Around the NHL 2010-2011

spndnchz

I'd much rather see them break the bank on him, and be forced to watch some of their young, talented forwards walk in the coming years.

I wouldn't. That team can let a couple of forwards walk and will still be dangerous in the offensive zone. (And they seem to have a great eye for finding young forwards, unfortunately, so it probably won't take them long to restock any losses.) W/ a goalie, they become the team to beat IMHO.

While my 1st choice would be for them to be another Isles or Loafs; I prefer them being the East's Snarks (strong team that I don't see winning it all as currently constituted) than being the favorites. As long as they continue to get Sieve-rovski's to tend the pipes, Snarks it is.

I wouldn't. That team can let a couple of forwards walk and will still be dangerous in the offensive zone. (And they seem to have a great eye for finding young forwards, unfortunately, so it probably won't take them long to restock any losses.) W/ a goalie, they become the team to beat IMHO.

While my 1st choice would be for them to be another Isles or Loafs; I prefer them being the East's Snarks (strong team that I don't see winning it all as currently constituted) than being the favorites. As long as they continue to get Sieve-rovski's to tend the pipes, Snarks it is.

But 6.67 mill. is still a heckuva lot of money.

they would need to restock with come cheap guys, and yes I agree, they seem good at finding and developing them.

Much better than the Sabres anyway, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing them in cap trouble, so we could perhaps pick up one or two of their forwards.

That said, I have full confidence in the Flyers' ability to mess up when it comes to filling that goalie spot.

But 6.67 mill. is still a heckuva lot of money.

they would need to restock with come cheap guys, and yes I agree, they seem good at finding and developing them.

Much better than the Sabres anyway, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing them in cap trouble, so we could perhaps pick up one or two of their forwards.

That said, I have full confidence in the Flyers' ability to mess up when it comes to filling that goalie spot.

Moving Versteeg & Carter (as somebody else pointed out) clears more than $8MM in cap space.

I'd much rather face that squad w/ 'Steeg, Carter, and Sieverovski than w/ Ilya and a couple of rooks. They went w/out Carter for several this year and didn't miss much of a beat.

If they sign Bryzgalov, they will have unfortunately straightened out that spot.

Reimer's agent should be shot. :beer:

Nice deal for Burkey.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic on this one or not. Is it just that Reimer appears to have a starting job? He only has 37 NHL games under his belt, so I'm not so sure that I see this one as a nice deal for Burke or not. I would have expected Reimer to go for right around his qualifying offer.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic on this one or not. Is it just that Reimer appears to have a starting job? He only has 37 NHL games under his belt, so I'm not so sure that I see this one as a nice deal for Burke or not. I would have expected Reimer to go for right around his qualifying offer.

I fail to understand why people are under estimating goalie values. I've actually read on here that Miller isn't worth that or Enroth isn't worth this. I can tell you right out that skilled goaltenders, even slightly tested ones, are prime real-estate right now in the NHL.

They are as valuable as Centers at this point and time.

Bryz will get his 7+ mil, of that I do not doubt. Philly wants a cup, they have a need to fill inbetween the pipes, Bryz most certainly fills that need.

He's their only option in Toronto. I thought he had arbitration rights next year...which he's just waived...4th pro year. I would have signed the qualifying offer.

He's their only option in Toronto. I thought he had arbitration rights next year...which he's just waived...4th pro year. I would have signed the qualifying offer.

I think it's a pretty good deal for him. He may very well have played over his head last year and could easily struggle this year now that teams will be aware of him. If he does go out and become an upper tier goalie, it's still a short enough deal that he'll be at the negotiating table again soon enough.

Playing devil's advocate, maybe he and the agent realize he's the next "1 hit wonder" to defend the Loafs' crease and wants to cash in now before it becomes obvious to even Burke. (I can hope, can't I ;))

Playing devil's advocate, maybe he and the agent realize he's the next "1 hit wonder" to defend the Loafs' crease and wants to cash in now before it becomes obvious to even Burke. (I can hope, can't I ;))

I think Reimer will get solved a bit, and his numbers will decline some. But I think he's got the stuff.

I fail to understand why people are under estimating goalie values. I've actually read on here that Miller isn't worth that or Enroth isn't worth this. I can tell you right out that skilled goaltenders, even slightly tested ones, are prime real-estate right now in the NHL.

They are as valuable as Centers at this point and time.

Bryz will get his 7+ mil, of that I do not doubt. Philly wants a cup, they have a need to fill inbetween the pipes, Bryz most certainly fills that need.

No way Philly signs him to a contract with a $7 mill cap hit. They might get creative with a lot of years but we will see. And no, goaltenders are not getting top end center money right now. Then again, there hasn't been a top end goalie available for a couple of years.

Moving Versteeg & Carter (as somebody else pointed out) clears more than $8MM in cap space.

I'd much rather face that squad w/ 'Steeg, Carter, and Sieverovski than w/ Ilya and a couple of rooks. They went w/out Carter for several this year and didn't miss much of a beat.

If they sign Bryzgalov, they will have unfortunately straightened out that spot.

Perhaps, I guess we'll know shortly.

That said, in a perfect world we'd be worrying what the Sabres are doing rather than what he competition are doing.

No way Philly signs him to a contract with a $7 mill cap hit. They might get creative with a lot of years but we will see. And no, goaltenders are not getting top end center money right now. Then again, there hasn't been a top end goalie available for a couple of years.

I think you better sit down cause he won't sign for under 7 a year, his agent has already put that out there.

Also, the right to just negotiate with him went for a 3rd, a conditional (would love to see what the condition is) and a mid level prospect.

Just for the right to talk to him and his agent for roughly 22 or so days.

If you don't think the value of goalies has gone up, that's cool. I happen to have a differing opinion. There are more teams out there that hope to compete for the Cup and will need Goaltending. This definitely just upped the price of Vokoun for sure.

And if the Sabers were so inclined to trade either Miller or Enroth, it also inherently ups their value as well. Not that the club would or would not do so, but that the value is at a higher premium now than it was prior to the Philly offer.

Once Bryz signs, and he will, Philly isn't playing around with the goalie issue anymore, that goalie market is going to be the "Field of Dreams" this off season for both teams looking to deal already signed puck stoppers as well as other net minders that are looking to cash in this off season in my humble opinion.

I think you are right. I'm expecting the total value of the contract to be high, but the cap hit to even out....which means they might sign him through the second Palin administration.

I think you better sit down cause he won't sign for under 7 a year, his agent has already put that out there.

Also, the right to just negotiate with him went for a 3rd, a conditional (would love to see what the condition is) and a mid level prospect.

Just for the right to talk to him and his agent for roughly 22 or l

If you don't think the value of goalies has gone up, that's cool. I happen to have a differing opinion. There are more teams out there that hope to compete for the Cup and will need Goaltending. This definitely just upped the price of Vokoun for sure.

And if the Sabers were so inclined to trade either Miller or Enroth, it also inherently ups their value as well. Not that the club would or would not do so, but that the value is at a higher premium now than it was prior to the Philly offer.

Once Bryz signs, and he will, Philly isn't playing around with the goalie issue anymore, that goalie market is going to be the "Field of Dreams" this off season for both teams looking to deal already signed puck stoppers as well as other net minders that are looking to cash in this off season in my humble opinion.

Phone screwing up, sorry.

Anyway, look what Niemi, Crawford and Howard signed for. Goalies aren't getting premium bucks though the market is always in a state of flux.

One other point. It's not like Philly hasn't traded for rights before without signing the player.

You're right.

I think the Toronto papers printed that Byzgolov turned down nine years, $60 million from Phoenix. (6.6 cap hit)

If he can't get more money from Philly, and the issue seems to be money....he can still sign with Phoenix.

Multiple NHL sources have told The Dispatch that the Blue Jackets and Philadelphia Flyers have discussed a trade that would send Flyers center Jeff Carter, an All-Star in 2009, to Columbus for a top-six forward and the No. 8 overall pick in this year's draft. That top-six forward, presumably, is 21-year-old Blue Jackets winger Jake Voracek, a restricted free agent.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/09/philadelphia-center-is-top-trade-target-for-howson.html?sid=101

Not much the Sabres could do to match that. Maybe Ennis & a 1st, even then they'd probably prefer to trade him to a team in the West.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/09/philadelphia-center-is-top-trade-target-for-howson.html?sid=101

Not much the Sabres could do to match that. Maybe Ennis & a 1st, even then they'd probably prefer to trade him to a team in the West.

That's plausible....if Philly gets into the top 10 they will probably take a defenseman...even though they've done a poor job developing them.

Archived