Around the NHL 2010-2011

spndnchz

Dave Lewis (defensive coach) and Rod Brind’Amour (forward coach) added to Canes coaching staff. Ron Francis named director of hockey operations (assistant GM).

So bumping the current assistants to new roles? You have to believe that Paul Maurice is on a short string with Jim Rutherford.

TSNBobMcKenzie

PHX trades Bryzgalov's rights to PHI.

TSNBobMcKenzie

PHX gets 3rd rd pick in 2012 plus future considerations.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368190

DarrenDreger

Bryzgalov wants to be paid as a top player...not just a top goalie. Demands too rich for Yotes.

Wow. They have 7 FA's and if you assume a cap of $62 they will only have $3.4M to spend. There will be moves. Philly has said that they are not moving their forwards. Anyone intersted in Timmonen or Mezaros? And I'm thinking htey can't re-sign Ville Lieno.

Wow. They have 7 FA's and if you assume a cap of $62 they will only have $3.4M to spend. There will be moves. Philly has said that they are not moving their forwards. Anyone intersted in Timmonen or Mezaros? And I'm thinking htey can't re-sign Ville Lieno.

Might be tough to move Timonen due to the NMC. If they're not moving any forwards leaves Carle, Coburn, & Meszaros as options to be moved. Also, one of Bobrovsky or Leighton will be sent to AHL. So all they'd likely have to do is trade one of those Dmen.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)

Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)

James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Ian Laperriere ($1.166m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.725m) / Daniel Carcillo ($1.075m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)

Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)

/ Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS

Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.000m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,019,155; BONUSES: $1,700,000

CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $1,480,845

Dropped Coburn, assuming they'd trade him for a cheaper Dman.

I've seen a lot of posts predicting the cap will be ~$62MM next year. If the new TV deal is going to bring in ~$4MM extra per team next year, that $62MM assumes essentially no revenue growth yty except for the TV deal.

What am I missing here?

I've seen a lot of posts predicting the cap will be ~$62MM next year. If the new TV deal is going to bring in ~$4MM extra per team next year, that $62MM assumes essentially no revenue growth yty except for the TV deal.

What am I missing here?

The NHLPA has told agents that the union "projects a salary cap of approximately $62.2 million next season if the players vote to trigger the 5-percent escalator," according to Larry Brooks of the N.Y. POST. That represents an increase of $2.8M from the current $59.4M cap, or approximately 4.7%. It means that the NHL's "'record' revenues have not increased by the 5 percent the players voted to bump the cap for this season," and the cap "would remain flat or even decrease slightly for the first time if the players opt not to adopt the inflator for next season." This is a "preliminary number recently given to the agents in the union's 'marketplace' assessment that could change slightly depending upon the revenue generated in the playoffs."
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/04/11/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NHL-Cap.aspx?hl=NHL&sc=0

not gonna happen but I would love to trade for Pronger.

Even Regier....Rutherford probably has 7 years on him. Rutherford is the king of the mid-level move, and does a great job of managing the salary cap in a non-hockey market.

He's good.

Now your just teasing me with a possible Regier exit.

I've been waiting 12 seasons for him to go and had just settled into the mind set that I'll have to except 2020 or his death, which ever comes first, as his depature as the Sabres GM.

TEASE! :nana:

TSNBobMcKenzie

PHX trades Bryzgalov's rights to PHI.

TSNBobMcKenzie

PHX gets 3rd rd pick in 2012 plus future considerations.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368190

DarrenDreger

Bryzgalov wants to be paid as a top player...not just a top goalie. Demands too rich for Yotes.

Rumor is he turned down nine years, $60 million from Phoenix before being dealt to Philly. That's 6.67 per year for those with no calculator handy.

I also hear he is standing hard on the money, not location.

Wouldn't that be cool if the Phlyers couldn't work out a deal w/ him?

(I know they'll get it done, but it would be kind of cool to see them throw away that 3rd.)

Wouldn't that be cool if the Phlyers couldn't work out a deal w/ him?

(I know they'll get it done, but it would be kind of cool to see them throw away that 3rd.)

I'd much rather see them break the bank on him, and be forced to watch some of their young, talented forwards walk in the coming years.

Archived