RIVET WAS PLACED ON WAIVERS TODAY!!!!!!!

Steve Phillips

They have 4.5 is cap space this year. they could add 17 million now but that accounts for next yuears cap space i believe

No - its prorated. They could add 17 million in current contracts for this year, and still be under the cap because there are only 24 games left this year.

With Connolly's and Rivet's contract off the books and the ccap expected to go up over $61 Million, next year shouldn't be a concern provided that you want those players for next year.

According to capgeek, if the cap were to stay the same, they currently have about $22 million to work with next year. I can't imagine the moves it would take in the next week to burn up all of that.

Right - that's why I said current contracts for this year. Actually they could carry over to next year - you don't have to be under the cap until right before the season opener, right?

Then they can send down all of those players they picked up this season. :)

No - its prorated. They could add 17 million in current contracts for this year, and still be under the cap because there are only 24 games left this year.

They have 17 million left to pay all players for the rest of the season and be under the cap.

the cap is 59 million, they have 30% left of the season or 17 million in cap. 17 million is to the total cap hit they can have for the rest of the year. Its not the amount of contracts they can add. 17 million in prorated contracts is $5 million dollars. they dont have that space according to cap geek.

they have about 1.2 million in cap space to add going forward, so they can add that much in prorated contracts.

Also, TP has shown in the past that he believes strongly in treating his employees fairly. Waiving Rivet is one way of showing this. It had to be hard and embarrassing for Rivet to be a healthy scratch all these games. Class move. Should have been done much sooner.

They have 17 million left to pay all players for the rest of the season and be under the cap.

the cap is 59 million, they have 30% left of the season or 17 million in cap. 17 million is to the total cap hit they can have for the rest of the year. Its not the amount of contracts they can add. 17 million in prorated contracts is $5 million dollars. they dont have that space according to cap geek.

they have about 1.2 million in cap space to add going forward, so they can add that much in prorated contracts.

The $17 million comes from the current sum of their average salaries, plus all of the amount they've been below the cap through the course of the season. So it's not just simply from having 30% of the season left.

They also have the option of LTIR relief for Derek Roy, something that I'm not sure if it has actually been factored into the number or not.

The cap is 59.4, and their current contracts through the end of the year bring them to approx 55.1 million. They could take on contracts that for the full year that $17 million, because due to the prorate it will be less than the cap space that they have available, which is $4.3 million. At least that's the way I'm reading it.

Not this:

This:

The $17 million comes from the current sum of their average salaries, plus all of the amount they've been below the cap through the course of the season. So it's not just simply from having 30% of the season left.

They also have the option of LTIR relief for Derek Roy, something that I'm not sure if it has actually been factored into the number or not.

They get to bankroll the cap space they didn't spend in all the games up to now. Its not a use it or lose it on a per game basis.

Here is the explanation of that 17 million number as shown on the cap geek website when you hover over the question mark to the left of the number:

The full-season cap hit(s) that can be added to the current roster on the selected date. If applicable to the selected team, long-term injured reserve is factored into the total. However, this total does not factor in potential bonus cushion deductions.

Not this:

This:

They get to bankroll the cap space they didn't spend in all the games up to now. Its not a use it or lose it on a per game basis.

Here is the explanation of that 17 million number as shown on the cap geek website when you hover over the question mark to the left of the number:

The full-season cap hit(s) that can be added to the current roster on the selected date. If applicable to the selected team, long-term injured reserve is factored into the total. However, this total does not factor in potential bonus cushion deductions.

Yea that explanation doesnt make sense to me. They only had 4.5 total cap space to start. 17 million is prorated contracts is 5 million.

I havent really looked into this in depth and obviously am missing part of the rule here.

Whatever you think about the guy I do feel sorry for him. Still, I hope he finds a new lease of life somewhere.

I feel terrible for him but as pointed out everyone gets put out to pasture eventually. In addition I wouldn't feel so bad about getting 3.5 million to not work. <_< Not sure who this is a worse reflection of DR or CR.

Yea that explanation doesnt make sense to me. They only had 4.5 total cap space to start. 17 million is prorated contracts is 5 million.

I havent really looked into this in depth and obviously am missing part of the rule here.

I think it's mostly a matter of semantics at this point. When we keep bouncing between average salaries and total dollars spent, it gets confusing. Both the $17 million number and your $5 million have their own separate meanings. Yours is a bit low though since it doesn't account for them being under the cap by X amount for 2/3rds of the season and also the relief that they can potentially use thanks to Roy's injury.

I am not an expert, either, and its much more complicated than what everyone is stating. Every time one of the Portland guys comes up, it chews away at our cap, so that 4.3 number goes down a little. When Roy went on long term IR, that raised the 4.3 figure.

Forget about the overall 59 mill cap. Think about it as a dollars per game amount available, where we get to bank what we don't spend on each game. Even this is too simple, as we can overspend the per game amount, as long as our bank account is in the black at the end of the regular season.

The $4.5 cap space is a projection, it figures the end of season cap space using what has been used to date plus the numbers from the current roster. They're also projecting using days, not games, because of that it's probably not exactly accurate, but pretty close.

$17.4 mill/186 x 46=4.3 mill

http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=8

I am not an expert, either, and its much more complicated than what everyone is stating. Every time one of the Portland guys comes up, it chews away at our cap, so that 4.3 number goes down a little. When Roy went on long term IR, that raised the 4.3 figure.

Forget about the overall 59 mill cap. Think about it as a dollars per game amount available, where we get to bank what we don't spend on each game. Even this is too simple, as we can overspend the per game amount, as long as our bank account is in the black at the end of the regular season.

I'll complicate this a little further just for fun. Roy's injury did not raise the 4.3 figure at all. Teams are entitled to relief when someone is on LTIR, but they don't actually get that relief unless they use it. They can't use that relief unless they go over the cap during that time. He has counted against the cap the entire time he has been out.

Rivet won't play in the minors. If no one claims him he will just wait and try to hook up another team later in the year. He won't be in Portland.

I'm inclined to agree with nucci, he won't report.

If he doesn't report, doesn't he throw away the last $850K he'll make as a hockey player? I don't think he'd do that.

They did the same exact thing a couple years back with Adam Mair. Granted there's far less money involved here, but he was placed on waivers to see if anyone would take him. Until Rivet clears and is actually assigned to Portland, this move is no different.

Good call.

I'll complicate this a little further just for fun. Roy's injury did not raise the 4.3 figure at all. Teams are entitled to relief when someone is on LTIR, but they don't actually get that relief unless they use it. They can't use that relief unless they go over the cap during that time. He has counted against the cap the entire time he has been out.

So the cap relief afforded by LTIR is as useless as a salary cap of 59 million when your internal budget is only 55 million???

My 2 cents:

1. I agree that there is NFW this would've happened under TG.

2. This probably makes it less likely that they trade Monty at the deadline, unless it's coupled with a separate trade for a defenseman (which would, based on TP's comments yesterday, need to be someone under contract for next year).

3. Since the Sabres now officially don't care about paying someone an NHL salary to play in the minors, this is a no-lose proposition for them. Either he is claimed, so his cost and cap hit are gone, or he clears waivers and plays in Portland, which should (hopefully) sharpen his game up in case the Sabres need him.

4. This does seem to increase the likelihood that they will bring in someone via trade, since they will have additional cap space.

5. If Rivet is claimed, I think they will name a new captain. If he's not claimed, then probably not.

The reason Rivet was placed on waivers is obvious. The sabres are about to make a blockbuster trade to bring in their new captain, Dustin Brown.

Archived