Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

How are we in the same position either way?

i'm not looking at my post (lazy), but i didn't mean to suggest that we'd be in the exact same position regardless of whether we shipped all of our impending FA's or kept them. it was your reference to flexibility that led me to infer that you were talking about having space on the roster to acquire other players this off-season -- from that standpoint, whether our impending-FA's stay or go before july 1, there's no difference.

but you're quite right to say that there's a difference vis-a-vis getting picks for the vets before 2-28-11. i happen to think that you're over-estimating and over-valuing the market for those guys. but i take your point.

Thank you. At least one other person is willing too have an open mind about it.

hey - wait a sec - you talkin' to me?! ;)

I am enjoying the hell out of watching the games but it feels like a house of cards.

i had the exact same thought last night.

PS For all those who want to point at what the Flyers did when they snuck in on the last day of the season, STOP IT. That team was loaded with talent, underachieved all season long and then decided they wanted to play up to their talent level come playoff time...Richards, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, Gagne, Pronger, etc...

Nobody thinks this team is the Flyers, but that doesn't mean Buffalo can't do the same thing. I think we can all agree that Buffalo, as much as everyone hates Darcy and apparently every soul to ever where a Sabres uniform since 06, has underachieved all season long. Now they're playing up to their talent level and winning tough games against good opponents. Montreal doesn't scare me. Boston doesn't scare me. The Rangers certainly don't scare me. Despite blowing a 2-0 lead against Pittsburgh last week, they don't scare me in a best of 7 without Malkin or Crosby, which could very well be the case in the playoffs. Tampa doesn't scare me in a best of 7. Washington and Philly I don't want to play, but that doesn't mean we can't beat them, either. We have a huge advantage in goal over both those teams.

IMO Center depth WILL be the reason the Sabres fail (if they fail). I don't believe that Byron can maintain his current level of play. We have a checking forward centering our top scorer already. When Byron stumbles we can only replace him with another checking forward. And that depth sure isn't going to improve if TC gets moved like most of us expect/want. The PP has been hot but is it sustainable? And will it be enough to overcome the inevitable drop in even strength scoring as the playoffs get closer?

I am enjoying the hell out of watching the games but it feels like a house of cards.

The center depth point is fair, but Vanek and Pommer are playing their best hockey of the season with Hecht centering them. It helps to have a grownup around.

As for a house of cards -- these haven't been fluky wins. They beat Boston and Montreal back-to-back a couple of weeks ago with passion and execution. Last night's game was one that the October Sabres would have given up on and run for the bus. This team kept playing hard and let the other team crumble.

This team isn't a contender, but they are good enough to make the playoffs and good enough to beat anyone except Philly (and possibly Pittsburgh) in the first round.

i'm not looking at my post (lazy), but i didn't mean to suggest that we'd be in the exact same position regardless of whether we shipped all of our impending FA's or kept them. it was your reference to flexibility that led me to infer that you were talking about having space on the roster to acquire other players this off-season -- from that standpoint, whether our impending-FA's stay or go before july 1, there's no difference.

but you're quite right to say that there's a difference vis-a-vis getting picks for the vets before 2-28-11. i happen to think that you're over-estimating and over-valuing the market for those guys. but i take your point.

hey - wait a sec - you talkin' to me?! ;)

i had the exact same thought last night.

i don't care for draft picks. i want them to trade their first rounder, throw in a second rounder if it sweetens the pot. with kassian and foligno expected to push for a roster spot next year, byron looking okay (not great by any means), and vanek/pommer/roy/ennis locked up along with gerbe and stafford hopefully early in the RFA process. im just saying picks and prospects shouldn't be the most important thing this year. i know pegula will want to draft his own selection of players but we have a strong core of forwards, a strong core of defenders, and a world class goaltender. we're literally one or two UFA signings and a trade or two away from being serious contenders. but that window of opportunity won't be open long and imo the Sabres can sacrifice a few picks from a weak draft class this year for a chance to win the cup in the next 2 or 3 years.

unless pegula plans on leaving within 5 years there'll be plenty of time to draft and groom his crop of players, who will come in to fill the voids when Miller is in his twilight, Vanek and Roy's contracts are expiring, etc etc.

...we have a strong core of forwards, a strong core of defenders, and a world class goaltender.

Yet somehow the Sabres have been on the outside looking in(9th place or lower) for the better part of the season. Maybe you should rethink your use of the words "strong" & "world class". ;)

PS For all those who want to point at what the Flyers did when they snuck in on the last day of the season, STOP IT. That team was loaded with talent, underachieved all season long and then decided they wanted to play up to their talent level come playoff time...Richards, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, Gagne, Pronger, etc...

I wonder how many people are seriously considering this option. This season is pretty much a wash, especially since there really is no time for the new regime to take over. At this point, I view the playoffs the same way I view overtime, bonus hockey. Regardless of what route they take to get there, I'd much rather see this team make it and then have an early first round exit instead of just missing out. It's good for the kids and they're not going to go through some crazy series of rentals to get there.

I wonder how many people are seriously considering this option. This season is pretty much a wash, especially since there really is no time for the new regime to take over. At this point, I view the playoffs the same way I view overtime, bonus hockey. Regardless of what route they take to get there, I'd much rather see this team make it and then have an early first round exit instead of just missing out. It's good for the kids and they're not going to go through some crazy series of rentals to get there.

Now that is a post about this years' playoffs that makes sense. :clapping:

Yet somehow the Sabres have been on the outside looking in(9th place or lower) for the better part of the season. Maybe you should rethink your use of the words "strong" & "world class". ;)

Maybe you should acknowledge my use of the word "core." Not all of our forwards are perfect, and not all of our defense is perfect. Whatever your opinion on Miller is, I'll admit I'm not his biggest fan, but you're not going to find anybody better than him any time soon. He is top 10 in the world no doubt.

Now, back to the core. I don't know how you don't think Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Foligno provide a good CORE of offense for Buffalo. Unfortunately they are brought down by slugs such as Grier, hecht, gaustad, connolly, and neidermayer, and with Kaleta oft injured and Pominville not producing the offensive it becomes hard to roll four effective lines. Are they still in need of a top line center? Yes. Are they still in need of a scoring winger? Yes. But with most of the aforementioned slugs on their way out of town, there will be plenty of money to spend to acquire these two missing pieces.

Defensively, you can't even argue that Myers, Weber, Montador and Leopold have all impressed this year. They've been stellar.

That's a hell of a core, in my opinion. If you'd rather they blow everything or trade all these guys away and spend the next 5 seasons waiting for Stafford-like prospects to develop only to be given away once they beginning playing to their potential, then so be it. I would rather they build off of the core they have now.

Also, back to your original quote, just refer to your own post about Philly. They were on the outside looking in most of the season and made the finals. I'd love to hear you spew to me that briere/richards/carter/giroux/etc aren't a good core either.

I love the playoffs. I would rather the Sabres make it than don't. I also don't think it would make a lick of difference in improving the team in the offseason. There are teams that perrenially make the playoffs and are good year after year( :blink: ). Unless you have one of the first 3 or 4 picks, the rest are a crap shoot. Tanking the season, or "selling" just doesn't make any sense to me.

THE ONLY "STRONG" OR "WORLD CLASS" WE HAVE ON THIS TEAM IS MILLER, AND WE HAVE BEEN WORKING HIM HARD ALL YEAR SO THE CHANCE OF HIM GETTING INJURED IN THE PLAYOFFS IS EXTREMELY HIGH, AND GOD FORBID WE HAVE TO THROW IN LALIME IN A PLAYOFF SERIES AGAINST THE PENS OR THE FLYERS...

OUR D IS AVEREAGE AT BEST, WITH OUR ONLY TRUE BRIGHT SPOT BEING THE PLAY OF JORDAN LEOPOLD. OTHER THAN THAT, WITH TYLER MYERS'S SOPHOMORE SLUMP OUR D IS NOTHING SPECIAL...

AS FOR OUR FRONT END, HAVE WE FORGOTTEN OUR STERLING PERFORMANCE AGAINST THE MIGHTY MIGHTY (TINGE OF SARCASM) BRUINS LAST YEAR? THIS GROUP IS WAY TOO STREAKY I PREDICT THAT THEY WILL BE BACK TO THEIR MEDIOCRE WAYS BY THE TIME THEY LEAVE FLORIDA...

sorry about the caps lock BTW :oops:

THE ONLY "STRONG" OR "WORLD CLASS" WE HAVE ON THIS TEAM IS MILLER, AND WE HAVE BEEN WORKING HIM HARD ALL YEAR SO THE CHANCE OF HIM GETTING INJURED IN THE PLAYOFFS IS EXTREMELY HIGH, AND GOD FORBID WE HAVE TO THROW IN LALIME IN A PLAYOFF SERIES AGAINST THE PENS OR THE FLYERS...

OUR D IS AVEREAGE AT BEST, WITH OUR ONLY TRUE BRIGHT SPOT BEING THE PLAY OF JORDAN LEOPOLD. OTHER THAN THAT, WITH TYLER MYERS'S SOPHOMORE SLUMP OUR D IS NOTHING SPECIAL...

AS FOR OUR FRONT END, HAVE WE FORGOTTEN OUR STERLING PERFORMANCE AGAINST THE MIGHTY MIGHTY (TINGE OF SARCASM) BRUINS LAST YEAR? THIS GROUP IS WAY TOO STREAKY I PREDICT THAT THEY WILL BE BACK TO THEIR MEDIOCRE WAYS BY THE TIME THEY LEAVE FLORIDA...

sorry about the caps lock BTW :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure you can call Kassian and Foligno as any kind of core, world class or otherwise, before they've ever played their 1st professional game.

Just sayin'...

Did you even read my original post? Kassian and Foligno were hardly the focal points of my message in this thread.

I never called anybody besides Miller world class. Kassian and Foligno are the two prospects with the most likelihood of making the team next season. I would put both of them ahead of Byron, who has played well enough to stay in the lineup for a few weeks now. Regardless, my point is Buffalo has the pieces in place and enough prospects ready to fill in. They don't need to trade everybody away and load up on as many picks as possible like everyone seems to think is the only option.. I don't want more prospects who we won't hear from for at least 2-3 years. Trade those picks and acquire a goal scorer or a #1 center that can help the team RIGHT NOW or in the off-season.

Did you even read my original post? Kassian and Foligno were hardly the focal points of my message in this thread.

I never called anybody besides Miller world class. Kassian and Foligno are the two prospects with the most likelihood of making the team next season. I would put both of them ahead of Byron, who has played well enough to stay in the lineup for a few weeks now. Regardless, my point is Buffalo has the pieces in place and enough prospects ready to fill in. They don't need to trade everybody away and load up on as many picks as possible like everyone seems to think is the only option.. I don't want more prospects who we won't hear from for at least 2-3 years. Trade those picks and acquire a goal scorer or a #1 center that can help the team RIGHT NOW or in the off-season.

I wasn't replying to your original post. I was replying to this.

Now, back to the core. I don't know how you don't think Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Foligno provide a good CORE of offense for Buffalo.

No need to get defensive.

I love the playoffs. I would rather the Sabres make it than don't. I also don't think it would make a lick of difference in improving the team in the offseason. There are teams that perrenially make the playoffs and are good year after year( :blink: ). Unless you have one of the first 3 or 4 picks, the rest are a crap shoot. Tanking the season, or "selling" just doesn't make any sense to me.

It's probably a bit cliche, but any playoff experience for some of the younger guys has to be a good thing.

You really need to lighten up a bit. There's no need to treat every single poster as if they're deluca.

Then people should read my posts instead of randomly choosing one sentence or phrase, quoting it out of context and questioning the integrity of the statement when I've already explained it fully two posts before hand. Everyone just ignores the whole premise of my post and jumps on one miniscule detail and tries to start a whole argument about it, just to argue. It's like the dude who sat there for 2 pages telling me Pominville never played the point on the PP in 05/06/07 when the whole point of my posts was that Pominville shouldn't be running the PP.

Then people should read my posts instead of randomly choosing one sentence or phrase, quoting it out of context and questioning the integrity of the statement when I've already explained it fully two posts before hand. Everyone just ignores the whole premise of my post and jumps on one miniscule detail and tries to start a whole argument about it, just to argue. It's like the dude who sat there for 2 pages telling me Pominville never played the point on the PP in 05/06/07 when the whole point of my posts was that Pominville shouldn't be running the PP.

Dude. It is a public access internet forum. You aren't going to control what gets replied to. It isn't personal. And it happens every day.

I thought I was the relative new guy here. <_<

I didn't say that I wanted the Sabres to miss the playoffs. I was disagreeing with those who believe that the Sabres can make a deep run like the Flyers did last season.

Then you should state your point more clearly because I read the same thing Weave did and had the same reaction. When you said "I don't know how you don't think Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Foligno provide a good CORE of offense for Buffalo" I thought WTF are you talking about? Well, Vanek, Roy and Stafford, sure. Ennis, maybe. Gerbe is lucky to be in the NHL right now, and Kassian and Foligno aren't, and very well might not be next year. Citing those three as part of an indisputably good (you initially used the word strong) core of offense may very well provoke a contrary response.

I had the same response when you said "Defensively, you can't even argue that Myers, Weber, Montador and Leopold have all impressed this year. They've been stellar. " No they haven't. Myers has been so-so, and Lindy has admitted he has thought about benching him. Everyone wanted to run Weber back to Portland 2 months ago, and he spent most of october and november in the press box. Montador has good plays and plays where you say WTF! Leopold's offensive numbers have been a pleasant surprise, but his defensive zone play is nothing special. Have they impressed? No. Are they "stellar" as you claim? No.

Those observations are the foundation on which you make your point. Don't be surprised when people point out the failings of your foundation. An argument based on bull spit is a bull spit argument.

Oh, and lighten up Francis. Its not a personal attack every time someone disagrees with you.

ESPN INSIDER TODAY:

"More out of necessity than desire, Garth Snow is working on a trade for a goaltender, according to Darren Dreger of TSN.ca

Considering the loss of Dwayne Roloson to trade, Nathan Lawson, Rick DiPietro and Kevin Poulin to injury, and Evgeni Nabokov to stubborn anger at being claimed off waivers, this news comes as no surprise.

It's hardly fair to rely on young Mikko Koskinen to shoulder the load. The 22-year-old is not nearly ready.

As for what Snow is seeking, Dreger reports the GM isn't exactly thinking "blockbuster":

"Although there is nothing imminent, sources say Snow is trying to make a 'soft' deal which is to say he won't be including high draft picks or valued prospects to bring help to his crease".

In other words, Snow just wants to have a warm body in place between the pipes to ride out the rest of the season as respectably as possible."

Would this not be a pretty good oppurtunity to unload some dead weight for some draft picks?

Maybe trade Lalime and perhaps Rivet for a second and third rounder (the Islander's picks are going to be like gold the way their season is going) and call up Enroth? I liked what I saw while he was up here...

Thoughts?

WOW!

Archived