Around the NHL 2010-2011

spndnchz

New York Times reports Rangers and Flyers in Philly for 2012 Winter Classic. Supposedly, the game will be played on Jan. 2nd.

Link

So dumb. If you can't do it on News Years Day in Philly then why not do it somewhere else! The NHL just bowed down to the superiority of the NFL. Garry Bettman is a joke. Wait another year to do Philly and come back next year when New Year's Day is not a sunday! :death:

So dumb. If you can't do it on News Years Day in Philly then why not do it somewhere else! The NHL just bowed down to the superiority of the NFL. Garry Bettman is a joke. Wait another year to do Philly and come back next year when New Year's Day is not a sunday! :death:

Is it really that big of a deal that they don't play the game on New Year's Day?

I'm more upset about College Football not being on that day, it's a little more traditional in terms of date value.

Thanks, everyone, for the contributions to this thread. Easy/quick to catch up on a few things!

Wow, $6.2 mil at 41 years old! It's tough not to respect Lidstrom.

Jagr making his way back to the NHL. His agent Petr Svoboda saying that Detroit, Pens and one other team are interested. Svoboda : ``He’s really decided he wants to play in the NHL and he’s excited about it. He’s ready for the challenge.’’

Had to look this up.... Jagr just turned 39.

RBC Center is no more. PNC Financial has acquired RBC Bank and there will be a name change for the arena.

Link

Let the pillaging.......CONTINUE!!!!

Check it out, no college bowl games on Jan. 1 this year, with the Rose Bowl on Jan. 2: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html Must be that Jan. 2 is an observed national holiday, off of work, etc. Regardless, why the :censored: Philly again?

Edit: looks like billscused beat me to it. It will be weird to wake up New Years Day and be like :unsure:??? followed by a Miller WTF wave.

Is it just me or has the winter classic run its course already? They're already giving it to the same teams year after year. What's the point of watching it at this point?

I'd agree that they could change the visitors around more than they do, but they haven't repeated any host cities yet and they really have a limited # of places that could pull the game off. (Basically Minny --> Filly / Baahston is the footprint.)

I actually like that they've been limiting it to cold weather teams w/ a history. It wouldn't seem right watching the Isles host the Yotes nursing a hangover.

I'd agree that they could change the visitors around more than they do, but they haven't repeated any host cities yet and they really have a limited # of places that could pull the game off. (Basically Minny --> Filly / Baahston is the footprint.)

I actually like that they've been limiting it to cold weather teams w/ a history. It wouldn't seem right watching the Isles host the Yotes nursing a hangover.

It definitely should be limited to cold weather teams, obviously that narrows the field significantly. At this point I wonder if it might be better if they took a few years off from time to time. I still like the idea of using it for the all star game instead. That way you don't have an actual game with meaning decided by potentially crappy conditions. You also get players from every team and draw more interest from the fans in warmer towns.

But yeah, then those warm weather cities would be mad that they could never host an all star game. Maybe you give them other events like the draft to replace it.

The problem isn't location; it has to do with broadcasting. NBC is playing the final week of the NFL season all day long on January 1 and isn't going to give that up for an interesting, but otherwise unimportant middle-of-the-season NHL game.

That being said though, Buffalo should be involved again, especially if Pitt was!

I would love to see the outdoor game hosted elsewhere where Buffalo goes in and beats someone there. Maybe a rematch between Buffalo and Pitt (I know Pitt already had 2)

Is it just me or has the winter classic run its course already? They're already giving it to the same teams year after year. What's the point of watching it at this point?

I think Buffalo watches even if the Sabres aren't playing.

The biggest ratings buck is having bigger market teams play to reel in an audience that wouldn't normally watch.

Not every movie is a blockbuster. That doesn't mean you stop going.

I love the Classic and will watch it wherever it is played.

It definitely should be limited to cold weather teams, obviously that narrows the field significantly. At this point I wonder if it might be better if they took a few years off from time to time. I still like the idea of using it for the all star game instead. That way you don't have an actual game with meaning decided by potentially crappy conditions. You also get players from every team and draw more interest from the fans in warmer towns.

But yeah, then those warm weather cities would be mad that they could never host an all star game. Maybe you give them other events like the draft to replace it.

When they 1st started it, I'd hoped it would be an every 3-4 year thing. But we supported that 1st 1 way too well, and there was no way they wouldn't do it every year.

The ASG wouldn't work for the reason you gave. Hosting the draft doesn't have anywhere close to the same level of panache nor $'s as hosting the ASG. Maybe you make the ASG an outdoor event in the northern host cities and indoor for the others.

When they 1st started it, I'd hoped it would be an every 3-4 year thing. But we supported that 1st 1 way too well, and there was no way they wouldn't do it every year.

The ASG wouldn't work for the reason you gave. Hosting the draft doesn't have anywhere close to the same level of panache nor $'s as hosting the ASG. Maybe you make the ASG an outdoor event in the northern host cities and indoor for the others.

That would take care of my thought that it's overdone by playing one each year. I like it.

The ASG wouldn't work for the reason you gave. Hosting the draft doesn't have anywhere close to the same level of panache nor s as hosting the ASG. Maybe you make the ASG an outdoor event in the northern host cities and indoor for the others.

Although the NHL wouldn't do it on account of $ and accommodations, I think it would be really cool to play the game in the most remote locations like the Yukon or Iqaluit. The intrigue of playing outside is stripping the game down, taking it back to youth. I say strip it down even more, de-commercialize it.

RBC Center is no more. PNC Financial has acquired RBC Bank and there will be a name change for the arena.

Link

So is that going to be part of their new tourism campaign: Pillage North Carolina? :beer:

Or is that "Pillage North Carolina Ya'll" ;)

(And, yes, I know that the correct way to shorten that would be y'all, but I've seen it done the other way far too often not to have fun w/ the 'red neck' version of its spelling. And when ever I see that, I want to ask the person who wrote it just what exactly 'ya' is short for? :doh: )

Jagr making his way back to the NHL. His agent Petr Svoboda saying that Detroit, Pens and one other team are interested. Svoboda : ``He’s really decided he wants to play in the NHL and he’s excited about it. He’s ready for the challenge.’’

TSN says the mystery team is Montreal.

So is that going to be part of their new tourism campaign: Pillage North Carolina? :beer:

Or is that "Pillage North Carolina Ya'll" ;)

(And, yes, I know that the correct way to shorten that would be y'all, but I've seen it done the other way far too often not to have fun w/ the 'red neck' version of its spelling. And when ever I see that, I want to ask the person who wrote it just what exactly 'ya' is short for? :doh: )

:lol: YES!

Archived