employees fairly. Waiving Rivet is one way of showing this. It had to be hard and embarrassing for Rivet to be a healthy scratch all these games. Class move. Should have been done much sooner.

Makes me wonder how OSP ran Paychex all these years.

Per Twitter:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

CGY puts Ales Kotalik on re-entry waivers, BUF puts Craig Rivet on waivers, PHI puts Nik Zherdev on waivers, NSH puts on Marek

Slap the "C" on Vanek and let's go!!!!

Darcy, whatever you do, DON'T claim Zherdev off waivers. Waaaaay overrated and streaky. Shows up to play only when he wants to. It's taken 3 NHL teams to figure this out.

I'm thinking Paul Stastny. Colorado's sliding fast and they have a lot of depth at center, so there's been talk that he's on the market. He's signed for three more years at $6.6 million and is just 25 years old. Definitely would be a big move that would help beyond this season. Maybe they'll acquire some picks for Connolly and a few others, then put a package together for Paul.

I agree with you on this. I was listening to the NHL channel on XM today, and the point that Stastny is on the block came up a lot. I think Stastny would be a great fit in Buffalo for many years. And, as much as I dislike Roy, he might do well on a second line, if his ego accepted that role. This would also help our center line depth, as everyone shifts back one until Connolly is gone.

It would be a move of this caliber that would tell me that Regier is right for the job, and confirm that he was previously handcuffed. But, I don't see anything exciting happening which will just continue to frustrate me.

To get on topic, I would love to see Vanek with the 'C.' I was happy to see an 'A' on his jersey for tonight's game, but I cannot think of someone more deserving, other than Miller, and that can't happen.

My guess is that no team was willing to give up anything for Rivet, so the Sabres put him on waivers to see if anyone would take him for the cost of his contract. He was been a good soldier while sitting in the press box for weeks on end. Therefore, I can't see the Sabres humiliating him by sending him to Portland. If no one claims him, I would guess he stays right here and retires at the end of the season. If the last game or two of the season are meaningless, I could see Lindy dressing him for one last hurrah.

Are you kidding? He's probably already talking to Vancouver. They are bleeding defensemen this season and could use one with some seasoning.

Canucks got two d-men back last night and the others are on the way, so I doubt they go after Rivet. They are also right up against the cap and do not want to mess with their chemistry.

Darcy, whatever you do, DON'T claim Zherdev off waivers. Waaaaay overrated and streaky. Shows up to play only when he wants to. It's taken 3 NHL teams to figure this out.

Refresh my memory on Zherdev, wasn't he playing for the Rangers a few years back, like 2 or 3 years ago?

I remember seeing him on the ice 1 game against the Rangers, is this correct?

i was surprised to learn that Zherdev is 36 years old... I guess I thought that he started playing in 05-06 and that he was pretty young, probably because you never heard ###### about Columbus pre-lockout...

I think you meant 26. He was born in 1984.

Who is going to be the Captain I wonder. And I agree, I would have to think there is already an on Ice leader somewhere on that roster, just who I don't think any fans have any idea.

Very strange situation with Rivet this season, and I do also agree with many, he showed alot of class this season.

Back to the question though, who will be the captain? Anyone think there are plans to bring a young leader in like a Brown or Richards type?

TYLER MYERS....stop wasting time, he is the future. Gaustad for "A".

no way does Vanek deserve the "C".

I agree with you on this. I was listening to the NHL channel on XM today, and the point that Stastny is on the block came up a lot. I think Stastny would be a great fit in Buffalo for many years. And, as much as I dislike Roy, he might do well on a second line, if his ego accepted that role. This would also help our center line depth, as everyone shifts back one until Connolly is gone.

It would be a move of this caliber that would tell me that Regier is right for the job, and confirm that he was previously handcuffed. But, I don't see anything exciting happening which will just continue to frustrate me.

Wow -- I was about to post that I would love to get Stastny, but I don't think Colorado would trade him. If he is on the block -- DR should jump in.

I have to admit that I thought that as I stood there watching.

How was it in the arena last night? It looked awesome on TV.

Wow -- I was about to post that I would love to get Stastny, but I don't think Colorado would trade him. If he is on the block -- DR should jump in.

Some of the Avs media believe he is on the block: (this was from a few days ago)

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/20/avs-now-with-five-centers-whos-going-to-go/6559/

With Matt Duchene close to returning from his hand injury (he’s expected to practice tomorrow, and he’s day-to-day now. His hand obviously wasn’t broken, as some media outlets falsely reported), the Avs will have five centers on the current roster once he does – Duchene, Stastny, McClement, O’Reilly and Dupuis. Last year’s first-round pick, Joey Hishon, is fast coming up the pipeline.

I’ll bet even money one of them is gone by Monday, though I’m not including Duchene in the list. That means – that’s right -I’ve included Stastny in the list of possible “touchables.”

Plus Peter Statsny spoke up last night, saying the Avs management destroyed the team with the Stewart trade:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/22/peter-stastny-bombshell-avs-blues-trade-destroyed-the-team/6586/

So maybe now would be the time to swoop in and take advantage of the volatile situation in Denver - see if you could steal Paul Stastny for maybe a little less than what he might normally command.

Paul Statsny is being very diplomatic in his response to what his old man said. He said that Chris Stewart was one of the best wingers he would have ever had playing with him on his line, but in no way was he going to request a trade or demand to be moved from the Avs.

Paul Stastny, who said he "absolutely" wants to remain with the Avalanche, said his father’s comments didn’t put him in an awkward situation with the team.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/02/24/paul-stastny-disagrees-fathers-comments/

Wish he could be a guy we could swoop in for but right now it's not gonna happen.

Some of the Avs media believe he is on the block: (this was from a few days ago)

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/20/avs-now-with-five-centers-whos-going-to-go/6559/

With Matt Duchene close to returning from his hand injury (he’s expected to practice tomorrow, and he’s day-to-day now. His hand obviously wasn’t broken, as some media outlets falsely reported), the Avs will have five centers on the current roster once he does – Duchene, Stastny, McClement, O’Reilly and Dupuis. Last year’s first-round pick, Joey Hishon, is fast coming up the pipeline.

I’ll bet even money one of them is gone by Monday, though I’m not including Duchene in the list. That means – that’s right -I’ve included Stastny in the list of possible “touchables.”

Plus Peter Statsny spoke up last night, saying the Avs management destroyed the team with the Stewart trade:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/22/peter-stastny-bombshell-avs-blues-trade-destroyed-the-team/6586/

So maybe now would be the time to swoop in and take advantage of the volatile situation in Denver - see if you could steal Paul Stastny for maybe a little less than what he might normally command.

Took the time this morning to look up Stastny's record. Already knew he came from great hockey genes, but this kid looks like a winner.

I am with you, if he is available I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Blue & Gold at all.

I hope they do something before the deadline, this looks like it would be a very good move.

Also, I read alot of people talking about contracts, where do you guys get this information from? Is it made public? Thanks again, I've been a fan for many many years but my son is the one teaching me computers, so if I ask a dumb question, well, my screen name says it all.

Took the time this morning to look up Stastny's record. Already knew he came from great hockey genes, but this kid looks like a winner.

I am with you, if he is available I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Blue & Gold at all.

I hope they do something before the deadline, this looks like it would be a very good move.

Also, I read alot of people talking about contracts, where do you guys get this information from? Is it made public? Thanks again, I've been a fan for many many years but my son is the one teaching me computers, so if I ask a dumb question, well, my screen name says it all.

Capgeek.com

you're welcome.

Yesterday this seemed like a shock at first then a none story because everyone, inluding their mothers said this means nothing, as he won't get claimed, won't get send down, won't get "C" stripped... but, this could become a big story for today because Mike Brophy just said he believes ATLEAST 2 teams have put a claim on Rivet. Possibly the NYR.

That would be huge cap relief and open the C up.

Archived