Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

I didn't say that I wanted the Sabres to miss the playoffs. I was disagreeing with those who believe that the Sabres can make a deep run like the Flyers did last season.

Certainly you are right that last year's Flyers team was a much better and deeper team than the Sabres are this year. Still, though, it really depends on the matchups, innit? Do you see anyone in the EC other than Philly (and Pittsburgh if Crosby is healthy) that the Sabres couldn't beat? TB is currently #2 in the EC. That game last night shouldn't have deteriorated into a blowout, but the Sabres won all the same -- do you think the Sabres couldn't beat them in a 7-game series? Montreal? Boston?

Then you should state your point more clearly because I read the same thing Weave did and had the same reaction. When you said "I don't know how you don't think Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Foligno provide a good CORE of offense for Buffalo" I thought WTF are you talking about? Well, Vanek, Roy and Stafford, sure. Ennis, maybe. Gerbe is lucky to be in the NHL right now, and Kassian and Foligno aren't, and very well might not be next year. Citing those three as part of an indisputably good (you initially used the word strong) core of offense may very well provoke a contrary response.

I had the same response when you said "Defensively, you can't even argue that Myers, Weber, Montador and Leopold have all impressed this year. They've been stellar. " No they haven't. Myers has been so-so, and Lindy has admitted he has thought about benching him. Everyone wanted to run Weber back to Portland 2 months ago, and he spent most of october and november in the press box. Montador has good plays and plays where you say WTF! Leopold's offensive numbers have been a pleasant surprise, but his defensive zone play is nothing special. Have they impressed? No. Are they "stellar" as you claim? No.

Those observations are the foundation on which you make your point. Don't be surprised when people point out the failings of your foundation. An argument based on bull spit is a bull spit argument.

Oh, and lighten up Francis. Its not a personal attack every time someone disagrees with you.

Yes it is! It's even worse than when mom makes him make his bed!

ESPN INSIDER TODAY:

"More out of necessity than desire, Garth Snow is working on a trade for a goaltender, according to Darren Dreger of TSN.ca

Considering the loss of Dwayne Roloson to trade, Nathan Lawson, Rick DiPietro and Kevin Poulin to injury, and Evgeni Nabokov to stubborn anger at being claimed off waivers, this news comes as no surprise.

It's hardly fair to rely on young Mikko Koskinen to shoulder the load. The 22-year-old is not nearly ready.

As for what Snow is seeking, Dreger reports the GM isn't exactly thinking "blockbuster":

"Although there is nothing imminent, sources say Snow is trying to make a 'soft' deal which is to say he won't be including high draft picks or valued prospects to bring help to his crease".

In other words, Snow just wants to have a warm body in place between the pipes to ride out the rest of the season as respectably as possible."

Would this not be a pretty good oppurtunity to unload some dead weight for some draft picks?

Maybe trade Lalime and perhaps Rivet for a second and third rounder (the Islander's picks are going to be like gold the way their season is going) and call up Enroth? I liked what I saw while he was up here...

Thoughts?

Yes, please. If Regier gets a 2nd and 3rd for LaLoss and Rivet, he should go to prison for Grand Larceny.

-- do you think the Sabres couldn't beat them in a 7-game series? Montreal? Boston?

Which version of Miller will be in the playoffs? This years or last years? BIG difference.

That being said, I don't think the Sabres could beat Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, Montreal or Boston IF they make the playoffs.

ESPN INSIDER TODAY:

"More out of necessity than desire, Garth Snow is working on a trade for a goaltender, according to Darren Dreger of TSN.ca

Considering the loss of Dwayne Roloson to trade, Nathan Lawson, Rick DiPietro and Kevin Poulin to injury, and Evgeni Nabokov to stubborn anger at being claimed off waivers, this news comes as no surprise.

It's hardly fair to rely on young Mikko Koskinen to shoulder the load. The 22-year-old is not nearly ready.

As for what Snow is seeking, Dreger reports the GM isn't exactly thinking "blockbuster":

"Although there is nothing imminent, sources say Snow is trying to make a 'soft' deal which is to say he won't be including high draft picks or valued prospects to bring help to his crease".

In other words, Snow just wants to have a warm body in place between the pipes to ride out the rest of the season as respectably as possible."

Would this not be a pretty good oppurtunity to unload some dead weight for some draft picks?

Maybe trade Lalime and perhaps Rivet for a second and third rounder (the Islander's picks are going to be like gold the way their season is going) and call up Enroth? I liked what I saw while he was up here...

Thoughts?

Yes, please. If Regier gets a 2nd and 3rd for LaLoss and Rivet, he should go to prison for Grand Larceny.

There is NFW anyone -- even the Islanders -- is going to give the Sabres anything for either Lalime or Rivet.

Which version of Miller will be in the playoffs? This years or last years? BIG difference.

That being said, I don't think the Sabres could beat Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, Montreal or Boston IF they make the playoffs.

Sheeeeeeeesh. Years of heartbreak and betrayal have left you skeptical.

It's OK -- the next few months will be that much better for you.

Also, last year's Miller played OK but not great and got bounced in the first round.

Certainly you are right that last year's Flyers team was a much better and deeper team than the Sabres are this year. Still, though, it really depends on the matchups, innit? Do you see anyone in the EC other than Philly (and Pittsburgh if Crosby is healthy) that the Sabres couldn't beat? TB is currently #2 in the EC. That game last night shouldn't have deteriorated into a blowout, but the Sabres won all the same -- do you think the Sabres couldn't beat them in a 7-game series? Montreal? Boston?

Tampa would blow Buffalo out in a 7 game series. I watched that whole game last night and Tampa dominated much of it. Lindy had the defense gambling all night just to try and keep pace. Roloson and Downie lost their #### and the team had a meltdown and said F-it.

When you have to gamble just to try and stick around with a team, it doesn't bode well long term. I could beat Tiger Woods over 3 holes of golf if I get the right 3 holes and play flawless while Tiger is thinking about the $4 million alimony check he has to write in a few hours.

Miller was on GR the other day saying his body was crying out for a break going into the All-Star game. Lindy's use of him will always be the weakest link. Until that philosophy changes, we will always be also-rans when it matters.

Then you should state your point more clearly because I read the same thing Weave did and had the same reaction. When you said "I don't know how you don't think Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Foligno provide a good CORE of offense for Buffalo" I thought WTF are you talking about? Well, Vanek, Roy and Stafford, sure. Ennis, maybe. Gerbe is lucky to be in the NHL right now, and Kassian and Foligno aren't, and very well might not be next year. Citing those three as part of an indisputably good (you initially used the word strong) core of offense may very well provoke a contrary response.

I had the same response when you said "Defensively, you can't even argue that Myers, Weber, Montador and Leopold have all impressed this year. They've been stellar. " No they haven't. Myers has been so-so, and Lindy has admitted he has thought about benching him. Everyone wanted to run Weber back to Portland 2 months ago, and he spent most of october and november in the press box. Montador has good plays and plays where you say WTF! Leopold's offensive numbers have been a pleasant surprise, but his defensive zone play is nothing special. Have they impressed? No. Are they "stellar" as you claim? No.

Those observations are the foundation on which you make your point. Don't be surprised when people point out the failings of your foundation. An argument based on bull spit is a bull spit argument.

Oh, and lighten up Francis. Its not a personal attack every time someone disagrees with you.

Ennis gets a "maybe" and Gerbe's "lucky" to be in the NHL? Ennis creates more opportunities with his speed and hands than any other Sabre on the team and he's done it all season. He doesn't have the goal scorers touch but is by far the team's best playmaker. Gerbe has also been solid, much more effective than Grier Hecht and Neidermayer combined. Like Ennis, he isn't a pure goal scorer like Vanek and Stafford are, but he makes plays. He goes to the corners and wins battles consistently. Kassian and Foligno aren't in the NHL because they weren't eligible to be once they returned to juniors. Then they were Team Canada's best players besides Ellis the whole jrs tournament. Half the board considered Kassian a shoe-in to make the team this year, so I would expect many to agree he has a good chance of making the roster next year.

Myers has been much better lately and you're putting way too much stock in his early season struggles, but regardless, do you really think that Myers isn't a part of the "core" on defense? Weber made critical mistake in November that led to an overtime goal against. That's been my only complaint with him all season long. Anyone who wanted to run Weber back to Portland has clearly forgotten just over a year ago when the team's biggest issue was lack of grit and physicality. Montador still leads (or near the lead) the league in +/-, that speaks for itself, and Leopold is providing desperately needed offense from the back end.

I also find it ironic that you keep telling me they aren't personal attacks, yet thread after thread you take offense to my posts and feel the need to say something.

Kassian and Foligno aren't in the NHL because they weren't eligible to be once they returned to juniors. Then they were Team Canada's best players besides Ellis the whole jrs tournament.

Jack...I know you will get your panties in a wad because I am commenting on only a couple of sentences of your post, but you need to take off the blue and gold sunglasses if you think that Kassian and Foligno were the best players on the Canadian squad other than Ellis.

Jack...I know you will get your panties in a wad because I am commenting on only a couple of sentences of your post, but you need to take off the blue and gold sunglasses if you think that Kassian and Foligno were the best players on the Canadian squad other than Ellis.

Ok I forgot Brayden Schenn. But he is seriously the only other player that played better than Kassian and Foligno all tournament.

There is NFW anyone -- even the Islanders -- is going to give the Sabres anything for either Lalime or Rivet.

This is the team that signed dipietro to a 15 year contract, so it is definitely worth a shot.....ANY picks i would take, Enroth is ready and they will be good picks coming from the islanders

I also find it ironic that you keep telling me they aren't personal attacks, yet thread after thread you take offense to my posts and feel the need to say something.

kid, calm the funk down. this is a message board. if you stake out a position, expect people to pick it apart. that's one of the main purposes of any message board: healthy, respectful debate.

and by healthy and respectful, i mean the opposite of this.

You're all a bunch of ###### goons.

you've had a lot of interesting things to say. just because you're taking your lumps on ill-founded matters of opinion, don't take it personally and don't let it keep you away.

Ennis gets a "maybe" and Gerbe's "lucky" to be in the NHL? Ennis creates more opportunities with his speed and hands than any other Sabre on the team and he's done it all season. He doesn't have the goal scorers touch but is by far the team's best playmaker. Gerbe has also been solid, much more effective than Grier Hecht and Neidermayer combined. Like Ennis, he isn't a pure goal scorer like Vanek and Stafford are, but he makes plays. He goes to the corners and wins battles consistently. Kassian and Foligno aren't in the NHL because they weren't eligible to be once they returned to juniors. Then they were Team Canada's best players besides Ellis the whole jrs tournament. Half the board considered Kassian a shoe-in to make the team this year, so I would expect many to agree he has a good chance of making the roster next year.

Myers has been much better lately and you're putting way too much stock in his early season struggles, but regardless, do you really think that Myers isn't a part of the "core" on defense? Weber made critical mistake in November that led to an overtime goal against. That's been my only complaint with him all season long. Anyone who wanted to run Weber back to Portland has clearly forgotten just over a year ago when the team's biggest issue was lack of grit and physicality. Montador still leads (or near the lead) the league in +/-, that speaks for itself, and Leopold is providing desperately needed offense from the back end.

Now that's better. You won't generate as much animosity if you make your point without the vitriol.

Was this really necessary?

I agree Labatt.

It's overstatements of opinion, claimed to be fact, that will cause people to respond and poke at the underpinnings of your argument, Jack. You do it repeatedly, and people respond, which is why you feel people are picking on you. If you don't want people to read your posts with a critical mind and eye, and don't want them to poke at the underpinnings of your arguments, you are on the wrong board.

This. And I don't feel all that confident about Tampa either.

I think the Tampa win was a bit fluke-y so I don't put a ton of stock in it. Yeah, they didn't give up and they did what they had to do, but I wasn't really anticipating a win when Stafford fell and took Rollie with him. If Rollie keeps his composure and Downie doesn't melt down that game does not end anything like it did. that game was going down to the wire with Buffalo doing all it could to try and pull it out of their a$$es.

what did someone type up-thread of this? it's good to have a grown-up around.

Yes it is! It's even worse than when mom makes him make his bed!

kid, calm the funk down. this is a message board. if you stake out a position, expect people to pick it apart. that's one of the main purposes of any message board: healthy, respectful debate.

and by healthy and respectful, i mean the opposite of this.

you've had a lot of interesting things to say. just because you're taking your lumps on ill-founded matters of opinion, don't take it personally and don't let it keep you away.

Somebody needs a time out.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA your little kid jokes are all so original and funny!! :rolleyes:

Cant take the heat, stay the hell outta the kitchen home skillet!

Nobody is trying to hurt your feelings, this is a casual hockey talk forum, half of what is said on here is BS it is all for entertainment value while we should be using our work computer for work

Ok I forgot Brayden Schenn. But he is seriously the only other player that played better than Kassian and Foligno all tournament.

I would also put Couturier, and particularly Johansen, in front of Kassian and Foligno. Frankly, I would put Foligno in front of Kassian. The hit and suspension seemed to take the wind out of Kassian's sails. He is too much of a man to be playing against juniors - Can't wait to see him in Portland when the junior season ends.

This. And I don't feel all that confident about Tampa either.

I think the Tampa win was a bit fluke-y so I don't put a ton of stock in it. Yeah, they didn't give up and they did what they had to do, but I wasn't really anticipating a win when Stafford fell and took Rollie with him. If Rollie keeps his composure and Downie doesn't melt down that game does not end anything like it did. that game was going down to the wire with Buffalo doing all it could to try and pull it out of their a$$es.

FWIW Here are the results from the last 7 games against Tampa Bay (I didn't choose 7 based on a series length, it's every time we've played them the past 2 seasons):

10/24/09 Sabres @ Lightning: 3-2 W (SO)

1/6/10 Lightning @ Sabres: 5-3 W

3/18/10 Sabres @ Lightning: 6-2 W

3/27/10 Lightning @ Sabres: 7-1 W

11/20/10 Lightning @ Sabres: 1-2 L

12/18/10 Sabres @ Lightning: 1-3 L (last goal was an empty netter)

2/8/11 Sabres @ Lightning: 7-4 W

Trend seems to be A.) Buffalo historically has dominated Tampa, B.) We outscore them by a lot, and C.) They beat us twice by 1 goal during the worst stretch of Sabres hockey I can recall since the lockout.

Also, their goaltending sucks.

Archived