Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

Which Sabres would other teams want? I can't think of one.

i realize there is some discontent with the two-time 40 goal scoring kid on the team who's still only 26, but i can imagine someone (with at least one good play-making center on their team) would take him off the sabres' hands.

and frankly, at this point, i would still be sad to see him leave. however, if it snags them something like the next briere (and not just cap space), i'm all for it. it's been done before, it could happen again. obviously, i'd prefer the next sakic or forsberg, but how often does that happen?

i realize there is some discontent with the two-time 40 goal scoring kid on the team who's still only 26, but i can imagine someone (with at least one good play-making center on their team) would take him off the sabres' hands

I guess I should have excluded vanek, myers and miller.

I could see someone taking TC as a rental and possibly even Hecht (although he has another year on his contract). Not Pommer though -- we are stuck with that albatross unless Pegula wants to buy him out.

Can't they send him to Portland and another team can get him off of re-entry waivers for half price? If so? I say do it.

Can't they send him to Portland and another team can get him off of re-entry waivers for half price? If so? I say do it.

I would agree, except that (i) it would mean flushing over $8MM (and about $10MM if they did it right now), and I have a hard time seeing Pegula or any Sabres owner doing this and (ii) according to Capgeek, Pommer has a no-movement clause, so he can't be sent down.

I'll say it again: assuming the Drury/Briere decision was not made by DR, the Pommer contract was by far the worst mistake DR has ever made.

I would agree, except that (i) it would mean flushing over $8MM (and about $10MM if they did it right now), and I have a hard time seeing Pegula or any Sabres owner doing this and (ii) according to Capgeek, Pommer has a no-movement clause, so he can't be sent down.

I'll say it again: assuming the Drury/Briere decision was not made by DR, the Pommer contract was by far the worst mistake DR has ever made.

Except there's Mike Schopp's (and my) fantasy -- what if the Sabres owner didn't care about money, only winning? What if the only calculus to be done is: does this help us win a Cup?

Will it be done by the trade deadline?

Here's Kevin Dupont's take, the man who broke the story in the first place....

Terry Pegula, he who will own the Sabres, might take ownership along Lake Erie in less than 90 days. That’s a fast-moving storm, but they’re accustomed to that kind of blizzard in the Buff...

Link- http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2010/12/19/no_need_to_throw_a_blanket_over_linus/?page=4

Except there's Mike Schopp's (and my) fantasy -- what if the Sabres owner didn't care about money, only winning? What if the only calculus to be done is: does this help us win a Cup?

Overpaying an average forward by $3MM or so per year and thereby locking him in to your top 6 doesn't advance the Cup cause -- it impedes it.

Here's Kevin Dupont's take, the man who broke the story in the first place....

Link- http://www.boston.co...r_linus/?page=4

Good find. Thanks.

done deal.....

Hope so.

I hate to belabor the point, but there is no sourcing here at all. Not even a "Based on discussions I've had with league officials who wish to remain anonymous..."

I think with stories like this, the reporting starts feeding on itself.

My suspicion will be in line with shrader's suspicions about Bucky. These guys THINK it's a done deal and are trying to be out front with "reporting" that doesn't appear to be based in fact.

Some enterprising young hockey writer could really make a name for himself by "reporting" that the deal is in trouble and won't happen. No sources, of course. Roll the dice.

Hope so.

I hate to belabor the point, but there is no sourcing here at all. Not even a "Based on discussions I've had with league officials who wish to remain anonymous..."

My suspicion will be in line with shrader's suspicions about Bucky. These guys THINK it's a done deal and are trying to be out front with "reporting" that doesn't appear to be based in fact.

Some enterprising young hockey writer could really make a name for himself by "reporting" that the deal is in trouble and won't happen. No sources, of course. Roll the dice.

No, this guy had Pegula donating to Penn St before he even did so.....I think he has a 1st hand source.

I must have missed that one. Link?

Having trouble finding it because all the Sabres stuff is hitting even with Penn St search string. I looked the guy up though the day the Sabres blurb hit and he broke the Pegula Penn St thing for sure. That's why i got excited off the bat.

Dupont is no Johnny-come-lately. He won the HHOF award just like Jim Kelley and is a mainstay in New England. He also is quite versed in business/law issues pertaining to sports from the looks of it. He has to have a top source. This thing has felt solid to me from day 1.

didn't help much, but thanks....

Here is an article about Penn St. in September referencing Dupont getting a scoop that Pegula met with Bettman about purchasing an NHL team. There is another one floating out there though.

Pegula/Bettman

But that was after the official announcement at Penn State. According to the Boston Globe's archives, that was the first time Pegula was mentioned in a story by Kevin Dupont.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just the idea that we should believe Dupont because he "broke" the story about the gift to Penn State. I don't know why he'd be trying to break a story like that in the first place.

Did he meet with Bettman? What do we really know about this story for a fact? Almost nothing. There is plenty of chatter and smoke. It'll probably happen. That doesn't mean the reporting hasn't been full of bunk so far. We've had Pegula signing a letter of intent, going to the board of governors meeting, traveling to NYC to meet with Bettman...

I know, I'm repeating myself.

P.S. Bucky said during his chat on Thursday that "he heard" Pegula likes Ruff (likes him, not LIKE LIKES him). Really, what good does that "information" do for fans?

Someone wanted Gratton.

And along those same lines, someone wanted Holzinger and Primeau too (hell, someone even traded a league MVP for Primeau).

No, this guy had Pegula donating to Penn St before he even did so.....I think he has a 1st hand source.

I'm rolling in completely different circles than most on this one, but that Penn State thing had been floating around for a long time. I don't know who originally broke it, but I'd imagine it was someone at a much smaller level than DuPont.

And along those same lines, someone wanted Holzinger and Primeau too (hell, someone even traded a league MVP for Primeau).

I'm rolling in completely different circles than most on this one, but that Penn State thing had been floating around for a long time. I don't know who originally broke it, but I'd imagine it was someone at a much smaller level than DuPont.

Someone like a reporter at the Altoona Mirror, in August, maybe?

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/541062/Penn-State--close--to-adding-arena--Division-I-hockey.html?nav=746

Yeah, I saw that.

I know i saw something else, but the fact that Dupont had Pegula talking to Bettman in September before any of this came out, then broke the Sabres story....gives him +2 in my view. The story obviously has legs, and it passes the smell test to me.

I am pretty sure there was something else. When you googled Dupont Pegula the day it broke, there were like 4 articles. Now it's 20 pages of the same junk.

Just like the Sabres played games with Drury and got burned, they better not jerk this thing around. Quinn knows the fans are gone. He will get this done.

Hope so.

thesportsbuff.com reports the deal was a faux and golisano never seriously considered selling pegula the team. link here: www.justkiddingbros.com/sabres/pegula

Archived