Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

spndnchz

You're right. And why should we be?

It's not a bad signing, but it's typical on-the-cheap thinking.

We need size, experience, and a winner, especially up the middle.

Darcy brings us a 35 year old, 10 goal scoring, plays smaller than his vitals, $1 million guy looking to spend the last year or two of his career in a family friendly town with little pressure before heading off into the sunset on his BC ranch.

Darcy gets to check off some columns on the need list for a buck over six figures. That's how he can sleep at night thinking he is good at his job.

Once again.....find me a player on this roster than can net 15+ goals and that has a testosterone level higher than a Vienna Choir Boy.

You can't do it.

I appreciate the humor. My point isn't that these guys are sucking up to the team, it's that if they don't give us inside info, then all they are really doing is watching the games and the press conferences -- same as we are -- and opining on what they see -- same as we do. Leaving Bill's recent hissy fit out of it, he's far from the only one in this category. Where are Bucky, Vogl, Harrington, Hamilton, etc.? I really get the sense that they have no better idea of the plans and priorities of the organization than we do.

I don't disagree in the least.

I have to wonder what our regional sports writers/reporters actually do for the fan base other than be pundits to moves already made. Heck nfreeman, you and I can do that and get paid for it, probably with better results.

My point isn't that these guys are sucking up to the team, it's that if they don't give us inside info, then all they are really doing is watching the games and the press conferences -- same as we are -- and opining on what they see -- same as we do. Leaving Bill's recent hissy fit out of it, he's far from the only one in this category. Where are Bucky, Vogl, Harrington, Hamilton, etc.? I really get the sense that they have no better idea of the plans and priorities of the organization than we do.

this is more than fair.

what fellas like that do do (doo-be-doo-be-do)(or what they are supposed to do) is devote their working lives to considering carefully the same information that is made available to us. as a result, people who write about sports for a living generally have a greater historical context at the ready, opinions that are a bit more fleshed out, and some insight from off-the-record conversations or idle banter. but, as you say, they're generally formulating all of that based on the same corpus of information that fans have.

all of which is a significant reason why sports journalism as a career is, depending on who you ask, either on its way out or evolving to something that will only remotely resemble what someone like larry felser used to do. deadspin's founder will leitch addressed this issue in his "god save the fan" bathroom reader -- the book as a whole was disappointing to me, but this particular point was well made therein.

what fellas like that do do (doo-be-doo-be-do)(or what they are supposed to do) is devote their working lives to considering carefully the same information that is made available to us. as a result, people who write about sports for a living generally have a greater historical context at the ready, opinions that are a bit more fleshed out, and some insight from off-the-record conversations or idle banter. but, as you say, they're generally formulating all of that based on the same corpus of information that fans have.

+1

Sports writers, generally speaking, aren't writing for the diehard fans that troll the internet for hockey news. They're writing for the person that gets the News and thinks, "I wonder what the Sabres are up to?".

My point isn't that these guys are sucking up to the team, it's that if they don't give us inside info, then all they are really doing is watching the games and the press conferences -- same as we are -- and opining on what they see -- same as we do. Leaving Bill's recent hissy fit out of it, he's far from the only one in this category. Where are Bucky, Vogl, Harrington, Hamilton, etc.? I really get the sense that they have no better idea of the plans and priorities of the organization than we do.

That's one of the reasons I shield myself from the local sports media. Quite frankly, I do not believe that they are a higher authority than I.

Darcy brings us a 35 year old, 10 goal scoring, plays smaller than his vitals, $1 million guy looking to spend the last year or two of his career in a family friendly town with little pressure before heading off into the sunset on his BC ranch.

Darcy gets to check off some columns on the need list for a buck over six figures. That's how he can sleep at night thinking he is good at his job.

Once again.....find me a player on this roster than can net 15+ goals and that has a testosterone level higher than a Vienna Choir Boy.

You can't do it.

If this is the last move in the forward ranks, I will entirely agree with you.

As for 15+ goals and testosterone, I think Kennedy has plenty and will score 15 this year. But your point is 100% accurate viz. the top 6.

I appreciate the humor. My point isn't that these guys are sucking up to the team, it's that if they don't give us inside info, then all they are really doing is watching the games and the press conferences -- same as we are -- and opining on what they see -- same as we do. Leaving Bill's recent hissy fit out of it, he's far from the only one in this category. Where are Bucky, Vogl, Harrington, Hamilton, etc.? I really get the sense that they have no better idea of the plans and priorities of the organization than we do.

You're angry when you're beautiful.

I think you're a little off base on this one. The reporters can build up some sort of relationship with players and staff that can lead to some insight in columns, but they're not going to give them some inside knowledge of who the team is trying to sign. Most teams are not going to let that kind of info get out, especially this front office. There is nothing to gain from it. That kind of stuff only makes its way to the biggest media sources out there, the TSN's and Toronto Globe and Mail's of the hockey world. Let's face it, none of the guys we have here are exactly writing for the New York Times. They definitely serve a purpose, but if you're looking to them for earth shattering news, you're looking in the wrong place.

If this is the last move in the forward ranks, I will entirely agree with you.

As for 15+ goals and testosterone, I think Kennedy has plenty and will score 15 this year. But your point is 100% accurate viz. the top 6.

Top 6...Bobby Ryan...Staff, Gerbe & a #1. We filled a center hole...but now we should fill the gapping hole...big, tough, talented winger. With Burke in Toronto, maybe the Ducks would be foolish enough to take on Staff's $$$

I am happy with the Neidermeyer signing because I think there is actual value there. I think some people are happy just because a move was made -- whatever.

I was curious as to any relationship that might exist between Neidermeyer and Bobby Ryan. When I checked, I saw that they played together in Anaheim for a couple years. One can dream that it was a mentorship and Ryan feels like he owes him something now, so he comes to Buffalo to play.

I also did not realize that Bobby Ryan played for the Portland Pirates before they became the Sabres affiliate. Was there any carry-over of management that can draw Ryan to the Sabres organization?

Hey, I am happy with the Neidermeyer signing, but if they pull in Bobby Ryan...

Top 6...Bobby Ryan...Staff, Gerbe & a #1. We filled a center hole...but now we should fill the gapping hole...big, tough, talented winger. With Burke in Toronto, maybe the Ducks would be foolish enough to take on Staff's $$

There is NFW the Ducks would take that crappy package for Ryan, who is a young star player.

Also, Stafford has one year left on his contract at $1.9MM -- not much of a contract for Anaheim (or any other would-be trading partner) to swallow.

And I must point out that none of the WNY media sources had a clue ahead of time about this signing either (or if they did they didn't say so).

Clearly a no'see'um... like that he is a veteran, like that he costs 1M, like that he a center, dislike that he is 35, dislike that he is a 50% faceoff dude.

I think you're a little off base on this one. The reporters can build up some sort of relationship with players and staff that can lead to some insight in columns, but they're not going to give them some inside knowledge of who the team is trying to sign. Most teams are not going to let that kind of info get out, especially this front office. There is nothing to gain from it. That kind of stuff only makes its way to the biggest media sources out there, the TSN's and Toronto Globe and Mail's of the hockey world. Let's face it, none of the guys we have here are exactly writing for the New York Times. They definitely serve a purpose, but if you're looking to them for earth shattering news, you're looking in the wrong place.

I agree with the bolded part, but I also think most cities' hockey writers have more insight into their teams' personnel moves than Buffalo's do. You're in Boston -- compare what you see in the Globe to what you see in the WNY media.

Now, I'll admit that most of what you see in the Toronto or Ottawa papers about personnel moves turns out to be BS, but they at least seem more plugged in to their teams.

There is NFW the Ducks would take that crappy package for Ryan, who is a young star player.

Also, Stafford has one year left on his contract at $1.9MM -- not much of a contract for Anaheim (or any other would-be trading partner) to swallow.

It will take less then you think...or they will lose him for nothing...since it sounds like he doesn't want to be there any more.

You can't do it.

Seriously? Niedermayer signed here to collect a pay check before riding off into the sunset? :lol:

It will take less then you think...or they will lose him for nothing...since it sounds like he doesn't want to be there any more.

He's restricted, so they have the right to keep him if they want. The only way they lose him for nothing is if he retires, which isn't gonna happen.

I agree with the bolded part, but I also think most cities' hockey writers have more insight into their teams' personnel moves than Buffalo's do. You're in Boston -- compare what you see in the Globe to what you see in the WNY media.

Now, I'll admit that most of what you see in the Toronto or Ottawa papers about personnel moves turns out to be BS, but they at least seem more plugged in to their teams.

Boston's not the best examples since everything with them recently has been coming from the big time media sources thanks to their constant dealings with Toronto. It's all speculation though. You really don't see much more than "Boston would like to move Thomas" or the Savard stuff. The Thomas thing is common sense, but the Savard stuff is just speculation based off of previous reports and some media spin of comments made by Cam Neely. You're not going to find any newspaper that prints a 100% factual account of what a team's plans are. If a team let's that cat out of the bag, they lose negotiation power and other teams can try to beat them to the punch.

If I had to think of the type of media guy who might be a good source for the organization side of things, it would be a former GM/front office guy. Are there many of those in the hockey media world right now? I know static mentioned the interview with McLean recently. Obviously the Snews and GR don't have that kind of guy on staff.

And the press coverage in Toronto and Ottawa and Montreal and probably even a couple of American cities makes it that much more fun to a fan of those teams. Apparently the Buffalo "media" got the memo from LQ that Sabredom is to be a deadly dull place. They're all doing a circle jerk over there, press included. You've nailed it, my friend. There are things that just aren't done in the world of Buffalo hockey. It must be inscribed in some tablet that floated up on shore behind the arena one day. Thou Shalt Not Make a Splash In Free Agency. Thou Shalt Not Break a Story. And so on.

Yes! :worthy:

He's restricted, so they have the right to keep him if they want. The only way they lose him for nothing is if he retires, which isn't gonna happen.

Not this year...would you rather have some guys locked in or 1 for a year...if we don't try...Burke will get him next year.

Seriously? Niedermayer signed here to collect a pay check before riding off into the sunset? :lol:

Completely agree. This is a mediocre player at the end of his career looking for a final resting place.

Yeah, he won't hurt us - but he isn't what we really need either.

Plus I think it's important to deal with the dead wood on this team that has value (Connolly & Stafford). I'm encouraged that Darcy is still making moves, I hope he's far from done.

Archived