Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

spndnchz

I think this is a valid point. I can only speak for myself, but I know that if somehow this current roster and management pulled off a miracle and won it all, I would not enjoy it as much as many of you. Not because I am less of a fan, or because I need to be right.....it's because I have a total lack of respect for 50% of the people that make up that "system". It's better than a few years ago where it was pushing 80%....but the point is, I root for the Sabres because they are part of and represent Buffalo. Buffalo is the city I was born in, grew up in, and returned to. I love my family, my friends, and the people of Buffalo in general. I want those people to enjoy a championship. Not because they are Sabres or Bills fans, but because they are Buffalonians.

Now....what do you do in other aspects of life when you don't respect someone? If you want to look at the Sabres as a "family member", maybe an uncle...you are taught from an early age to love your family. You get together at holidays, talk on the phone, have a bbq, etc. But what happens when your uncle starts acting strange? What happens when he comes over and drinks too much at Thanksgiving, and tells you mom she cooks like crap and never should have married your dad? What happens when your uncle takes pills out of the medicine cabinet, and cash out of your wallet, then denies it? What happens when you start getting some curves on you, and your uncle holds that hug 5 seconds too long, or grabs you in a "playfull" manner, laughing it off as all in fun?

I can handle a little boozing from uncle....if he appologizes when he sobers up...no harm no foul....part of the territory of dealing with family.

I can't handle a violation of trust however. When i am lied to, and have my belongings taken from me when I am supposed to trust you....that is a no go. If you are down on your luck and are honest with me....i will do everything i can to help you out or get you help. If you lie to my face.....i want nothing to do with you.

In the last case....I think on this board, for a while there were too many here willing to put up with that behavior. "He's my uncle...he doesn't mean anything by it...I know he loves me and I love him." In the mean time....when you let him get away with that, he starts to get bolder and bolder.....if you aren't going to say anything about it, instead of a long embrace, or pat on the ######...it gets more deliberate. His intentions towards you become more clear...and you better stand up for yourself, or you will have a lifetime of issues. You can't let past good times or loyalty get in the way....kick him in his nads and tell him off.

Do I want what's best for the Buffalo family. Yes. Will I stand for my Uncle lying to me and playing grabass....No.

I still have plenty of other family members that I trust fully and love. If Uncle Sabre needs to go away awhile until he cleans up his act, then that is what needs to happen. Sometimes a drunk, or a cheat needs to hit rock bottom before the help that is truly needed is sought after. However, he can get by for years just skating by, if those around him let him get away with it. He's never going to make something of himself or have your full trust if he keeps doing what he's doing. Something has to change.

Maybe DeLuca will enjoy a Stanley Cup full bore, but I won't...because I can't. Not with this uncle. Hope all you want, and smile when he's in the crowd at your high school graduation....but 3 hours later, when you are at the after party, and he's on Corona #10, I hope you can keep smiling when he puts that icecube down your top and mushes it all around. After all.....you love him, right?

:lol: Classic!

...and an alcoholic apparently.

Ya, but, he did pay his bar tabs on a weekly basis. Hasn't missed one in 13 years now, except that week back in 99. Oh, he claimed he was in Dallas for the week..................................

I really can't fault the ghost of DD for feeling this way, its been so frustrating all these years without a Stanley Cup it was bound to start driving some of the fans to some deeply repressed memories.

I bet DeLuca hasn't had a good nights sleep since Ruff and Regier were hired. PA, any suggestions to help this fan cope? B-)

Burn your Fruit of the Looms.

Since he (she) is sort of, maybe, possibly relating the Sabres to the creepy uncle would a sports pyschologist be in order?

To late, he missed Bucky's live chat session this morning. We'll have to get him in there next week. :rolleyes:

ghost, i don't want to make light of your metaphor, but, for me, the predicate is mislaid.

i do not want to think of the sabres as a family member. and i won't. rather, i think of them as my beloved hometown hockey team. that's it.

i'll offer some simple examples of the divergence: when pominville [sic?] scored the series clincher against ott'wa, i was at the e.r. with my 2nd-born. nothing too serious. she couldn't breathe owing to some weird croup/asthma thing that came on like a house of fire, and then faded quickly and hasn't returned since (thankfully). the other kids were in bed, one of whom was a new baby, so i rode in the ambulance to the hospital during the second period. another one that may make the point more clearly: when drury scored the last second goal to tie the rangers? i was at a recital with my 1st-born, who'd worked her tuckus off to "master" (sort of) a chopin piece on the piano. i was (am) so damn proud of her for that.

so, the sabres aren't a family member. i don't even need to "like" the "boys in the room" (ugh) let alone the FO or the owner in order to take joy in the team's successes and take pain from its failures. it's a bonus if i perceive a few of the players as good guys, but, really, what the ###### do i know about them, really? answer: i don't.

if and when the sabres win a cup, i will be screaming my fool head off wherever i am, irrespective of who's on the team, irrespective of who's running the team, irrespective of who's signing the checks.

What is it that makes you say you will scream your head off?

To feel jubilation, there has to be some sort of attachment.

Why are you attached? Geography? Marketing? Habbit?

And if you don't care about the character of those in the organization, what joy do they deliver to you that is so great that you are willing to overlook it? They don't make you any money...in fact, you pay them for it? Why is it that you get that "rush"? Why do you NEED that rush.

At least you admit you don't care about the makeup of the team, which is one step further than the denial many choose to take.....but the next logical step is to ask "Why am I a fan?"

What is it that makes you say you will scream your head off?

To feel jubilation, there has to be some sort of attachment.

Why are you attached? Geography? Marketing? Habbit?

And if you don't care about the character of those in the organization, what joy do they deliver to you that is so great that you are willing to overlook it? They don't make you any money...in fact, you pay them for it? Why is it that you get that "rush"? Why do you NEED that rush.

At least you admit you don't care about the makeup of the team, which is one step further than the denial many choose to take.....but the next logical step is to ask "Why am I a fan?"

First, let's go back to the early days. What is your first childhood memory?

Not sure why Spinach edited her original post about her field trip yesterday. Maybe she submitted it to the wrong site. Anyway,I am SO glad I have the e-mail notification! Chz, you need to expand your career options beyond the law and look into the entertainment industry!

And for the record, chz is officially a girl. Guys don't write like that.

If you will excuse me, I am going to take my printout of chz's original post and retire to the bathroom for a few minutes...

first things first: what's with the chz post? i usually lay off this stuff, but dammit, it's the offseason.

What is it that makes you say you will scream your head off? ... but the next logical step is to ask "Why am I a fan?"

ghost, i don't think there's any point in perpetuating this (but wait! i just did!) because where we're coming from is so fundamentally different that i am sure we'd just keep talking past each other.

i'm a fan because cheering for the good guys to skate, shoot, score, and win makes me feel like a kid again. another ancillary benefit, i like the way being a fan lets me connect with my friends and neighbors.

socrates talked about how the unexamined life isn't worth a fig. maybe so. i submit that an over-analyzed fandom isn't worth holding onto either.

Archived